PDA

View Full Version : Should i not buy a glock?

morbidbattlecry
05-26-12, 19:11
So i've been looking into getting a Glock 17. And upon doing my research about it that i do before i buy i find they have ejection problems. I've been eyeing a Gen 3 which has the problems as well. And my question is how wide spread is the problem? Are there plenty of guns running just fine? Is it bad enough to not buy a glock at the moment. Or go out and buy one and see how it shoots.

:Edit: I should have made what i said clearer my fault. I'm worried about getting a glock thats going to throw brass at my eyes. It seams if you get one that does it there isn't much of a fix.

KennyFSU
05-26-12, 19:34
Most ejection issues with Glocks stem from the shooter, i.e., limp-wristing. That being said, I've owned every 9mm Glock ( sans 18) and have had nothing but great experiences with them.

The 34 I currently own has plenty of trigger work done and is an excellent range plinker. Good luck, you won't be disappointed with a Glock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gunnut284
05-26-12, 19:42
You will probably be fine with a new one, there have been some problems but the recent ones I've shot worked fine. If you are really concerned about it buy a used one from a few years ago.

KennyFSU
05-26-12, 19:44
I have not heard many issues with the gen 3s. The early gen 4s had recoil spring issues but Glock had since rectum-fied the problems. ;)

Palmguy
05-26-12, 19:52
I have not heard many issues with the gen 3s. The early gen 4s had recoil spring issues but Glock had since rectum-fied the problems. ;)

There have been issues with ejectors/extractors on newer guns to include Gen3s. Do some reading on this forum for more info.

That said, I am not scared of new Glocks and I have a couple with the MIM extractor that I am going to be testing out soon.

KennyFSU
05-26-12, 19:54
I see, I guess I owned the early-mid ones. Like all things in life, they don't make them like they used to!

Jaysop
05-26-12, 19:54
Read the Glock gen3 /gen4 problem thread and decide for yourself.
My new Gen3 19 had issues.

rotorblade
05-26-12, 20:16
The 4th Gen 17 I have seems to work good. But its only got about 3000 rnds through it, I clean it religiously, and I keep a good eye on it.
DO NOT take this as a run out and buy one now!! I think I got lucky haven't had a case to the head or any malfunctions. I have had a few head back at the 4:30 O'clock area, but nothing to the head.
I bought it just for shits and giggles basically I needed a full size handgun and though oh what the hell. Got it for $509 from a local dealer. Plan was if it went to the crapper and brass to the head I would give Glock a chance and then sell if they didn't fix it. Then Buy a M&P full size 9. When I get the cash I am going to get a M&P and compare the 2 for my self. Keep the best sell the worst.

Right now I think waiting a little while longer might be a better idea unless you really have the cash and want to give it a spin.

KennyFSU
05-26-12, 20:19
You could also rent one at a local range and see how you like it.

pr1042
05-26-12, 20:56
Most ejection issues with Glocks stem from the shooter, i.e., limp-wristing.

Maybe true in the past, Pretty far from the truth these days

KennyFSU
05-26-12, 21:00
It happened numerous times when my girlfriend fired my 19 about two years ago; although she had no issues with the 17. Less recoil perhaps.

And that's why we're not together anymore.

Iraq Ninja
05-27-12, 00:30
A Glock 17 is probably the most reliable handgun out there. I carried one OCONUS for over 7 years and it never let me down. The gun goes BANG when I want it to, and thus I can't ask anymore from it...

BCmJUnKie
05-27-12, 01:14
I own a Gen II and a Gen 4 both.

I have experienced ZERO ejection or extraction issues with either one.

