PDA

View Full Version : Key holing with a HK USP 9mm (reloads). And review.

Mauser KAR98K
05-28-12, 01:59
After figuring out I was not having accuracy issues with my new H&K USP 9mm, I have discovered that the recent reloads I have punched out is creating key holes. 115gr copper plated rounds, using CCI primers, mixed brass, and using Bullseye powder at a 4.5 gr. charge. Any good loads for the USP? What I'm doing doesn't seem to be working.

Other than that, this is a great, fun pistol to shoot! There is something about the USP that makes me want to be aggressive with it.

The trigger, however, is something that I had to get used to. The single action is very spongy, and I feel it can't let you skimp on trigger control and fundamentals. The double action, however, and its long pull, is much to be desired.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8010/7284156526_fbea30e400_b.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7213/7284165012_550d9c899a_b.jpg

the key holing is evident in this pic. But, this target was primarily used for triple trap drill from the holster and getting off the X. I was getting down to a second and a half with this, and doing so on a fairly new pistol.

BTW: the "stippled" checkered back is imprinted in my hand for a few days.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7099/7284161342_e2bdaf9220_b.jpg

Slow fire at 5 yards, 8 round string. Not bad, even with the key holing issue.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7225/7284184804_7928ffaf4f_b.jpg

Double tap, slow fire pattern at the same distant. Took me awhile to understand the trigger.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7227/7284174284_2a1be3bbff_b.jpg

Warm up target. Slow fire; rapid fire; close contact out to 7 yards.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7077/7284204216_aff2178f27_b.jpg

Overall, I like it. It is a great pistol to enjoy shooting 9mm with (.45 guy here), and like I noted before, there is something about it that makes me want to be aggressive with it, even over my M&P .45. I just would like to know what loads the USP likes to shoot.

Also, can I use lead, non-copper plated bullets with the barrel? The USP barrel looks a like the GLOCK barrel and I want to make sure I'm not feeding it something that might ruin it.

Urban_Redneck
05-28-12, 04:22
Jacketed bullets only in polygonal bored barrels. You'll need to soak/scrub the bore clean as the leading is likely to be extensive.

05-28-12, 08:16
Yes, best to use jacketed or plated. Jacketed are better as you can drive them to high velocity if you wish. Plated should be loaded to lead bullet velocities for best results. I recently had some plated bullets that were terribly inaccurate and tumbled out of my Beretta and CZ. My HK P-30 did better but not great. I use jacketed now because sometimes, accuracy is important....

ralph
05-28-12, 08:51
Actually, you can use lead in a HK, but not in a Glock..While both have polygonal rifling, they are diffrerent. In a Glock barrel, the rifling starts at the end of the chamber, which has a shoulder in which the cartridge itself rests against when chambered, Upon firing, the bullet scrapes across the edge of this shoulder, and transitions into the rifling and down the barrel. Now, look in to a HK barrel..at the start of the rifling,it's beveled, the same shoulder is still there for the cartridge to stop against, but the start of the rifling is beveled, there is nothing for the bullet to scrape across when transitioning into the rifling, unlike a glock, which if shot enough with cast lead,will build up lead in front of the chamber and can KB..A Hk can't because of it's compleatly different design. Most people associate Glock polygonal rifling limitations with ALL polygonal rifling..it simply isn't true. I myself have shot a few thousand cast lead bullets through my P-2000 with no problems, But nowadays, I usually shoot plated, as the cost difference between the two is so small it's not worth shooting cast lead, (at least in a 9mm, .45acp is a different story) and clean up is easier. Anyway, bottom line is you can shoot cast lead in a HK, if you want to, Frankly, If the prices of plated stays like they are I'll probably stick with that. As far as your bullets tumbling, I'd guess that, they're not getting stabilized in the barrel and possibly the powder you're using just dosen't work for this bullet, I'd try using a different powder, and as was mentioned above use cast lead data for plated bullets,and you should be fine. I'm using a 124gr plated bullet (X-treme plated) with 4.8gr Win. Auto-Comp, OAL 1.130 excellant accuracy out of my PPQ, Glock 19, and P-2000..Check over at Brian Enos forums they have forums devoted to different calibers with lots of data, go over there and ask around you'll probably find alot of data just by reading..

Mauser KAR98K
05-28-12, 09:46
Yes, best to use jacketed or plated. Jacketed are better as you can drive them to high velocity if you wish. Plated should be loaded to lead bullet velocities for best results. I recently had some plated bullets that were terribly inaccurate and tumbled out of my Beretta and CZ. My HK P-30 did better but not great. I use jacketed now because sometimes, accuracy is important....

