PDA

View Full Version : Ifak minimuins ,

gearguy141
05-26-12, 23:40
hey, i have to create a bar bones ifak that fits into my osoe insert designed for a double mag pouch. so far ive decided to add a single kerlix roll as well as a small pressure dressing and gloves. suggestions ?

Iraq Ninja
05-27-12, 00:06
A bare bones IFAK IMHO should start with QuickClot gauze, a npa, and a tourniquet. Kerlix is so 2006...

drsal
05-27-12, 10:45
ITS tactical has a ready made kit a little bit bigger than a P-mag.
Absolute minimum: CAT tourniquet, combat gauze, gloves, small duct tape, all fit in a plastic baggy.....which can be used as a last resort chest seal; a mojo dart if you know how to use it, does not add much bulk. Also check out austereprovisions.com; they have some inexpensive pre made kits as well.

broylz
05-27-12, 15:36
mine has a CAT tournequit, quickclot sponge, israeli bandage, NPA, Asherman Chest Seal, and a small roll of good medical tape.

Iraq Ninja
05-27-12, 20:24
Broylz,

You need to dump that asherman. There are way better things out there now. Seen em fail way too often.

Abraxas
05-27-12, 20:35
Broylz,

You need to dump that asherman. There are way better things out there now. Seen em fail way too often.

What would you suggest?

drsal
05-27-12, 20:41
Either Halo or Hyfin....I prefer Halo ...just MY .02

kmrtnsn
05-28-12, 00:08
I recently went to this ITS blowout kit and am ready to get another for my work rig. I particularly like the low profile of two zipper shell and the vacuum packed and sealed contents. ITS also make a blue training insert.

Our moderator Military Moron, just reviewed the ITS kit here,

http://www.militarymorons.com/equipment/emerg3.html#eta

TN_Warrior
05-29-12, 17:45
The ITS kit looks stellar. The video demo sold me on it. Time to find a job!

USAFPararescueDoc66
03-09-13, 18:36
A barebones IFAK kit should address the three battlefield killers; extremity bleeding, tensionphneumo, and airway control. I would advise one Israeli 6-inch pressure bandage, QuickClot, and a CAT tourniquet for extremity bleeding. As for tensionphneumo, a dart decomp needle. For airway control, an NPA (size is determinant by the diameter of your pinky finger) also include a chest seal, as well as one occlusive dressing for through and through GSW. Small items to include: Nitro gloves, safety pins (have many uses), trauma shears, and good med tape.

Stay safe

-PararescueDoc66

rickmy
04-04-13, 09:51
I run an HSGI blowout pouch on my entry belt. I have a CAT tourniquet strapped to the outside and a pair of sheers in the sheer pouch. Inside I have a roll of gauze in the bottom, followed by an Israeli dressing in a quart size bag (idea is that the bag can double as a chest dressing, and combat gauze. I have one pair of nitrile gloves rolled into the top (for handling bloodiy bad guys). My LE departments in Texas that I know of are not on board with needle decompressions, though I've been hunting for the training.

http://www.highspeedgearinc.com/proddetail.php?prod=HSG-MBP

ICANHITHIMMAN
04-04-13, 10:01
A barebones IFAK kit should address the three battlefield killers; extremity bleeding, tensionphneumo, and airway control. I would advise one Israeli 6-inch pressure bandage, QuickClot, and a CAT tourniquet for extremity bleeding. As for tensionphneumo, a dart decomp needle. For airway control, an NPA (size is determinant by the diameter of your pinky finger) also include a chest seal, as well as one occlusive dressing for through and through GSW. Small items to include: Nitro gloves, safety pins (have many uses), trauma shears, and good med tape.

Stay safe

-PararescueDoc66

That dart needle takes some training I would bet?

Gutshot John
04-04-13, 13:35
Do you want a chest seal? or do you want an occlusive dressing?

Not necessarily the same thing, though there is crossover.

Definitely ditch the asherman, they aren't great as has been mentioned, and they aren't good for much else.

Just plain (no valve) occlusive dressings can buy you more than enough time on a Pneumo (especially if you're relatively close to definitive treatment), but you'll get better performance out of a valved model like the Bolin. With a non-valve, you will have to "burp" the pneumo but it can be done. The cliche "mission drives your gear" applies yet again in this case, the key thing to consider is how far (time/space) you are from definitive treatment. Is your "definitive" (meaning a medical professional and treatment facility) treatment (a) an ER 10 miles/minutes down the road? Or (b) an ambulance at the end 10 mile hike through the bush?

You can carry a lot more of the non-valve dressings, and they can be used on more than just pneumos, besides for the same space/weight you can carry a lot more of them, but it pays to be realistic about what your needs are, and train appropriately.

There is almost no reason for a lay medic to have a decompression needle, especially as a civilian, unless you fall under the "b" category. I see more use for a needle to perform a crike though both carry a lot of potential liability.

bruin
04-04-13, 13:42
My blowout kit has a flat 4" Olaes bandage, Halo chest seals, Quickclot, TK-4L tourniquet, three pairs of nitrile gloves, and 2" med tape, all carried in a gallon-sized Ziploc which fits nicely in a HSGI Pogey pouch mounted at the back of my war belt. I have another tourniquet, gloves, and pack of compressed gauze up front.

RWCRaiden
04-19-13, 10:28
I agree with the CAT, NPA, or even OPA, gauze, gloves, tape. As far as chest seals, and tension-pneumo, what can you really do in the field without a BVM or ventilation? Yes, I understand the sealing the wound would help, but you can't reinflate the lung without PPV, unless there is something they aren't teaching us?

I'm not doubting anything, just curious. I can't see how you could really cram a BVM though into an IFAK. Maybe a pocket mask though for rescue ventilations?

I'd also suggest some triangular bandages. I've use those for bleeding control, pressure dressings on flail chest segments, and mostly splinting.

ra2bach
04-19-13, 10:44
does anyone use the Cinch-tight dressing anymore?

HawaiianM4
04-21-13, 02:10
I recently went to this ITS blowout kit and am ready to get another for my work rig. I particularly like the low profile of two zipper shell and the vacuum packed and sealed contents. ITS also make a blue training insert.

Our moderator Military Moron, just reviewed the ITS kit here,

http://www.militarymorons.com/equipment/emerg3.html#eta

thanks for the comments and links. looks like a very well put together kit. I usually have a IFAK kit for my car and one in the range bag.

GotAmmo
04-21-13, 04:55
I currently have the DARK Angel Med Kit on my rig for this deployment and it sits in its own Dbl Mag pouch

rli7275
04-21-13, 14:44
I agree with the CAT, NPA, or even OPA, gauze, gloves, tape. As far as chest seals, and tension-pneumo, what can you really do in the field without a BVM or ventilation? Yes, I understand the sealing the wound would help, but you can't reinflate the lung without PPV, unless there is something they aren't teaching us?

I'm not doubting anything, just curious. I can't see how you could really cram a BVM though into an IFAK. Maybe a pocket mask though for rescue ventilations?

I'd also suggest some triangular bandages. I've use those for bleeding control, pressure dressings on flail chest segments, and mostly splinting.
The chest seal of whatever type(Halo,Asherman, or even a bandage wrapper with good tape) should be used on all thoracic penetrating trauma. If it does go to a tension pnemo then a needle decompression will provide improvement even if the lung will not re inflate,you'll still have atmospheric pressure in the plural cavity,but the over pressure will subside and the displacement will be somewhat alleviated. You are correct that PPV or a chest tube is the only way to assure re inflation,but a seal should still be used. And I agree with another post Ashermans tend not to stick so well. Old OOD defib pads work real good too.