PDA

View Full Version : Caracal F and Caracal C Review Video

plouffedaddy
05-27-12, 09:34
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l178/tiffani33/Guns/DSC01637.jpg

I've had these guns for about 3 weeks and I only wish I had them longer. Accuracy-great. Reliability-great. Ease of maintenance--great. Ergos---great for me. I really don't have a bad thing to say about these firearms. Some people bash them due to political reasons but I'm not a politician; I'm a shooter.

Here's a video review of some shooting, chronograph tests, and a tabletop review/discussion of the guns.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcILzQIObeI

Chronograph data

Caracal F:

124gr +p HSTs--1132fps. 353 ft/lbs of energy at the muzzle.
124gr HSTs--1096fps. 331 ft/lbs of energy at the muzzle.
115gr Rangers---1102fps. 310 ft/lbs of energy at the muzzle

Caracal C:

124gr +p HSTs--1127fps. 350 ft/lbs of energy at the muzzle.
124gr HSTs--1071fps. 316 ft/lbs of energy at the muzzle.
115gr Rangers--1072fps. 304 ft/lbs of energy at the muzzle.

Omega Man
05-27-12, 10:59
Thanks for the detailed info. I just picked up the C. The trigger is sweet. Cant wait to get it to the range.

Hammer27
05-27-12, 16:09
I recently had the opportunity to fire the Caracal while I was in the UAE. I had no issues with the pistol at all, I'm forever a Sig guy but these were not bad handguns by any stretch of the imagination.
The only thing these have against them is their relative obscurity; I don't see anyone grabbing one of these over a Glock.

Political issues are plain ignorance. UAE SOF have been exceptional assets in OEF, UAE air assets ran bombing missions in Libya, etc etc. The country is more than friendly to the US

plouffedaddy
05-27-12, 18:40
Let me just say I love Glocks and if I could only have one gun it would be a G17. Now that that's out of the way...

I don't see anyone grabbing one of these over a Glock

I do; especially if they keep the price tag down at $400.

Hammer27
05-27-12, 19:44
Let me just say I love Glocks and if I could only have one it would be a G17. Now that that's out of the way...

I do; especially if they keep the price tag down at $400.

Virtues of the gun may make it a better choice than a Glock, I simply think that the fact that Glock parts, accessories, etc is a market in and of itself is enough to steer people away. Most people are going to want to be able to get parts and magazines easily and not have to play Goldilocks when getting a holster.

товарищ
05-27-12, 20:05
I like the small slide locks.

ozy
05-28-12, 11:24
handeled both the f &c models yesterday. great ergonomics, and over feel. triiger seems just right out of the box, with a short reset.
i gathered that deep pockets are involved with this project, so marketing will be the key to aftermarket parts, etc.
on and all, my first impression is very positive.

jared91
05-28-12, 11:58
I got to handle one as well, and I was very impressed with ergonomics and trigger. Didnt get a chance to fire it though.

plouffedaddy
05-29-12, 09:55
marketing will be the key to aftermarket parts, etc

I agree 100% with you on this one. The only place I know of at the moment to get parts is a guy in Italy. Hopefully that changes soon.

Magsz
05-29-12, 10:12
I cringe when i say this but i dont have time to watch the video right now.

So, having said that, any 25 yard accuracy work?

There are very few data points on these guns and one "data point" that stuck out in my mind was ED_L saying that the guns that he reviewed for his article were less accurate than a comparable G17.

Heavy Metal
05-29-12, 10:57
They way they took a big shi^ on Troy Sellars is enough to turn me off of them.

plouffedaddy
05-30-12, 08:29
any 25 yard accuracy work?

Sorry, but no. I rarely if ever shoot groups with handguns. My test of accuracy is semi-rapid firing at my 6'' plate rack at 25m. If I can run the rack relatively easily--it's accurate enough for me.

That said, both the C and F are easy guns to run the rack with. My guess is that these guns are more accurate than I am with similar accuracy to a G17/19. I don't have a ransom rest either so even if I shot groups, it'd be tough to take the human element out of it. I'm a decent shot but I'm not Todd Jarret, that's for sure!

ozy
05-30-12, 11:14
came across this--

http://www.gallowayprecision.com/caracalperformanceparts.html
AS MENTIONED MARKETING AND AFTER MARKET STUFF WILL SOLIDIFY THIS GUN'S FUTURE, OR NOT.

dustburn
05-30-12, 11:39
I have a huge interest in these pistols, I am really hoping they pick up. If Raven Concealment made a standard holster for them, I would snag the full size right now.

brickboy240
05-30-12, 11:46
A polymer striker fired 9mm that is accurate and does not bean you in the head with empties.

...how refreshing!

LOL

ozy
05-30-12, 12:19
so far, blade -tech, fobus make holsters for the caracal. a good start.......

