PDA

View Full Version : .22lr AR build gone FULL RETARD

Evil Colt 6920
05-28-12, 02:57
I picked up a stripped lower a few weeks ago for a midlength build Im planning. Not having the funds approved to finish it I built this "abomination" mostly with parts I had on hand. Its as much fun as it is impractical. The possums and coons around here would disagree.
http://i497.photobucket.com/albums/rr339/shotgunspree/DSC01165.jpg
The upper is a Spikes ST-22. Swapped the 16" for a 5.5" barrel.
DD Omega 7.0
Cheap red dot
Spikes lower with Spikes lower parts kit and QD plug
MOE grip
When I put this "thing" together my first thought was "why the f@#k did I do that:confused: Turns out its a lot more accurate and easy to shoot than I expected. Lots of fun in a little package. Weighs 3lbs 15 ounces empty. When I get my midlength upper built, this .22lr upper is getting its 16" barrel back. But untill then, im having fun with it:D

shadow65
05-28-12, 10:52
I like it!

msigette
05-29-12, 06:41
It looks like a fun plinker and everyone needs one of those. Even if its only for a little bit, while you wait for parts.

crh428
05-29-12, 07:24
Looks like fun... If it's fun, and you enjoy it, who cares!

circuit
06-02-12, 19:17
hahaha that's awesome, love it.

BCmJUnKie
06-02-12, 20:26
Get some Kydex

Build holster

EDC

:lol:

Evil Colt 6920
06-03-12, 10:33
Get some Kydex

Build holster

EDC

Now that would be taking FULL RETARD to the next level! :p

Traveshamockery
06-03-12, 13:03
Get some Kydex

Build holster

EDC

Don't be silly. He should just sling it inside a jacket! :lol:

lowepg
06-03-12, 14:04
You're just getting started!

Next is submit your form1 and SBR that puppy! ;-)

I have a mp15-22 pistol (no longer sold) that i was thinking of sbr-ing and suppressing...

I have a form1 pending on a gsg-5pk already, so that's the next project...
Then right behind that is a 9mm AR pistol...

Sigh.... Damn NFA...

IYAAYASwarrior
06-03-12, 18:30
Hell yeah!!! I want to shoot that little monster!!!

Evil Colt 6920
06-03-12, 20:36
Hell yeah!!! I want to shoot that little monster!!!

You will get your chance on Tuesday:) Ive made some changes, mainly to the bolt. Also got 5 mags now and 3,200 rounds of CCI mini mags:D

Army Chief
06-03-12, 21:03
Let's try not to devote too much additional bandwidth to this project, gents. It's fine as is, but where the whole tool-versus-toy question is concerned, the near-complete absence of commentary from our core membership -- despite 800 views in the space of a single page -- is what some would call a clue.

AC

bombim
06-04-12, 01:08
Give it full-auto capability, add a sling and you get a ummm,
a hmmmm, a PDW! Yes, a PDW better than the P90.

evosil98
06-04-12, 01:21
That looks like fun

Army Chief
06-04-12, 05:53
Give it full-auto capability ...

Which is illegal, notwithstanding the FA rollmarked receiver.

... add a sling ...

To a pistol? Is this so you can wear it like a purse or something?

... and you get .... a PDW better than the P90.

Actually, you get an underpowered rimfire plaything, which is pretty much what we're looking at already. I fail to see how an AR-based .22LR pistol offers anything approaching the practicality or capability that a dedicated PDW platform like the P90 delivers.

Not sure if this this thread is a deliberate spoof or what, but as alluded to earlier, this really isn't the site for it.

AC

bombim
06-04-12, 09:24

Couldn't it be covered by the NFA rules?

To make it a .22LR machine pistol!

Actually, you get an underpowered rimfire plaything, which is pretty much what we're looking at already. I fail to see how an AR-based .22LR pistol offers anything approaching the practicality or capability that a dedicated PDW platform like the P90 delivers.

You need to use both as firehoses to have any effect.
The 22LR would be a cheaper firehose.

Iraqgunz
06-04-12, 13:06
Well why don't you explain to us what those rules are, since you don't seem to have a clue.

Couldn't it be covered by the NFA rules?

To make it a .22LR machine pistol!

You need to use both as firehoses to have any effect.
The 22LR would be a cheaper firehose.

mike240
06-04-12, 18:35
Isn't it already illegal? If bought as a rifle stripped lower as opposed to pistol lower, isn't this an improperly made sbr?

Dionysusigma
06-04-12, 18:41
A stripped lower is a stripped lower. It's not a rifle until it has a stock attached. FFLs don't sell stripped lowers to non-residents because if the purchaser decided to make it into a pistol, that would constitute an unlawful sale. At least, in my experience.