Actually, you can use lead in a HK, but not in a Glock..While both have polygonal rifling, they are diffrerent. In a Glock barrel, the rifling starts at the end of the chamber, which has a shoulder in which the cartridge itself rests against when chambered, Upon firing, the bullet scrapes across the edge of this shoulder, and transitions into the rifling and down the barrel. Now, look in to a HK barrel..at the start of the rifling,it's beveled, the same shoulder is still there for the cartridge to stop against, but the start of the rifling is beveled, there is nothing for the bullet to scrape across when transitioning into the rifling, unlike a glock, which if shot enough with cast lead,will build up lead in front of the chamber and can KB..A Hk can't because of it's compleatly different design. Most people associate Glock polygonal rifling limitations with ALL polygonal rifling..it simply isn't true. I myself have shot a few thousand cast lead bullets through my P-2000 with no problems, But nowadays, I usually shoot plated, as the cost difference between the two is so small it's not worth shooting cast lead, (at least in a 9mm, .45acp is a different story) and clean up is easier. Anyway, bottom line is you can shoot cast lead in a HK, if you want to, Frankly, If the prices of plated stays like they are I'll probably stick with that. As far as your bullets tumbling, I'd guess that, they're not getting stabilized in the barrel and possibly the powder you're using just dosen't work for this bullet, I'd try using a different powder, and as was mentioned above use cast lead data for plated bullets,and you should be fine. I'm using a 124gr plated bullet (X-treme plated) with 4.8gr Win. Auto-Comp, OAL 1.130 excellant accuracy out of my PPQ, Glock 19, and P-2000..Check over at Brian Enos forums they have forums devoted to different calibers with lots of data, go over there and ask around you'll probably find alot of data just by reading..

First off, thanks everyone.

What is the difference between a plated round and a jacket round? I have been getting platted bullets from Rocky Mountain reloading and have had great results with the .45ACP running Bullseye at 5.4 grs. At 5-15 yards, it is stupid accurate.

Unfortunately, my Sierra reload data book does not have entries for 9mm cast lead rounds, and it does not have any data for running Bullseye with cast lead rounds.

I have recently purchased some new solvent (way better than CLP) that is cleaning out old fouling from my other pistol barrels, so running lead is back to being an option. I'm just still apprehensive abouting running cast lead through the H&K.

Do the USP like heavier grain bullets by chance?

ralph
05-28-12, 11:19
Check over at www. Hodgdon.com they have(had) load data you download and copy for most calibers, It's pretty good data, lots of powders used, (not just Hodgdon products) as well as a wide variety of bullets, cast, jacketed, JHP, etc, For your USP, I'd expermint a little, I'd try some heavier bullets 124gr, 147gr, I'm thinking those would probably be more accurate than the 115gr. I should also mention that in all of this data, the powder you use, Bullseye, isn't used once..call that a clue.. :D

The difference between a jacketed bullet and a plated bullet is that the plated bullet is just that, it's a lead bullet that has been plated with copper. Usually, the plating isn't as thick as a jacketed bullet's copper jacket, and thus, you have to slow'em down a little when shooting.(between 1000-1100fps) Not all plated bullets are the same. the ones I use (X-treme) have a thicker coating, so,they seem to hold up better leaving little residue behind in the barrel. Still as a rule of thumb, use cast lead data when using plated bullets and you won't have a problem, and as usual, start low, and work your way up.

Robb Jensen
05-28-12, 11:26
When I used to shoot ZERO brand plated 147gr JHP bullets out of my old Glock 34 it would keyhole. They didn't out of P225 and CZ85. So I replaced the barrel with a drop in KKM and it fixed it.

05-28-12, 12:07
Check over at www. Hodgdon.com they have(had) load data you download and copy for most calibers, It's pretty good data, lots of powders used, (not just Hodgdon products) as well as a wide variety of bullets, cast, jacketed, JHP, etc, For your USP, I'd expermint a little, I'd try some heavier bullets 124gr, 147gr, I'm thinking those would probably be more accurate than the 115gr. I should also mention that in all of this data, the powder you use, Bullseye, isn't used once..call that a clue.. :D

The difference between a jacketed bullet and a plated bullet is that the plated bullet is just that, it's a lead bullet that has been plated with copper. Usually, the plating isn't as thick as a jacketed bullet's copper jacket, and thus, you have to slow'em down a little when shooting.(between 1000-1100fps) Not all plated bullets are the same. the ones I use (X-treme) have a thicker coating, so,they seem to hold up better leaving little residue behind in the barrel. Still as a rule of thumb, use cast lead data when using plated bullets and you won't have a problem, and as usual, start low, and work your way up.

What he said. The plating isn't as thick as a true jacket and it will de-plate itself if you run it to fast or even over crimp. Do go to the Brian Enos forum for some good reloading info. Many service pistols like 124/125gr bullets as they are designed for NATO use and that is the standard NATO bullet weight. A quality jacketed 124/125 bullet loaded with medium speed powder can yield very good accuracy.

mizer67
05-28-12, 12:50
When I used to shoot ZERO brand plated 147gr JHP bullets out of my old Glock 34 it would keyhole. They didn't out of P225 and CZ85. So I replaced the barrel with a drop in KKM and it fixed it.

Zero's 147 JHP are jacketed.