I keep reading problems with the Gen 4, Im starting to think its the shooter

morbidbattlecry
05-27-12, 01:35
The shooter can cause a glock to eject brass at 6:00? I've seen limp wristing cause feeding problems. But not change ejection patterns.

turrican
05-27-12, 03:33
a few people have had isolated problems magnified a million times by the Internet. Anybody remember the threads about them blowing up?
I've got thousands of rounds through every generation including 4. Never even had a stoppage of any kind and no brass in my face. I haven't even changed the spring in my early gen4 19. I figure if it ain't broke........

madmike3668
05-27-12, 03:41
I've bought 3 gen 3's in the last year (g19, g17, and g23) and they all run fine. No brass in my face.

Guinnessman
05-27-12, 07:12
I have a Gen 3 19 with a test fire date of 11/11 and a Gen 4 17 with a test fire date of 07/10.

The Gen 4 was sent back to Glock this past November and Glock returned it with the new ejector and RSA. It has had 500 trouble free rounds put down the pipe since then. 500 rounds is not a whole lot of ammo to pass judgement on, but it is a start.

The Gen 3 19 was bought in November as a back-up to my current Gen 3 G19. It has 500 rounds thru it as this point with one FTE by a novice shooter that appeared to be due to a poor grip. My brother (who owns and shoots Glocks) and I put the majority of the rounds thru the gun with no other issues. The ejection pattern was from 3-4 O'clock.

With the Apex extractors coming soon, I would not hesitate to buy another Glock. The Smith M&P looks like another good option, but with its accuracy issues in 9mm you are still taking a risk with the M&P.

The only gun on the market today that seems to be completely problem free is an HK. I sold a DA/SA P30 a year ago, and I regret selling it to this day. The reason that I sold it was because I wanted to move away from DA/SA. Maybe I will see a P30 LEM in my future.

CDW4ME
05-27-12, 07:30
I've had no problem with generation 3 Glocks (19,23,26,27)

Tango Charlie145
05-27-12, 07:57
Just got a Gen 3 17 2 weeks ago, test fire date in March. 500 rounds so far and no issues at all. Buy with confidence.

Beat Trash
05-27-12, 08:41
There was a period during the last two to three years in which there was ejection issues. It may have been addressed. There have been various subtle changes made lately.

But for every person on the internet with issues, how many don't post on the internet who do not have issues with their gun?

If I were considering picking up another Glock 9mm, I'd either look for an older gun or try to get the newest test fired dated gun I could find.

Supposedly Glock is currently backordered in the neighborhood of 600,000 guns. I'm sure this number (if accurate) will only grow as we get closer to the November elections. So if you want a Glock 9mm, I'd go ahead and get it now.

avengd7x
05-27-12, 09:12
I'd try to find a pre 2010 glock. I own 2 post 2010s and they've giving me ejection problems (1 is a gen 4 made in 2012 one is a gen 3 from late 2010)

I've also got 4 pre 2010 glocks (gen 2 & 3) and I've never had a problem.

If I were you, I'd just keep an eye out for a used one. There are plenty out there. From my experience, gen 2 epitomises glock perfection.

AmmoUp
05-27-12, 09:13
Yeah this is the first time I have heard of Glock problems.

Mine run 100%

Gutshot John
05-27-12, 09:21
This is the problem with internet firearms discussions.

A few people report a genuine problem with ____ brand, and that gets interpreted as "all ___s suck!" Before you know it, the ___ is the worst POS ever foisted on the public and you're much better off with ___. This of course ignores that most owners of ____ report no problems with their guns and shoot them just fine.

There is no perfect gun. All guns have quirks and may require tweaking.

Find the gun you shoot best with and stick with it.

DeltaSierra
05-27-12, 09:32
I own a Gen II and a Gen 4 both.

I have experienced ZERO ejection or extraction issues with either one.

I keep reading problems with the Gen 4, Im starting to think its the shooter

i carry a late model gen. 3 19 and haven't had an issue.

can't quite say it is the shooter all the time though, as some of the people that are having issues are pretty competent shooters...

Hmac
05-27-12, 09:41
This is the problem with internet firearms discussions.

