PDA

View Full Version : How much can you tighten compensator on washers.

circuit
05-26-12, 14:10
I bought a battle comp and was mounting it on my rifle and it came with different sized washers. And the closest I could get it to being at 6 o'clock about a quarter turn away and wanted to know would it be safe to tighten it that much?

Hmac
05-26-12, 14:21
If you're talking installation of your BattleComp over shims or peel washers, then you need a thickness that will allow you to clock the device correctly with about 45 ft-lbs of torque. That's usually about 30-50 degrees of rotation.

Every BattleComp I've bought has come with a crush washer though. Those are far easier and more consistent to use than peel washers. They'll crush over 360 degrees (tighten-loosen-tighten-loosen 90 degrees at a time). Torque wrench unnecessary.

circuit
05-26-12, 14:30
oh ok I might go ahead and order a crush washer. It came with this shim alignment set thing, with different sized shims.
Thanks

Eric
05-26-12, 19:47
Unless something has changed, the BC should come with a crush washer.

Apricotshot
05-26-12, 19:55
2.0 BC's come with shims based on that most will be using a suppressor like a HALO. Otherwise most get the 1.0 if no can is to be used.

bp7178
05-26-12, 20:09
If you're talking installation of your BattleComp over shims or peel washers, then you need a thickness that will allow you to clock the device correctly with about 45 ft-lbs of torque. That's usually about 30-50 degrees of rotation.

Every BattleComp I've bought has come with a crush washer though. Those are far easier and more consistent to use than peel washers. They'll crush over 360 degrees (tighten-loosen-tighten-loosen 90 degrees at a time). Torque wrench unnecessary.

45 foot pounds of torque is about 20 too much.

I would never exceed 25ft-lbs for a muzzle device. Use a little Rocksett if your worried about it. The difference between hand tight and torqued should be about 1/12 of a turn, the same as going from 12 o'clock to 1 o'clock.

You can really mess up a barrel by going nuts with the torque on a muzzle device.

twodollarbill
05-26-12, 20:49

I would never exceed 25ft-lbs for a muzzle device. Use a little Rocksett if your worried about it. The difference between hand tight and torqued should be about 1/12 of a turn, the same as going from 12 o'clock to 1 o'clock.

You can really mess up a barrel by going nuts with the torque on a muzzle device.

+1 My thoughts exactly.

PRGGodfather
05-26-12, 22:24
BC2.0s come with shim kits, as they are intended to be compatible with a HALO suppressor (with Rocksett applied, as well). If you do not plan to use a suppressor, a crush washer is acceptable.

We recommend professional installation for these reasons. Feel free to contact us for assistance, at your own risk. 20 lbs is the minimum torque required for shim kits, 25 as the max.

AR15barrels
05-26-12, 23:23
When I install muzzle devices with shims, I typically clock it to around 10:30 to 11:00 at finger tight and then tighten to straight up...

Hmac
05-27-12, 08:16

My bad...sorry. I was going from an apparently faulty memory, and from torquing down a FSC556 years ago with shims to 20 ft-lbs and having it come loose. I've always used crush washers on the BattleComps 1.0's, never bothered with a torque wrench and haven't had one come loose. No suppressors allowed here in Minnesota Prefect.

aaron_c
05-27-12, 10:35
When I install muzzle devices with shims, I typically clock it to around 10:30 to 11:00 at finger tight and then tighten to straight up...

That's how I installed my BC a couple months ago as well. I got it to somewhere around 9:30 to 10:00 without tools and tightened it the rest of the way with a wrench.