PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on beretta 92A1?

SoDak
05-28-12, 23:26
I picked up a used 92D for a spare/beater 9mm and now I kind of want to get a 92A1 (mainly for the light rail and single action trigger). My only hangup is that for the cost of a 92A1 I could get some nice polymer 9mm's like a G17 for less or a USP9 for a little more. Is the 92A1 worth buying or is it outperformed by other modern handguns?

HaydenB
05-29-12, 00:38
For ME Beretta's are big in the hand, heavy on the belt, and the controls are in all the wrong places. But that is me and you are you.

Nobody can tell you what is outdated if you can out-shoot them. But in MY opinion yes, they are a bit outdated and obsolete.

crh428
05-29-12, 06:41
The 92 series is a good pistol that gets a bad rap because the mil keeps and issues them long after they should have been replaced.

If you like the ergonomics of the pistol, you should be more than happy with it.

ShipWreck
05-29-12, 12:46
The 92A1 is my fav of all the railed models.

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g320/mistershipwreck/92A1-twins2.jpg

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g320/mistershipwreck/92a1-02.jpg

M4Guru
05-29-12, 14:35
I really like the Beretta 92 series in general, and this version is pretty great with the addition of a rail.

The M9A1 has a checkered pattern on the front strap for additional grip, but either of the railed versions is a pretty good gun if you have the hands to shoot and manipulate the gun efficiently.

goneshootin88
05-29-12, 14:42
Have you tried a "D" spring in your 92A1? It takes about 3 pounds off the DA pull and seems to smooth it out a little.

loupav
05-29-12, 14:51
Although I don't have any first hand experience with a 92A1, I can tell you that my 92FS, is a great shooter. Very smooth and a nice trigger, and it always looks good. But it is a little on the large side.

ShipWreck
05-29-12, 15:11
Have you tried a "D" spring in your 92A1? It takes about 3 pounds off the DA pull and seems to smooth it out a little.

I have D springs installed in all 9 of my various 92s.

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g320/mistershipwreck/9-wheel-o-berettacopy.jpg

Also, order the "USA style" lanyard loop pin, though. The 92s made in Italy uses a roll pin that is a super pain in the butt to knock out. Once ya get it out to install the D spring, may as well drop in the USA type pin instead of knocking that roll pin back in.

blackbox
05-29-12, 16:06
The 92A1 is an excellent weapon out of the box. I say that because I have shot over 1000 rounds with $9.99 ammo and never had a malfunction. It has a little bulkier grip than the other pistols out there on the market which is good for me because it lets me know that I have it on me instead of me always touching my waistband. It's also great to have if you're an avid collector of military nostalgia.

GrandPooba
05-29-12, 17:30
the 92 is not an outdated platform. Many great shooters have had success with the 92, such as Earnest Langdon, Ben Stoeger, Dave Harrington, etc.

The problem is that Beretta no longer makes optimal versions of the 92. Sure, the 92A1 is a very good gun, but all of the following are flat out better:

-92G
-92G Compact
-92G Vertec
-92 Elite II
-92G-SD

Unfortunately, it's not easy to find these anymore as they were produced in special runs/small batches only. I am a huge 92 fan and will keep on the lookout for the models listed above.

maddawg5777
05-31-12, 19:02
The 92 series is one of my favorites by far. My 92a1 has more rounds than I care to count throught it with out a hiccup. Also +1 vote on the 92g vertec needing to be reproduced.

HackerF15E
05-31-12, 19:28
Another vote for the 92D mainspring. It completely changes the character of the weapon, IMHO.

plouffedaddy
05-31-12, 20:25
I do wish they made a safety-less version but I think the 92 series weapons are far from outdated. IMO any gun that is almost 100% reliable with any ammunition will never be outdated...
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l178/tiffani33/Guns/IMAG1107.jpg

chilic82
05-31-12, 20:28
I can't get over the safety position, and the grip is not near as comforatble as some of the polymer offerings, but if it works for you then that's all that matters. I might buy one someday just for nostalgia, I have a thing for weapons used by our military.

Maverick07
05-31-12, 22:45
If Beretta came out with a 92G A1 Centurion... that would make my effing day. Hell, if Beretta made a run of 92G Centurion's or just plain old 92FS Centurion's I would snap one up... maybe even two.

