PDA

View Full Version : FAL PARA, AUG, or AR15 for Trunk/Car Gun?

Kchen986
05-28-12, 15:49
I like coming to M4C for solid advice.

I'm trying to put together a long gun to keep in the car. I've put together a good vehicle first-aid/survival kit, and I'd like a long gun in there for the 1/1000 scenario where a CCW pistol isn't enough. I'd like to conceal this firearm in my passenger compartment, underneath several innocuous looking items, and in a plain looking case.

I have 3 firearms that are suitable for the job:

1.) 18" Para FAL. This is what I'm leaning towards, as the folding stock makes the gun easier to wield if I ever have to shoot from the driver's seat. 150gr-180gr 7.62x51 rounds make for good penetration through barriers. Going to put an Aimpoint Comp M4 on it to aid in shooting with the stock folded. I'll most likely use 150gr Remington Core-Lokts with this gun.

2.) 16" AUG. I was also considering this option, as the 16" AUG is supremely compact, and the end of the barrel extends just mere inches from the support hand.

3.) 16" AR15. No doubt, being that this name forum is "M4Carbine.Net" the majority of feedback will support this option. The primary advantage with this platform is I'm familiar with the weapon, having trained a decent amount on it. Drawback is the size, and, as with the AUG, the smaller Caliber.

Also considered a 590A1 and a 930SPX, but both were too long.

As I recall, we had an excellent discussion regarding a long gun for the car, but it was centered around shotguns: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=91579&highlight=trunk

Thoughts on either of these 3 rifles? If you do endorse one rifle over another, please state the reason why.

jwfuhrman
05-28-12, 16:20
Since I only leave the state of Indiana maybe 4 or 5 times a year, and I don't drive my Jeep when I leave the state, my "Truck" gun that I keep in my Jeep is a KISS 10.5in SBR. Its got a 10.5in PSA upper with carry handle. MOE Stock/Grip/Forearm, and a BCM BCG. I keep 3 20rd mags in my Jeep loaded with M855, but I'm debating on switching it over to a 10.5in 300 BLKOUT upper in the same configuration.

This setup is small, compact, and combined with my M&P 45 middy w/ 230gr HST's gives me a pretty good setup.

Slopes
05-28-12, 16:55
I'm certainly biased, but I would get a folding stock AK in 7.62x39. The system was meant to be abused, not cared for etc. which makes it the epitome of "truck gun" in my opinion. Out of the three, I would choose an AR though, as it is the most versatile of the three listed.

CumbiaDude
05-28-12, 17:03
FAL is good, but do you really need .308? What exactly are you shooting through? What is there that'd block a proper 5.56 round but a .308 would go through it? Is it worth 20rd magazine instead of 30?

Aug, do you mean an Aug or do you really mean an MSAR?

AR is good, and especially so if you're familiar with it. Shot placement is always #1 :D

I would support the AK, too. 16" barrel, folding stock, good penetration.

I think AR or AK would probably be best. FAL seems unnecessarily large with more cons than pros. *shrug*

96 SS
05-28-12, 18:22
AK in pick your flavor/caliber but make sure its a side folder.

You can get 16" side folders down to a little over 25-26" OAL with the push of a button.

Redmanfms
05-28-12, 18:32
No offense intended, but I think you are over thinking this. If your CCW isn't enough and you've made it to your vehicle with your keys (as you'd need them for passenger compartment access anyway), why aren't you getting into the vehicle and exfiling instead of trying to access a heavier weapon to re-engage?

From the choices, AR. I'd take the AR over the AUG because it's either A. a real Austrian AUG, in which case it'll hurt if it's stolen, or B. it's an MSAR in which case you'll be lucky if it goes bang. If you think you need the 7.62mm for barrier penetration and so on, reference above and read it repeatedly.

SteyrAUG
05-28-12, 22:32
I'd go with the one I'd be most willing to have stolen out of my car.

Turnkey11
05-28-12, 22:44

In that case, Hi Point Carbine.

shootist~
05-28-12, 22:47
A FAL /w Aimpoint is my choice - as as a backup to a much more easily accessible pistol. This would not be a good plan if your vehicle is left out at night.

nabO
05-29-12, 01:37
Never thought I would say this but:

"You might have too many guns when":

You even consider using an actual AUG for a trunk gun.

Moose-Knuckle
05-29-12, 17:38
I'm certainly biased, but I would get a folding stock AK in 7.62x39. The system was meant to be abused, not cared for etc. which makes it the epitome of "truck gun" in my opinion.

