PDA

View Full Version : Gun choice

Freddie
05-26-12, 20:31
What up guy I'd like you alls help I am wanting to buy a new gun to carry but really don't know what to get I'd like a pocket pistol. I already have a glock 27 and a m&p40c but to big for the pocket. I've been looking at the pm9 or the shield but don't know which would be better. I have used the search tab on here and see mixed reviews on the pm9. So really any help would be great

Traveshamockery
05-26-12, 21:15
You'll need large pockets for the Shield. It's actually taller than the M&P9c.

I like my Shield but don't have a holster yet, so I haven't carried it.

Freddie
05-26-12, 21:21
I have a white hat super tuck for my glock and they sale a kydecs for the shield but I'm just thinking if I need a iwb y not just stay with the 27 But I have two m&ps and love them both

Beat Trash
05-27-12, 09:24
I own both the PM9 and the Shield.

Also own the Glock 26 and the M&P9c for comparison.

I rarely pocket carry a primary gun. But with that said, here's my thoughts.

The PM9 carries and conceals better in a pocket better than anything else I've tried, without going to a sub-caliber gun. Even better than my S&W 642 revolver.

But the PM9 does at a cost. My PM9 is reliable. Some have had issues. The DAO trigger is smooth, but different than a Glock or M&P if that's what you're used to.

The gun is almost too small. It makes holding onto it while shooting a challenge. Grabbing the gun and drawing while under stress is also a challenge due to the size of the grip. Here's where the J-frame 642 beats the PM9. The size and shape of the 642's grip makes it easier to grab and draw under stress.

Remember the reason we carry a gun is so that we can put rounds on target quickly and while under stress, should the need arise.

The Shield is thin enough to pocket carry in many pockets. The weight of a loaded Shield will require a good belt. But the Shield is much easier to shoot proficiently and while under stress than the PM9. The Shield feels like shooting a larger gun than a sub-compact.

I'll most likely hang onto my PM9. But my Shield has taken it's place.

On the rare situations I need to pocket carry the gun, I'll use the same type of cheap Uncle Mikes pocket holster I've used for years with the 642 and the PM9. One of the few Uncle Mikes products I have any use for.

Though instead of going the pocket holster route for the Shield, I bought a Raven Concealment System's Phantom holster. The thinness of the holster and the thinness of the gun makes the combo a joy to carry IWB. After carrying various guns IWB for the last 29 years, I don't notice this combo.

How set are you on pocket carry?

Quick sidetrack. This Phantom holster was my first RCS product. Of course with my luck being what it is, I had a problem with the holster. The retention was a bit too tight for my liking. One call to RCS and I was told, "Hmm... Sorry about that... We'll take care of it." As best as I can tell, my holster didn't spend an entire work day in their shop before it was shipped back to me with the problem solved.

Any manufacture can have the occasional issue with one of their products. How willing and able they are to stand behind their product after the sale is what separates them from their competition. I'll be doing more business with them in the future.

If you're not set on pocket carry, then I'd look hard at the Shield & RCS Phantom combination.

If you must pocket carry, then depending on the pockets the PM9 may be your best option. But realize that pocket carry does have its limitations.

Freddie
05-27-12, 09:41
(beat trash) thanks for your reply I really not need to pocket carry. It just seemed to be easier to put it in my pocket but I didn't think about drawing it if I need to I guess if I need a pocket pistal I could buy a LCp later down the line. Ima go with the shield if I can find one

drsal
05-27-12, 10:15
I have never really carried a pocket pistol, but an associate uses a Ruger LCP as one for EDC; don't know if that helps you.

xcravx
05-27-12, 15:17
[...]

The PM9 carries and conceals better in a pocket better than anything else I've tried, without going to a sub-caliber gun. Even better than my S&W 642 revolver.

But the PM9 does at a cost. My PM9 is reliable. Some have had issues. The DAO trigger is smooth, but different than a Glock or M&P if that's what you're used to.

The gun is almost too small. It makes holding onto it while shooting a challenge. Grabbing the gun and drawing while under stress is also a challenge due to the size of the grip. [...]

I've found the same thing. While my PM9 is easily concealable, it's hard for me to hold on to and shoot accurately at speed. It seems to want to twist in my had under recoil, as I can get virtually none of my support hand on the grip. Mine has been reliable, but my round count is low.

skyugo
05-27-12, 16:13
small frame revolvers are THE pocket pistol.

the shape of the gun makes it ideal for a pocket, no big square slide on the back to snag or print. Also lighter than a 9mm automatic, a basic airweight revolver is under 1 lb loaded.

It's bigger than a 380 automatic, but it's also substantially more powerful and reliable.

downsides- takes some practice to shoot well, though they point nicely and have very good mechanical accuracy. Sights kinda suck, though laser grips have made up for that. reloads are slow.