LHS
05-31-12, 23:20
If they made a 92G-SD Compact I'd buy three in a heartbeat, especially if they got Crimson Trace to make lasergrips for them.

M4Fundi
06-01-12, 05:09
Has anyone here had a 92P? Thoughts?

duece71
06-01-12, 05:39
I had a 92FS, great gun, no problems ever with it. I sold it off to a friend for cash and the need to downsize the number of pistols I have in 9mm. I regret selling it and will probably pick up another some day. The 92A1 is nice with the addition of the rail.

Slater
06-01-12, 10:48
When Beretta introduced the 90Two a few years back it apparently wasn't a great success, although some features such as the recoil buffer carried over to the 92A1. A lot of folks seemed turned off by the styling.

crh428
06-01-12, 12:27
The 90-two was but ugly and a good example of why some guns are just meant to be metal, instead of polymer...

SoDak
06-01-12, 12:40
When Beretta introduced the 90Two a few years back it apparently wasn't a great success, although some features such as the recoil buffer carried over to the 92A1. A lot of folks seemed turned off by the styling.

The styling didn't bug me. What I didn't like was when handling it, the grips had a weird slick feeling. I suppose it could be solved with stippling, but I'd rather have the 92A1 since it would have the same grip as my 92D.

Talon167
06-01-12, 12:55
I've got a plain-jane 92FS that has been one of my favorites. 12k+ though it and it's very reliable.

Only issue I see with an M9A1 is holster availability... or lack there of. I've been really close to pulling hte trigger on a 96A1 for some time so hopefully more holsters become available for the railed Berettas.

Wiggity
06-01-12, 13:06
I have an m9 and love it, I was into glocks for a while but for some reason I shoot my m9 a lot better

plouffedaddy
06-01-12, 14:07
The styling didn't bug me. What I didn't like was when handling it, the grips had a weird slick feeling. I suppose it could be solved with stippling, but I'd rather have the 92A1 since it would have the same grip as my 92D.

The slickness is the biggest problem I have with mine. I've stippled it and added a strip of sandpaper tape to the front of the frame under the trigger guard and it helps a ton. It's an awesome gun except for the grip. I'm shocked there aren't companies making a replacement grip sleeve for the gun---it'd be great if it had a decent grip.

DBZ220
06-01-12, 15:01
Just wanted to mention that Beretta has plans on bringing out an M9A1 compact in stainless sometime soon. Hopefully this will bring new life to the compact 92 series. I don't have any pics handy right now, but they've circulated on other forums recently...

QUOTE=GrandPooba;1316982]the 92 is not an outdated platform. Many great shooters have had success with the 92, such as Earnest Langdon, Ben Stoeger, Dave Harrington, etc.

The problem is that Beretta no longer makes optimal versions of the 92. Sure, the 92A1 is a very good gun, but all of the following are flat out better:

-92G
-92G Compact
-92G Vertec
-92 Elite II
-92G-SD

Unfortunately, it's not easy to find these anymore as they were produced in special runs/small batches only. I am a huge 92 fan and will keep on the lookout for the models listed above.[/QUOTE]

Slater
06-01-12, 15:13
It's also fun listening to the gunshop commandos banter about the whole M9/M9A1/M92A1 family. (Overheard a couple months ago): "Dude, the Army is planning to adopt the M92A1 as the M9A2".
:D

Pistol Shooter
06-01-12, 16:28
Bought my first 92FS in 1989 -- beautifully blued Italian model. I've added three to my collection since, they've all been great pistols in every way.

Very accurate, reliable to a fault, easy to take down for cleaning and a pleasure to shoot.

IMO, the Beretta 92FS/M9/M9A1 etc, is one hell of a good deal at $600.00 or so. Worth every penny. ;)

arcticlightfighter
06-01-12, 18:41
If they made a "G" model, Id buy a couple. as previously stated, they should re-release the G models and I think that their LE sales would increase.

One of my favorite pistols has always been a 92FS. Ultra reliable if not a bit large for a 9mm.

LHS
06-01-12, 18:47
If they made a "G" model, Id buy a couple. as previously stated, they should re-release the G models and I think that their LE sales would increase.

One of my favorite pistols has always been a 92FS. Ultra reliable if not a bit large for a 9mm.