A few people report a genuine problem with ____ brand, and that gets interpreted as "all ___s suck!" Before you know it, the ___ is the worst POS ever foisted on the public and you're much better off with ___. This of course ignores that most owners of ____ report no problems with their guns and shoot them just fine.

There is no perfect gun. All guns have quirks and may require tweaking.

Find the gun you shoot best with and stick with it.

I was put in mind of this as I was reading the Recent manufacture M&P 9 accuracy thread. I have an M&P 9L which shoots fine, but I am looking at a good deal from my LGS on a NIB Gen III G19. My first Glock other than a G17 I gave to my son.

I was interested to note that, checking various gun sites around the web on Glock extraction issues and M&P accuracy issues, M4C is referred to frequently in the discussions, and not always in flattering terms.

Grain of salt. Always a good condiment when researching on the internet.

pr1042
05-27-12, 10:01
I'd try to find a pre 2010 glock. I own 2 post 2010s and they've giving me ejection problems (1 is a gen 4 made in 2012 one is a gen 3 from late 2010)

I've also got 4 pre 2010 glocks (gen 2 & 3) and I've never had a problem.

If I were you, I'd just keep an eye out for a used one. There are plenty out there. From my experience, gen 2 epitomises glock perfection.

Posted in another thread but I recently picked up a Fxx prefix 19 that pelts me in the head with cases. Was pretty disappointed Considering I can get a brand new gen 4 19 for 10 bucks more but I didn't want to roll the dice with another gen 4.

drsal
05-27-12, 10:09
Have had a G19 and G17 for past 5 years, never had an issue, friends and co-workers have been using them for years with no problem....when did all these 'glock issues' start? Perhaps I have a limited circle of friends, but no one I know ever had a problem with one.

pr1042
05-27-12, 10:14
2010 seems to be the magical year that things started going south

aaron_c
05-27-12, 10:39
I asked a similar question a while back. I ended up with a Gen 3 G19 thinking I'd be safe from the Gen 4 early issues. Turns out my late Gen 3 had all the ejection issues and after trying to fix it, Glock USA exchanged it for a Gen 4 G19 (which they replaced with updated parts before they sent me, without me even having to ask). That handgun has been 100% flawless since then, extremely accurate. The difference is this- in the Gen 3, they can't really fix the issues due to parts interchangeability issues. In the Gen 4, they can replace the inside parts if yours has any issue and it should fix the problem.

My Gen 4 G19 is the best handgun I've ever owned.

gunrunner505
05-27-12, 21:10
The easy answer, no, you shouldn't. But that's just me. Lot's of people swear by them.

Jaysop
05-27-12, 21:18
I asked a similar question a while back. I ended up with a Gen 3 G19 thinking I'd be safe from the Gen 4 early issues. Turns out my late Gen 3 had all the ejection issues and after trying to fix it, Glock USA exchanged it for a Gen 4 G19 (which they replaced with updated parts before they sent me, without me even having to ask). That handgun has been 100% flawless since then, extremely accurate. The difference is this- in the Gen 3, they can't really fix the issues due to parts interchangeability issues. In the Gen 4, they can replace the inside parts if yours has any issue and it should fix the problem.

My Gen 4 G19 is the best handgun I've ever owned.

I've seen a few people say that glock swapped out a late manufacture gen3 for a gen 4. If required could you request a replacement gen3. I didn't buy a gen 3 to have it fixed with a gen 4.
I'm glad to hear yours is running well.

jo-mach
05-27-12, 23:26
Had gen 3 for years and never had a problem with any -- agree with previous -- have to have a good tight grip on glock when firing

aaron_c
05-28-12, 00:30
Yes, they offered me the choice between a Gen 3 and a Gen 4.

I've seen a few people say that glock swapped out a late manufacture gen3 for a gen 4. If required could you request a replacement gen3. I didn't buy a gen 3 to have it fixed with a gen 4.
I'm glad to hear yours is running well.