PDA

View Full Version : Do I really need a cold hammer forged barrel?

frogger
05-28-12, 21:10
First, let me say that I am not an LEO or in the military. My AR's are for home defense, SHTF, plinking and maybe a carbine side match at an IDPA match occasionally. Barring the break down of law and order or a zombie apocalypse, I'm unlikely to ever fire my AR at anything that can shoot back. That being said, I want an AR that can handle that if it ever got that bad. My current AR is an M4gery. It has a 14.7" M4 profile barrel with a perm attached flash hider. I am in the process of building my 2nd AR. I'd like to make this one as close to a clone of the first one as possible. I'm just one of those people that thinks if something is worth having, it's worth it to have a backup. However, I keep reading about how great cold hammer forged barrels are. That's fine and I have no problem getting one, but I can't find a carbine gas system with a 14.5" or 14.7" CHF barrel. They all seem to be mid-lengths. My OCD doesn't like that one AR will be a carbine and one will be a middy, but I'll deal with it if that means getting a better barrel. My question is... at what round count do you really start to see the benefit of a CHF barrel? I shoot at the absolute max, 1000 rounds per year. Will I ever see any benefit of the upgraded barrel or should I just get the configuration I want and forget about CHF barrels?

Grease Monkey
05-28-12, 21:13
Go with a quality barrel and you'll be fine. No need for CFH.

GeorgiaBoy
05-28-12, 21:17
You do not. When you get to about 25K rounds, then you'll see a difference.

mkmckinley
05-28-12, 21:18
CHF barrels tend to be pretty decent when they're used by quality manufacturers but they aren't necessarily a must-have feature. Unless I'm mistaken Colt doesn't use them. Just buy from the quality, known GTG manufacturers that are always mentioned on here and don't sweat it too much. I have both barrel types and don't notice a difference and by the time I've shot out either I'll have way spent way more on the ammo than the barrels themselves.

gun71530
05-28-12, 21:19
Agreed with the above...no you do not. Just get a quality barrel.

bp7178
05-28-12, 22:33
Hammer forging is just another way to make a barrel. The actual technique is less important than the manufacturers QC process. Any method has the potential to make a very accurate or very shitty barrel.

I don't see CHF barrels being more expensive than button or cut rifled barrels. I'm sure you can find options cheaper, but again, who's making it? How is their quality?

The barrel is probably the single most important peice of the machine. I wouldn't skip there at all.

As to CHF barrels in 14.5", carbine gas w or w/o a FSB...

https://danieldefense.com/cold-hammer-forged-barrels/14-5-inch-chf-barrels/14-5-5-56mm-1-7-m4-profile.html

Wolvee
05-28-12, 22:59
If you just look at your AR and fondle it, No. If you shoot and train with it, Yes.

Accuracy & longevity are what you get for not a lot more in cost.

If you shoot once in a blue moon or one shot at a time then I would also have to say, no.

I'm no expert though

feedramp
05-28-12, 23:28
Is there somewhere I can read up on what precisely constitutes an M4gery? I see the term bandied about but am not quite sure what it means.

Wolvee
05-28-12, 23:41
Is there somewhere I can read up on what precisely constitutes an M4gery? I see the term bandied about but am not quite sure what it means.

Anything that is not "Colt".

Essentially a copy to the platform. The problem with the some application of that logic is there are lots of companies that make better M4/AR15's than Colt.

The same logic says that only a Colt can be a 1911.

Split66
05-28-12, 23:48

IIRC the true M4gery term refers lovingly to a semi auto Colt, i.e. LE/SP6920.

Any other use of the term is a violation and Colt will probably sue ya. :D

Just ask Shrubmaster.

polymorpheous
05-29-12, 00:13
You have been on this board long enough to know to use the search button.

This topic has been beat to death numerous times.