This. I currently keep an SAR-1 w/ wire side folder as a "trunk gun".

Out of the three, I would choose an AR though, as it is the most versatile of the three listed.

And it's the most economically viable to replace incase of theft and or damage from an automobile accident.

jwperry
05-29-12, 19:14
AK in pick your flavor/caliber but make sure its a side folder.

You can get 16" side folders down to a little over 25-26" OAL with the push of a button.

I'm certainly biased, but I would get a folding stock AK in 7.62x39.

This. I currently keep an SAR-1 w/ wire side folder as a "trunk gun".

I'm going to 4th this and say look for an AK. I currently have a side folding 5.56 AK in my trunk for insurance against the extreme cases of high speed stupid that seem to be happening around me lately.

I also think my Corolla would make a better bullet magnet while trying to flee severe cases of high speed stupid, so I'll suffice to use it for concealment while I try to deter aggressive actions with my long arm. I really, really hope that never happens.

jwfuhrman
05-29-12, 22:12
I'm going to 4th this and say look for an AK. I currently have a side folding 5.56 AK in my trunk for insurance against the extreme cases of high speed stupid that seem to be happening around me lately.

I also think my Corolla would make a better bullet magnet while trying to flee severe cases of high speed stupid, so I'll suffice to use it for concealment while I try to deter aggressive actions with my long arm. I really, really hope that never happens.

yea, since evidently the Zombie outbreak is starting in your state lol

Dirk Williams
05-29-12, 23:33
Mak 90 with an ace folder, 10- 30 rounders in a chest pack. Been under the back seat of my last two trucks for around 10/15 years. It's got chunks of shit on it, I even think I found a year or two old french fry on it last time I had it out.

Looks like shit, works first time, every time. Cheap, effective and a real force multiplier in a pinch. No fancy sights just a good old fashion "go to gun" if needed.

DW

Iraqgunz
05-30-12, 00:43
Keeping a weapon at all times in your vehicle is stupid and irresponisible. Just my opinion. There is no need for it. Put it in when you need it, and pull it out at the end of the day.

Otherwise you are setting yourself up for possible theft and misuse.

bondmid003
05-30-12, 09:43

This exactly

Dirk Williams
05-30-12, 10:42
I/G, Why in your oppinion is keeping a gun in your rig stupid. It's a tool, like the axe, shovel and saw in my locked tool box in the bed of the truc. Like the jack and the spare tire.

My truck is box stock, if someone were to looking into the interior kothing of value is present except the 6 speed gear shift, the cloth seats and may be the child seat for my grandson in the back seat.

It's not even alarmed.

DW

NCPatrolAR
05-30-12, 11:04
I'm not a fan of leaving firearms in vehicles due to the potential theft aspect. If someone discovers it, you're out a firearm and the gun is now floating around on the street

AZ-Renegade
05-30-12, 11:28
Axes, shovels and saws usually don't cost hundreds of dollars, nor are they hot items for street criminals. Not to mention that in certain parts of the country, stock trucks get stolen all the time.

I carpool 95 miles one way to work each day, the majority of it through open desert. When I drive, my rifle goes into the trunk when I leave the house, and into the house when I get home. I feel confident in leaving it in the trunk at work since the parking lot is fairly secure.

When running errands in Phoenix, I leave my rifle at home and carry a sidearm.

You might be safe cruising around in a rural environment with a rifle in your vehicle, but in an urban setting, it's not very wise.

MontePR
05-30-12, 11:28
Keeping a weapon at all times in your vehicle is stupid and irresponisible. Just my opinion. There is no need for it. Put it in when you need it, and pull it out at the end of the day.

Otherwise you are setting yourself up for possible theft and misuse.

#1 to this as well

Dirk Williams
05-30-12, 12:14
I don't feel like packing my gear in and out of the house daily. Sooner or later you will say screw it, or forget to do it.

In fact I think by exposing your gear daily to whom ever is trolling the hood makes your gear that much more likely to go away.

I live in the woods other then the city I live in there is not much out here.

Ive wayed all those factors and feel it's in my best interest to continue on with the practice ive established many many years ago.

It's not like Im sporting an EZ rider rifle rack with the gun in the back window, or some silly little bumper stickers saying Im a gunfighter or tin soldier packing heat and looking for trouble.

Have a great day.
DW

SteyrAUG
05-30-12, 12:39
I don't feel like packing my gear in and out of the house daily. Sooner or later you will say screw it, or forget to do it.