If they made an M9A1-G or a 92A1-G, I'd be on it like a hobo on a ham sandwich. If they ever make that M9A1 Compact in a G-variant, I'd be on it like Charlie Sheen on a coke-dusted Thai hooker.

SoDak
06-01-12, 18:58
Glad to hear that the 92 series is still a viable choice. I honestly wish I could get a new Elite or Vertec, but since those are harder to get, a 92A1 will work. The two main reasons I wanted one was both the light rail and the claimed improvements that increase frame life. Plus getting a solid 9mm auto for around $600 didn't seem too bad either.

arcticlightfighter
06-01-12, 19:03
Biggest appeal to me about the 92A1 is the recoil assy and the removable front sight.

The addition of the D spring really helps the trigger pull however, I wish that they had a shorter reset.

seb5
06-02-12, 16:08
If you want a hi cap double action 9mm there is nothing wrong with the 92. I carried one on duty for several years and for a tour in Iraq and never had any issues. If I was looking for that type of pistol I prefer it to most with the possible exception of the P226. I had a couple of Italian 92's that were just downright sexy! You don't have to worry much about the 92's working and in my experiences were extremely accurate, possible more so than any of the other wonder nines.

Gary1911A1
06-03-12, 10:21
I realize it's a game to many, but a Production Shooter won the National with a Beretta 92. I think it was an Elite. I also realize it the shooter more than the pistol, but to win the Nations against all the shooters Glocks and M&Ps' is saying something.

BrigandTwoFour
06-03-12, 15:33
I have used a 92A1 as my HD and competition for about the last year (I just picked up a FNS-9 to practice with for a bit).

I really enjoy the 92 series. I installed a Wolf version of the "D" spring, that brought the double action down quite a bit (it's now about 7-8 lbs).

The pistol is accurate, I have regularly run steel poppers out to 50 yards (the furthest I've tried to shoot). I make nice silver-dollar sized ragged holes off hand at 10 yards. I may do better, but I'm a pretty average shot compared to some of the guys I shoot with.

Holster selection is iffy. Right now I'm running it with a tactical tailor, but I'm sure any of the reputable kydex makers can get you a custom fitted one if you needed it.

Only once have I accidentally activated the the safety/decocker while manipulating the slide (on a reload). Out of at least 1500 rounds of various ammo (including my HD 124gr Speer Gold Dots), I've never had a malfunction of any sort. It just keeps running.

06-04-12, 11:17
I like the 92fs, but I really like my 92G. If Beretta would make more of these, I for one, would be very happy. I found the 90-two to have a very slippery grip and Beretta changed the safety geometry slightly. Whereas I was able to off safe upon drawing with a nudge from my thumb with the 92fs, the safety on the Dash was improperly positioned for this technique. I would buy a compact 92A1 G.

GrandPooba
06-04-12, 19:05
I realize it's a game to many, but a Production Shooter won the National with a Beretta 92. I think it was an Elite. I also realize it the shooter more than the pistol, but to win the Nations against all the shooters Glocks and M&Ps' is saying something.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ue8_uN0OIVs

Ben Stoeger shoots an 92 Elite II and won USPSA Nationals.

Sensei
06-04-12, 19:44
The slickness is the biggest problem I have with mine. I've stippled it and added a strip of sandpaper tape to the front of the frame under the trigger guard and it helps a ton. It's an awesome gun except for the grip. I'm shocked there aren't companies making a replacement grip sleeve for the gun---it'd be great if it had a decent grip.

Hogue, Alumagrip, and VZ Grips all make excellent aftermarket grips for the Beretta 92 series. I've installed Hogue grip panels on every issue M9 on every overseas deployment - very helpful in the hot desert when your hands get sweaty.

plouffedaddy
06-05-12, 08:48
Hogue, Alumagrip, and VZ Grips all make excellent aftermarket grips for the Beretta 92 series. I've installed Hogue grip panels on every issue M9 on every overseas deployment - very helpful in the hot desert when your hands get sweaty.

I love VZ grips but I have a 90-two. They don't make aftermarket grips for those that I'm aware of.

GrandPooba
06-05-12, 18:03

I use and recommend Trausch grips. They are a bit ugly, but you cannot get anything thinner. I can operate the decocker/safety extremely easily with just my strong hand thumb and I do not have large hands.

I put some grip tape panels on them as they are a bit slippery. However, my 92 feels almost like a single stack gun with them on. I shit you not.