Urban_Redneck
05-30-12, 12:52
RKBA is also making holsters, mine ought to be on it's way :cool:

It's not as accurate as my 1911, but, I'm enjoying it enough that I picked up 3 extra mags. 550 round 0 malfs, 0 BTF.

BUBBAGUNS
05-30-12, 13:08
I read an article somewhere, stating that this gun was designed by the the same guy that designed the Styer m-9.

plouffedaddy
05-30-12, 13:51
William Bulbits (not sure on the spelling) did work on this as well.

Omega Man
05-31-12, 04:40
RKBA is also making holsters, mine ought to be on it's way :cool:

It's not as accurate as my 1911, but, I'm enjoying it enough that I picked up 3 extra mags. 550 round 0 malfs, 0 BTF.

I ordered one of these holsters's as well. They look really well made.

plouffedaddy
05-31-12, 08:23
I have one of his holsters, it is very well made and I'll probably be picking up another for the Caracal.

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l178/tiffani33/Guns/IMAG1137.jpg

HackerF15E
05-31-12, 20:04
They way they took a big shi^ on Troy Sellars is enough to turn me off of them.

I'm not familiar with what happened and Google isn't showing anything obvious on this topic...what happened, or where can I read up on this?

plouffedaddy
06-01-12, 19:43
I've never heard anything about it either. Last I heard Troy Sellars was still working for them...

Heavy Metal
06-01-12, 19:54
I'm not familiar with what happened and Google isn't showing anything obvious on this topic...what happened, or where can I read up on this?

Basically got him to do the legwork with the ATF of getting it imported and thend dumping him for another importer. I get the impression they dealt in bad faith.

espnazi
06-01-12, 23:22
Basically got him to do the legwork with the ATF of getting it imported and thend dumping him for another importer. I get the impression they dealt in bad faith.

Dont know the details of the story on why he got dumped but I do believe when he was the importer the Caracal guns were priced much higher(around $600).

Omega Man
06-02-12, 23:31
I got to the range with my new Caracal C today. Put 363 rds thru it. WWB 115 gr, WWB 147 gr HP's, Fed HST 147 gr +p, HST 147 gr and HST 124 gr. It matched the Walther PPQ in accuracy and was clearly more accurate than my G17 and FNS 9 at 7 yards. Too bad i had 3 malfunctions. All with WWB ammo. 1st was a failure to eject. Things went smoothly for awhile and then i had a failure to feed, while shooting strong hand only. The last was the slide prematurely locking back with rounds still in the mag, during a string of fire with my weak hand only.

I hope the issues clear up on the next range session, as i really like this pistol in most respects. It is so easy to shoot this pistol well. Even with the issues i had, i am going to get the F size Caracal. Hopefully it will run without issue.

ozy
06-03-12, 12:36
just got back from the range with my f and c models. ~400 thru the f and ~500 thru the c. all without a hitch.
these are very smooth , soft-shooting pistols. nicley accurate out of the box, with little to no shooters- fatigue. i can see them to be very popular with our better halves, as these pistols are ergonimclly sound with a light trigger and very little recoil.
night sights are a must. the current sight are just too dark to ascertain targets clearly.
i find the caracal, suprior in every way to my former PPQ ,XDM, P-99,HKP30,KHAR, AND XD.
it's a hell of a pistol, but it needs after market sights ,holsters, parts and strong marketing ,to make the impact it deserves and that styer couldn't do.
am i ready to ditch or at least blanet -wrap my glocks? no way, at least not for now. but the caracals prove to be formidable alternatives.

plouffedaddy
06-03-12, 19:51
it's a hell of a pistol, but it needs after market sights ,holsters, parts and strong marketing ,to make the impact it deserves and that styer couldn't do.

I agree; that'll be the key right there. A few police/agency contracts would help them as well.

Omega Man
06-04-12, 03:46
just got back from the range with my f and c models. ~400 thru the f and ~500 thru the c. all without a hitch.
these are very smooth , soft-shooting pistols. nicley accurate out of the box, with little to no shooters- fatigue. i can see them to be very popular with our better halves, as these pistols are ergonimclly sound with a light trigger and very little recoil.
night sights are a must. the current sight are just too dark to ascertain targets clearly.
i find the caracal, suprior in every way to my former PPQ ,XDM, P-99,HKP30,KHAR, AND XD.
am i ready to ditch or at least blanet -wrap my glocks? no way, at least not for now. but the caracals prove to be formidable alternatives.

What kind of ammo did you use?

brickboy240
06-04-12, 17:45
The only thing that keeps me from looking closer at the Caracal (...and I do find it very interesting) is that funky rear sight.

If it had sights like the Glock or M&P...I'd probably have one in my safe right now.

- brickboy240

Omega Man
06-04-12, 17:50
The only thing that keeps me from looking closer at the Caracal (...and I do find it very interesting) is that funky rear sight.