In fact I think by exposing your gear daily to whom ever is trolling the hood makes your gear that much more likely to go away.

I live in the woods other then the city I live in there is not much out here.

Ive wayed all those factors and feel it's in my best interest to continue on with the practice ive established many many years ago.

It's not like Im sporting an EZ rider rifle rack with the gun in the back window, or some silly little bumper stickers saying Im a gunfighter or tin soldier packing heat and looking for trouble.

Have a great day.
DW

Your call.

I know a couple guys personally who have lost even handguns that they considered well concealed in the vehicle. It just takes the one time.

These days even police cars aren't safe and we get several stories a year about how somebody hit one for an AR15 or MP5.

They might not be going after the gun at all, they might be raising your tool box at a mall parking lot and the gun becomes a bonus gift. We're only telling you because we've seen it first hand.

Now I really wish that weren't the case. I can distinctly remember growing up when you could have a gun rack in your pickup and not even worry about it. My friends older brother kept a couple nice Winchesters in his rack and nobody ever screwed with them.

We could go to a movie theater on friday night and when we came out two hours later that truck would still be in the parking lot, the guns still in the rack. But that was a different time and a different place. You couldn't do that today long enough to go pay for the gas you just put in your truck.

It really sucks, but that is the way it is.

AZ-Renegade
05-30-12, 12:40
My father had a habit of carrying all sorts of gear in his personal vehicle for "just in case" situations. You name it, firearms, camping gear, binoculars, foul weather gear, if he thought he might need it, he had it. He also lives in a rural area. I always thought it was a good idea to be that prepared....

A few years back my dad takes a road trip in his pickup truck, hauling his live-in trailer. On the way, he parks at a gas station at a major junction in the mojave desert. Not a town, just a little berg with a few fast food joints and a gas station in the middle of nowhere. He spent the night in his trailer. The next morning he woke up to find that his truck had been broken into and everything of value had been stolen. [In his defense, his hearing is not very good].

I learned through that incident that having everything you need in a mobile conveyeance ALL THE TIME is not the smartest thing to do.

I also learned not to spend the night in gas station parking lots. :D

KTR03
05-30-12, 12:42
So... moving us back to the question, and not whether you should or shouldn't. I live in the north west and we had a time a couple of years ago where we were out of power for over a week. Folks in gas lines and food lines start to get cranky. I put a long gun in the car.

I own all three, and all three would work. I think the FAL is probably too much for a trunk gun. Great penetration, great power, but expensive and expensive to train with. I love my Steyr Aug a3 and it would make a good car gun, but frankly between lights, optics, and the gun, its worth 3 grand. I'm not leaving 3 grand in my car. I opted fo an AK with a folding stock. I have about 500 bucks in it. Its reliable, accurate enough for all but the most edge scenario, and the round is great against automotive barriers. It also tolerates lack of maintenance.

I'll leave the should you/shouldn't you debate alone. But for me, if I was going to be leaving it in the car, I'd make it an AK.

duece71
05-30-12, 13:18
If whatever rifle you choose gets stolen out of your car, then what? That firearm could be used in a crime and now you got some 'splain'in to do. My opinion, CCW and carry the pistol, it just seems like the rifle option is too much trouble for what its presence might be worth. Just my opinion.

DeltaSierra
05-30-12, 15:54
My opinion, CCW and carry the pistol, it just seems like the rifle option is too much trouble for what its presence might be worth.

unless i can keep the rifle on my person, i am leery of leaving it even in a locked vehicle.

honestly, i would either carry a carbine in a backpack (like the pack noveske had for a while) that would go everywhere with me, or i'd just content myself with a handgun...

Dirk Williams
05-30-12, 17:00
Woulda, Shoulda, Coulda. To carry a rifle in your rig is a personal choice. Im not in the habit of letting shit heads/criminals dictate how I live or determine what I carry.

AUG your right. My patrol truck got jacked right here in my driveway 4 years ago. They left a full auto G-36 and 10 mags, but took a set of PVS 21 Night Vision which were on loan to me from some old friends.

Being I was a deputy in Calif and retired here in Oregon I called 911. They sent over some dumb **** to investigate. I pulled the prints, I did the photo work, I did the shoe casting, cuz I knew these butt plugs were going down.

I had to drive 200 miles round trip over thhe pass to get the passanger window replaced in a nasty nasty snow storm. On the way home I called the local sheriff's office and asked where they were on this investigation.

