PDA

View Full Version : New Member--New COLT

skipper49
01-13-08, 15:03
I've been hanging around here for a couple of months, just listening and learning. I've owned two Bushmasters for several years and have been very happy with them. However, I don't run them as hard as many of you fellows do.
One night recently, after reading yet another post about Bushmaster problems, I told my wife that I was going the next day and donate both of mine to Good Will !:)
I have been wanting an A2, 20", w/FH, but also would like to have a 1/7 bbl.
I had fully intended on just getting a 1/9 Bushy in that configuration, that is ,until I ran into you guys.
I'm glad I waited! Yesterday I bought a Colt model 6601, 20', A2, w/FH. The serial number puts it around 1992, and it is unfired in it's original box.
What do you guys think about this particular model? Do I need to do anything to make it "grab ready"?
Pardon me if I got too wordy, but even though I'm an old codger, I can still get excited over a new gun. Hope that never changes.
What think ye about my rifle?
Regards,
Skip

Jay Cunningham
01-13-08, 15:21
Welcome to M4C.

Your Colt model 6601 is no doubt a fine rifle, but most here would probably classify it as a match rifle. Not that it couldn't be pressed into service for a fight, but the 20" guns are a bit unweildy compared to the 16" models.

When you say "grab ready", what do you mean? I am assuming you mean bump-in-the-night type thing... Are you willing to accessorize your rifle, or do you prefer to keep it as close to stock as possible?

markm
01-13-08, 16:05
Can't go wrong with a 20 incher. It has it's limitations due to size, but I wouldn't be without a 20 incher in my collection.

skipper49
01-13-08, 18:31
"Grab ready" Yes, to me that means "bump in the night".
I already had a carbine(that I like a lot) and it is certainly is a good bit handier. I just wanted a full size rifle in my favorite platform(AR), although I have a 24" Bushmaster.
I guess everything is relative. The 20" seems pretty sleek to me as I spend a good bit of time handling my M1 Garands.
As to accessories, I'd like to stay with the "kiss" principle and just leave her a plain A2. My question for the most part was concerning the quality of the innards. Were the bolts and carriers,etc. on these rifles the equal of the newer guns? MP tested, shot peened,etc.
Guess I spend too much time worrying and not enough shooting. I've got a feeling she'll be just fine like she is.
Thanks,
Skip

TheGhostRider
01-13-08, 19:01
Welcome to M4C!!!

I'm going to make a confession right here, right now.

My favorite go-to gun is a 20" rifle......:(
Yes, yes.... I know....... it's a cross I must bare. But you know, the old M193 ball just has a nice wack to it out of a 20".

Now for the breakdown.... this is going to ruffle some of the purists feathers but hey.............. It is what it is.

DPMS 4 digit serial numbered lower. I've had it for awhile.:D
Colt M16A2 upper assemby.
When I bought the upper assembly it was in a tan hermetically sealed bag with the NSN numbers on it and the paper wick was in the barrel. Inside the bag with the upper was 2 more bags, one with a charging handle and one with the bolt assembly. It has the original Colt M16 bolt carrier assembly with the early gray charging handle which matches the gray upper nicely..... Not that I'm a snob but proper fashion must include color matching.

So when you talk about having a 20 incher............ Say it with pride!!!:D

markm
01-14-08, 07:45
So when you talk about having a 20 incher............ Say it with pride!!!:D

Yes. Now that the old man is gone, the 20 incher can be discussed rationally.

But going back to the guy's statement that it's a bump in the night weapon.... a light of some kind is mandatory. Otherwise you'll end up like that thread in the general discussion forum where the guy shot his own wife in the kitchen when he mistook her for an intruder.

TheGhostRider
01-14-08, 17:02
Yes. Now that the old man is gone, the 20 incher can be discussed rationally.

But going back to the guy's statement that it's a bump in the night weapon.... a light of some kind is mandatory. Otherwise you'll end up like that thread in the general discussion forum where the guy shot his own wife in the kitchen when he mistook her for an intruder.

Yep! I agree about the light! KNOW YOUR TARGET! I know I'm preachin to the choir but when it comes to bumps in the night "tis better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it".
Duct tape and a mag- light is better than nothing... fortunately with todays options in regard to light mounting "duck tape" has been relegated to "2nd place" as a light mounting option.:D

skipper49
01-15-08, 11:38
Don't laugh, but I DID the duct tape and Ray-o-Vac thing almost 40 years ago. (I asked you not to laugh)
I guess that the bottom line, without all of my extraneous chatter, is just wanting to know if my 6601 is the equal in component and build quality to the newer Colt models that you fellows are so fond of.
I understood the CQ limitations of the full size rifle, just wondered about the quality.

Thanks for all the information that so many "Pros" here are so willing to share freely.

Skip

jar420
01-15-08, 17:45
Don't laugh, but I DID the duct tape and Ray-o-Vac thing almost 40 years ago. (I asked you not to laugh)
I guess that the bottom line, without all of my extraneous chatter, is just wanting to know if my 6601 is the equal in component and build quality to the newer Colt models that you fellows are so fond of.
I understood the CQ limitations of the full size rifle, just wondered about the quality.

Thanks for all the information that so many "Pros" here are so willing to share freely.

Skip

I've owned Colt's from around the era yours was built. I had nothing but the best of luck with them. I consider them to be as well put together as the current models. The only thing I like better about the current LE Carbines is the M-16 bolt carriers. However, this is not a necessity. I think it would be cool to find a rifle like yours new in box.

You found a great one. I bet it even has that nice gray finish.....

skipper49
01-15-08, 19:14
Yeah, it sure does. I didn't realize just how black my Bushys are till I put this new Colt beside them. Thanks for the input.

Skip

AR-15A3
01-16-08, 17:43
Congrats, you have a very nice Colt rifle, nice new in box find.

I've been a very long time Colt user since 1971, started with my very first AR-15 SP1 sporter and had five other pre ban different Colt models.

I have currently two a 6721 A3 Tactical Carbine and a MT6601 Match Target HBAR lower with Colt M16A2 upper half.

The two closest Colt models I've had to yours was the older than yours model HBAR which was the R6600 AR-15A2 HBAR Sporter, mine had a bayonet lug, A1 type lower receiver without mag fence around the mag release and no sear block.

The other one was the government (same profile as M16A2) lighter barrel profile than yours which I got in '91, no bayonet lug, it had mag fence around the mag release and no sear block model R6551 Sporter Target.

I used my HBAR mainly in the mid '80s DCM/ CMP rifle matches and I did well with just a stock out of the box rifle.

For self defence weapon I prefer to use carbines like my 16" 6721 because it's easier to swing and move around with also I'm not going to shoot more than 100 yards with it, the most common self defense range is about 50 yards or less.

No problems what so ever with all my previous and current Colt rifles and carbines, if there's going to be another SHTF like I went though back in the '92 L.A. riots when I was living there at the time, I would grab my Colt carbine first like I did back then.