If it had sights like the Glock or M&P...I'd probably have one in my safe right now.

- brickboy240

You may change your mind if you shoot one.

brickboy240
06-04-12, 18:04
Probably so.

I thought the Steyr MA-1 looked odd until I shot one. Then the odd shape totally made sense. Still kicking myself for not buying one when CDNN had them for 330 bucks a pop.

I have seen the Caracals in the 399 range.

Very tempting.

- brickboy240

ozy
06-05-12, 07:00
omegaman-- i used some(~200 rounds) magtech 115 fmj and for the most part 115 fmj by ga.arms.....

Arik
08-17-12, 19:03
Sorry to resurrect this tread but i have a chance to get a used Caracal F with 3 mags for $269. What do you guys think? Gun is clean. Its at a LGS and everyone passes on it due to the whole A-rab thing.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Omega Man
08-17-12, 19:38
Sorry to resurrect this tread but i have a chance to get a used Caracal F with 3 mags for $269. What do you guys think? Gun is clean. Its at a LGS and everyone passes on it due to the whole A-rab thing.

Grab it. I think you will like it.

Omega Man
08-17-12, 19:43
I had the Davidson's guarantee on my C model, so i replaced it with a new one. It has had none of the issues that the 1st one had. I also have the F size and they are both excellent firearms. Accurate, reliable, good ergo's and soft shooting. Once night sights become available and if they continue to be reliable, i will replace my Glock's with them.

plouffedaddy
08-17-12, 21:08

I'd be all over that and I already have one!

Urban_Redneck
08-18-12, 08:24

If you decide to pass let me know the shop, I was going to buy another next month.

Thx

Jah_Shwalker
08-18-12, 11:40
Thanks for the post. I was curious about these as I was looking for another concealed piece. I was set on grabbing a Glock and have someone do a grip reduction, but I'm gonna look around for one to try.

Big A
08-21-12, 12:32
I checked these out at my LGS this weekend. Cool gun, wish I knew somebody who had one so I could shoot it to try it out.

However, my LGS wanted $579 and they have Gen4 Glocks for $529 so I don't think I'll be buying one unless I find a super deal on a used one.

brickboy240
08-21-12, 13:49
I have seen these as low as 399 online at some distributors.

Man....its getting harder to NOT own one!

LOL

-brickboy240

Omega Man
08-21-12, 15:38
Centerfiresystems.com has Caracal's for $399 shipped. They also sell extra mags.

brickboy240
08-21-12, 16:22
I know...I know.

As I sit with the G19 still tossing brass at my noggin...it is VERY tempting to grab one.

I am trying to think of a reason NOT to get one.

-brickboy240

m4brian
08-21-12, 17:48
Brickboy - your Glock has been back to Georgia with no fix? Nuts.

I agree that the Caracal looks VERY good, but the weird sight setup (striker retainer), and now very expensive mags, and likely limited support make it an non-starter for me.

avengd7x
08-21-12, 18:06
I know...I know.

As I sit with the G19 still tossing brass at my noggin...it is VERY tempting to grab one.

I am trying to think of a reason NOT to get one.

-brickboy240

test the trigger first. People rave about it but it is not what I'm used to. I have two c models and both have a long take up with no break. it's not a problem with rapid shots, but when taking slow controlled shots it's different because there is no discernable trigger break.

mags are actually priced well, I think it paid around $30 a piece.

it's accurate, reliable, and feels good in the hand, but to me for the money I'd rather have an m&p9c or ppq

Arik
08-21-12, 18:37
I couldn't make it o Saturday and Monday. Today when i walked in it had already been sold

Omega Man
08-22-12, 01:14
test the trigger first. People rave about it but it is not what I'm used to. I have two c models and both have a long take up with no break. it's not a problem with rapid shots, but when taking slow controlled shots it's different because there is no discernable trigger break.

mags are actually priced well, I think it paid around $30 a piece.

it's accurate, reliable, and feels good in the hand, but to me for the money I'd rather have an m&p9c or ppq

Triggers are a very subjective thing i guess. My F and C models have a distinct break point and are much smoother than a Glock. I like the reset as well. The only striker fired trigger that feels better to me would be the PPQ. But the PPQ has a much more stout recoil and flip than the Caracal. I was surprised at how accurate the Caracal C is. I was able to get tighter groups with the C than my Glock 19. Possibly due to the Caracal's trigger.

wahoo95
08-22-12, 06:10
I'm having the toughest time selling mine, which is surprising considering all the people who want them. They are nice pistols and reliable shooters. They feel a lot like the Steyrs and the triggers are in my opinion nicer than the Glocks.

Blame any misspellings on Tapatalk

plouffedaddy
08-23-12, 08:45
The F is on sale for $350 until the end of the day at Centerfire. Just passing it along----tough to beat that deal....