THEY had done NOTHING. I got back to Klamath Falls and called my Sheriff in Calif, told him I was going to have to get our shit back.

The sheriff told me to get it done, and try not to kill anybody. I went to two different locations and had a chat with those folks. I discovered the PVS 21's were in a motel room here in town.

I callled the local Sheriff, speaking with an old friend who was the undersheriff. I told him I knew where the stole property was at, and ask him to meet me across the street.

This cock sucker say's well Dirk You not a cop here in Oregon anymore and we are shutting down for the day. I acknoleged the fact I wasn't sworn here anymore and then nicely explained to the undersheriff that I was going to recover my agency's stolen gear.

I advised him that they could tag along, or read about it in the ****ing paper the next morning. Interestingly enough the undersheriff knew I wasn't kidding and surely didn't want to read about it in the local rag so he rolled to back me.

Long story short in 15 minutes I was back in possession of the ANS 21's. and other stuff like GPS's Compasses etc etc.

Long story short. Someone jacks my shit, I'll find them sooner or later. Well chat and Im sure we will find a workable solution.

Im sorry for you guys who got your stuff stolen and never recovered in the past. With dwindling budgets and less cops do you really really believe the poo is going to get your shit back. Not likely, they all have 20/200 more cases just like yours that their working on at the same time.

Have a great day.
DW

shootist~
05-30-12, 17:07
Far a car I would suggest the best place to leave a long gun is in the trunk. Much less likely to get stolen if your car gets burglarized. And even then you should keep it in a garage at night.

My thoughts on a long gun in the vehicle are not for instant access, but the extremely remote situation (we are in a war) or if an LEO is in deep do-do and needs help. A handgun might not be the best choice. I do like the idea of citizens across the country (with some ability) to be able to respond to something extreme. It worked for the Minute Men.

Mine stays locked up in the back of my truck, but I'm semi-retired and work from home. Truck stays in a locked garage. Going to the movies or somewhere where it will stay in a public parking lot for more than a short while, I make other arrangements such as taking the wife's SUV.

AZ-Renegade
05-30-12, 17:25
Not to deviate the thread any further, but I saw an interesting security modification on a government vehicle the other day for transporting/storing weapons in the trunk of a sedan.

A bracket had been installed on the trunk lid and on the rear most portion of the trunk [near the opening] that allowed two short lengths of hardened chain to be secured to the trunk lid and just inside of the trunk.

Before completely closing the trunk, they would lock the two chains together using a padlock. The trunk could be opened just wide enought to unlock the padlock, but if there was a cased weapon in the trunk it could not be removed without unlocking the chains.

SteyrAUG
05-30-12, 23:47
Woulda, Shoulda, Coulda. To carry a rifle in your rig is a personal choice. Im not in the habit of letting shit heads/criminals dictate how I live or determine what I carry.

I'm not here to tell you how to live your life, I'm just making sure you are aware of the pitfalls of your potential decisions and it seems you are.

I typically have a mindset of the one you advocate and try not to let the shitheads dictate the rules. Like you I have been lucky enough to have gotten away with my obstinance on more than a few occasions. I also think you got incredibly lucky in finding and recovering your stolen items (and here I mean beating the odds and not commenting on your investigation skills).

But I have also had it bite me on the ass and I have discovered we are greatly outnumbered by the shitheads.

If I lived by my rules and the way things "aught to be" I wouldn't own a gun safe at all and my entire collection would be proudly displayed on the living room wall where it belongs and I'd have a selection shelf for handguns in the front room. My power tools would also be left on my workbench on the back porch and a lot of my shooting accessories would be in the shed.

But things aren't the way they "aught to be."

So to return to the original topic, I think any of the rifles mentioned would be suitable and you should choose one based upon "potential loss" as all will do the job adequately. I'd also agree with the recommendation for a decent AK for this role.

Nmate
05-31-12, 02:23
None of the above. I'd get an Arsenal SGL21/31-84/94. The 21 is chambered in 7.62, the 31 in 5.45. The -84 is a triangle folder, the -94 a polymer folder. I'd probably lean towards the SGL21 in this application because of the superior ammunition choices available. A truck gun by nature is one that will probably be mistreated and may not be in the best state of maintenance when you go to use it. That has "AK" written all over it.

The other option I'd go with would be a SCAR, caliber of your choice. The problem is that they're expensive.

