PDA

View Full Version : Noveske Diplomate....Any Info.?

TacWick
05-27-12, 18:00
Havent been able to find much. Any seems like there is no discussion of it here. So does anybody have any information on the Noveske Diplomate. Or better yet, have experience with this. Or even better yet own this weapon?

TacWick
05-27-12, 18:40
Really? No one has used this. No thoughts on barrel length, pistol length gas system, stainless barrel?

restfortheweary
05-27-12, 18:50
Well since you're asking for thoughts and opinions (and not first hand experience), here goes nothing. It is made by Noveske, so I know it's quality. The question is why you would want to handicap the already marginal powered 5.56mm with such a short barrel? If you must go that short, look into the Noveske 8" 300BLK. Just one man's opinion. Stay safe.

jonconsiglio
05-27-12, 21:08
Well since you're asking for thoughts and opinions (and not first hand experience), here goes nothing. It is made by Noveske, so I know it's quality. The question is why you would want to handicap the already marginal powered 5.56mm with such a short barrel? If you must go that short, look into the Noveske 8" 300BLK. Just one man's opinion. Stay safe.

I would normally agree with you. But, the new Black Hills 50gr TSX will open at its max, reliably, out to 75 yards. Before that, the best we could hope for was a handful of yards out of TAP or a short distance from Gold Dot, for example.

The 50gr TSX is tuned for short barreled rifles, and really makes a considerable difference.

Still, I'd tick to 10.5" or a larger caliber.

cj5_dude
05-27-12, 21:13
Even with the best bullets the barrel is only 7.5 inches long and has a 1:7 twist so the bullet has barely gone one full rotation and will be much less stable than a longer barrel. Obviously you won't be using this for long range precision shooting, but what will you be using it for?

It comes with the KX3 on the end which makes it just as long as a 10.5 inch gun. The blast you will get out of the end of that gun without the KX3 will be obnoxious.

So why do you want it over a 10.5? I'd do yourself a favor and read the NFA forum and read up on barrel length issues and also do searches on pistol length gas systems. They're very rough on the gun and will beat it up pretty good from the inside out.

I'd pass and get some other NFA toy.

ST911
05-27-12, 21:21
The Diplomat meets the mission requirements of the folks it's built for. That it doesn't have the flexibility or ballistic reach of the longer barrels isn't a great concern.

Cameron
05-27-12, 22:05
I was shooting a buddy's 7.5" and 10.5" Noveskes this weekend. Both ran great without any issues. However, the blast and recoil from the 7.5" was considerably more than with the 10.5".

I like it for a range toy, but I think the 10.5" makes the most sense and has the most utility.

Cameron

TacWick
05-27-12, 22:28
Thanks for the feed back. It was more curiousness then consideration before a purchase. I have been very interested in getting a noveske. I have heard their barrels are considered some of the best.

Skintop911, can you provide more info.? Who requested the diplomate and what was its initial purpose. Obviously cqb but im curious.

Cameron, how did you like the 10.5. I have been flirting with the buy now button for noveske 10.5 with VIS rail and KX3 flash supressor

BH321
05-27-12, 23:18
It is not "Diplomate" (One who has received a diploma) it is "Diplomat". That as an aside, I have never heard good things about pistol length gas systems and can only think of a few situations where a rifle with this short a barrel would be useful; basically any situation where the concealability of a sub gun is necessary while the risk of engaging hostiles with body armor is high. I originally thought the name "Diplomat" was an attempt at irony, but the more I consider the possible uses of the rifle, the more I think that VIP security may be the most realistic use for such a system.

In any case as a civilian shooter the system doesn't really provide anything over a 10.5 or even 11.5 inch system. Also as was already stated the KX3 on the front already extends the overall length into the 10.5 range in length. As a range toy I find it interesting and can reasonably see circumstances where it might be useful, for lower profile higher risk personal security assignments or firing out the firing ports of an APC, but not much else.

ETA: In the same vein as the APC, I can see it being useful in the tight confines of most cars where having a longer weapon might be a detriment (Though might certainly be nicer to your hearing).

Brahmzy
05-27-12, 23:18
We'd all love to have 7" barrels. There's good reasons most of us don't.