Delta One
06-04-12, 19:35
The title brought me here :sarcastic:

That's pretty sweet dude! Looks like a blast to have fun with

KevinB
06-04-12, 21:15
A stripped lower is a stripped lower. It's not a rifle until it has a stock attached. FFLs don't sell stripped lowers to non-residents because if the purchaser decided to make it into a pistol, that would constitute an unlawful sale. At least, in my experience.

Correct.

Make one in .22Mag and you'll outstrip P90 performance :secret:

kmrtnsn
06-04-12, 22:12
Give it full-auto capability, add a sling and you get a ummm,
a hmmmm, a PDW! Yes, a PDW better than the P90.

Read more; post less.

bombim
06-04-12, 23:53
Well why don't you explain to us what those rules are, since you don't seem to have a clue.

How do you expect me to explain what the rules are when I don't have a clue?
You are correct that I don't have a clue about US laws on SBR/NFA.
I was under the impression that as long as you fill up the correct forms and get
approval, you would be able to build such a firearm.

bombim
06-05-12, 00:07
Not sure if this this thread is a deliberate spoof or what, but as alluded to earlier, this really isn't the site for it.

AC

I took it as a spoof and was just trying to push the envelope of a full
retard build. Sorry I wasn't so funny.

Iraqgunz
06-05-12, 00:08
Wrong. The only people who can build machine guns are people with certain licenses or people we will call SOT's.

We have different classifications of machine guns in the U.S- hence why a full auto M16 will cost you over 13,000 USD.

There are fully transferable guns (pre May 1986 registered), post May 1986 dealer samples, pre 86 samples, etc..... The only thing that can be readily bought and sold on a Form 4 to any person is a full transferable machine gun.

The only thing that anyone can build and register right now to the best of my knowledge are SBR's, SBS's, and suppressors.

The reason I directed my comment towards you is because you made it sound as if one can simply "build a machine gun" and we generally try to educate our members and prevent bad information from being passed.

How do you expect me to explain what the rules are when I don't have a clue?
You are correct that I don't have a clue about US laws on SBR/NFA.
I was under the impression that as long as you fill up the correct forms and get
approval, you would be able to build such a firearm.

bombim
06-05-12, 01:16
Wrong. The only people who can build machine guns are people with certain licenses or people we will call SOT's.

We have different classifications of machine guns in the U.S- hence why a full auto M16 will cost you over 13,000 USD.

There are fully transferable guns (pre May 1986 registered), post May 1986 dealer samples, pre 86 samples, etc..... The only thing that can be readily bought and sold on a Form 4 to any person is a full transferable machine gun.

The only thing that anyone can build and register right now to the best of my knowledge are SBR's, SBS's, and suppressors.

The reason I directed my comment towards you is because you made it sound as if one can simply "build a machine gun" and we generally try to educate our members and prevent bad information from being passed.

Got it. Thanks for the education.

Army Chief
06-05-12, 09:21
I was under the impression that as long as you fill up the correct forms and get approval, you would be able to build such a firearm.

That was correct up until the 19th of May, 1986 -- and has not been the case since passage of the FOPA/McClure-Volkmer Act.

Still not sure what actual purpose a rimfire MG would serve, much less in a pistol form factor, but I digress ...

AC

1911-A1
06-17-12, 08:53
Got it. Thanks for the education.

We tend to take the NFA very seriously because it's so easy to run astray of it, but it's very important that we keep in mind that it's an arbitrary set of regulations, fraught with silly pitfalls that in reality shouldn't even be violations at all.

The fact that there are so many misconceptions and misinterpretations about NFA laws is an indicator that it's poorly written and if you look at it objectively, you realize it does nothing from a crime-prevention standpoint.

Alaskapopo
06-21-12, 01:36

AC

Your right it would be a toy but the P90 really is too. No way I would use one for serious work.
Pat

DeltaSierra
06-21-12, 02:09
Correct.

And now we are right back where we started a few months ago in trying to determine if a complete lower receiver (with stock assembly) is considered a "rifle," or an "other..."

fail wagon
08-02-12, 01:23
that little thing is awesome

uwe1
08-04-12, 01:08
Get some Kydex

Build holster

EDC

Forget the holster, Mexican carry all the way.

jesuvuah
08-29-12, 06:27
While it does not look practical, It does look cool.

OK, I admit it, I want to shoot it.:D

CodeRed30
08-29-12, 10:26
I'm in the process of building something very similar right now. Looks sweet! I'll post pics of mine when it's done.

glocktogo
08-29-12, 11:42
That's not a .22 build gone full retard. THIS, is a .22 build gone full retard! :D

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s157/Glocktogo/DSC_1039.jpg

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s157/Glocktogo/DSC_1041.jpg

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s157/Glocktogo/DSC_1006.jpg