Out of the options you listed, I'd probably take the AUG. It is very compact and should be quite reliable in adverse conditions. FALs have always been somewhat infamous for their dust sensitivity and they definitely do not run well dry. The problems with the AUG and the FAL, as with the SCAR, is that they're fairly expensive. This is a rifle that could pretty easily end up stolen.

Moose-Knuckle
05-31-12, 03:41
Not to deviate the thread any further, but I saw an interesting security modification on a government vehicle the other day for transporting/storing weapons in the trunk of a sedan.

A bracket had been installed on the trunk lid and on the rear most portion of the trunk [near the opening] that allowed two short lengths of hardened chain to be secured to the trunk lid and just inside of the trunk.

Before completely closing the trunk, they would lock the two chains together using a padlock. The trunk could be opened just wide enought to unlock the padlock, but if there was a cased weapon in the trunk it could not be removed without unlocking the chains.

Our SWAT guys take home cars are set up like this.

ramairthree
05-31-12, 19:27
I also agree with the folding stock AK as a basic choice.

I have a kit for each vehicle, and try to ensure multiple weapons with same mags/ammo per kit. I usually do a box with two layers.

Be it AK mag guns

http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu220/ramairfour/Range%20Test/DSC00443.jpg

http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu220/ramairfour/Range%20Test/DSC00444.jpg

9mm Glock mag guns
http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu220/ramairfour/Range%20Test/DSC00208.jpg

http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu220/ramairfour/Range%20Test/DSC00209.jpg

.40 cal Beretta mags
http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu220/ramairfour/Range%20Test/DSC00445.jpg

http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu220/ramairfour/Range%20Test/DSC00447.jpg

If crap is bad enough you need to break into your trunk kits, might as well have more guns on hand for whoever is with you.

I find non-folding guns to be a touch longer than I like to kit up.
Size takes a priority.
To outfit multiple vehicles takes a priority.

So i go for the smaller items and some less expensive options.

RogerinTPA
05-31-12, 20:05
How secure is a truck/trunk vault? I was thinking of have one or two installed when I get an SUV, and leaving my folding stock AK, with other kit in there. I notice more than a few folks attending any course I'm in attendance, having one or two mounted to their trunk beds.

CumbiaDude
06-03-12, 20:37
How secure is a truck/trunk vault?House safes have to be bolted into the concrete or they will disappear. If they're movable and a thief/burglar gets them into his garage he can spend weeks getting into it with power tools - no problem.

If you have it secured into the vehicle, that's just going to make sure the car thief doesn't forget to take the safe with all the cool stuff with it.

I don't think it'd be worth it, myself :D

bondmid003
06-06-12, 22:04
How secure is a truck/trunk vault? I was thinking of have one or two installed when I get an SUV, and leaving my folding stock AK, with other kit in there. I notice more than a few folks attending any course I'm in attendance, having one or two mounted to their trunk beds.

It's only as secure as the vehicle itself. If the truck is stolen the thieves will be able to break into the safe at their leisure. How secure is your vehicle is probably the better question?

TacticalSledgehammer
06-08-12, 10:24
I vote for the AK. I generally refer people to the nicer AKs on the market, but in your case I think I'd buy a cheap WASR. When buying it check for the usual issues, and if it's good snag it. My reasoning for the WSAR is that it's every bit as reliable as the Arsenal, but cheaper and already looks like shit. I work my truck a lot and could imagine the abuse it would take riding in my vehicle.

BullittBoy
06-08-12, 11:58
I own all the weapons listed and I have to say that the AK would be a great trunk gun because of all the listed answers BUT there is something that has not been discussed.

Let's say you have to pull out your AK and use it God forbid-you are in a parking lot or hiding behind your car and shooting it out when the cops show up.
Now think for one second if you are a police officer and you see some guy with an AK style rifle, or a civilian sees you running in a parking lot, what is the FIRST thing goes through your mind?
Bad guy. We are conditioned AK's belong to terrorists and bad guys.

Just sayin-it could cause some major confusion-I think a M4 style weapon would be more associated with police and good guys-just a thought.

My trunk gun would be my 16" 6.8 SPC loaded with 25 round mags of either Hornady 110 BTHP or 110 Accubonds from SSA.

Moose-Knuckle
06-08-12, 15:46
I own all the weapons listed and I have to say that the AK would be a great trunk gun because of all the listed answers BUT there is something that has not been discussed.

Let's say you have to pull out your AK and use it God forbid-you are in a parking lot or hiding behind your car and shooting it out when the cops show up.
Now think for one second if you are a police officer and you see some guy with an AK style rifle, or a civilian sees you running in a parking lot, what is the FIRST thing goes through your mind?

Just sayin-it could cause some major confusion-I think a M4 style weapon would be more associated with police and good guys-just a thought.

My trunk gun would be my 16" 6.8 SPC loaded with 25 round mags of either Hornady 110 BTHP or 110 Accubonds from SSA.

If your a non-uniformed person (this includes off-duty and plain clothes LEOs) holding/shooting ANY firearm at a scene you will be suspect El Número Uno when the police roll up. Its best to dial 911 first and give your identifers so you won't be shot when LE arrives on scene. I know, "in a perfect world".

Nmate
06-08-12, 17:37

Personally I'd go with some 85 or 110gr Barnes TAC-X/TSX. Phenomenal against intermediate barriers and flesh with no polymer tip to worry about. I'm not surprised that selected units have been using the 70gr 5.56 TSX lately.

TacticalSledgehammer
06-08-12, 17:57

I could see that being a valid point over seas but not here, unless you're exmilitary. To your average civilian a guy walking with an ak looks the same as the guy with a FAL, AR15, etc...
In a SHTF situation I beleive your view would be even more valid, just not in everyday self defense senerios. That's just my 2 cents worth. :cool:

Slopes
06-08-12, 18:11
I could see that being a valid point over seas but not here, unless you're exmilitary. To your average civilian a guy walking with an ak looks the same as the guy with a FAL, AR15, etc...
In a SHTF situation I beleive your view would be even more valid, just not in everyday self defense senerios. That's just my 2 cents worth. :cool:

Your absolutely right IMO. For example, my first firearm was a Saiga that I converted. I'm 17, and my mother had to purchase it for me. (I have taken several safety classes etc. but my mother/father are absolutely clueless regarding firearms.) When I told her it was an AK variant, her jaw literally dropped with shock. She wasn't even aware you could purchase an AK in the US, so yes, the average civilian/non gun person has no idea what an AK looks like over any other assault rifle.

SteyrAUG
06-09-12, 15:07

This is funny because a few years ago I sold quite a few AK rifles to an extremely well known Federal agency for use as trunk guns. Here's hoping they don't get mistaken for terrorists.

:D

drsal
06-09-12, 15:17

Actually an 'average guy' walking around with an AK here in South Florida is some type of gang member :D

CumbiaDude
06-09-12, 16:43
This is funny because a few years ago I sold quite a few AK rifles to an extremely well known Federal agency for use as trunk guns. Here's hoping they don't get mistaken for terrorists.Tucked in polo shirts, short hair, sunglasses, slacks = feds/police. That's another thing people assume, especially when they have a rifle.

That's one you can use to your advantage to avoid being thought of as a "terrorist" :p

Alaskapopo
06-09-12, 20:40
FAL is good, but do you really need .308? What exactly are you shooting through? What is there that'd block a proper 5.56 round but a .308 would go through it? Is it worth 20rd magazine instead of 30?

Aug, do you mean an Aug or do you really mean an MSAR?

AR is good, and especially so if you're familiar with it. Shot placement is always #1 :D

I would support the AK, too. 16" barrel, folding stock, good penetration.

I think AR or AK would probably be best. FAL seems unnecessarily large with more cons than pros. *shrug*
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g299/355sigfan/manually%20operated%20rifles/45-70.jpg
In Alaska I would say the FAL would be the best of the bunch and I am an AR fan. The reason being the .308 can reliably kill wild critters like brown bear and moose if need be while the 5.56 is not really meant for that. In the lower 48 states where this is less of a concern then the AR would be my pick. Then again my current truck gun is an 1895 SBL Marlin in 45-70 loaded with hot hand loads for bear.
pat

Alaskapopo
06-09-12, 20:45

I am a police officer and the type of weapon your are holding makes no difference in the throught process or decision making. Bad guys and good guys use all different types of guns and most cops really don't know the difference anyway. So if you want an AK carry an AK but obey the law.

Pat

SteyrAUG
06-10-12, 01:05
Tucked in polo shirts, short hair, sunglasses, slacks = feds/police. That's another thing people assume, especially when they have a rifle.

That's one you can use to your advantage to avoid being thought of as a "terrorist" :p

There is more truth to that than most people will ever understand.

This is why I also have my laminated MST3K fan club membership card on an ID clip.