PDA

View Full Version : old 6721

Phillygunguy
05-29-12, 06:58
Hey folks, just curious and want some feedback A while back i bought a used Colt 6721 tactical carbine H bar It was previously owned by a police dept.
and I have no idea how many rounds were put through it, but looks like its been through a lot.
I shot a few hundred rounds and had no issues However I have to slam the magazine in order for it to seat . I ordered a new mag catch and spring that im waiting on Just curious if its worth getting a new barrel.It has a H buffer and recoil spring seems ok I replaced the half moon bolt carrier with a new one from BCM. I kinda want this as a reliable backup to my 6920 plus i want to make this a little project. Sorry for the long post but just want to know if its even worth the time and money, or should I leave it as is?

FChen17213
05-29-12, 07:10
If you get a new barrel, you might want to get a 1:7 twist barrel. One of the biggest complaints about the 6721 is that it has a 1:9 and may not shoot 77 gr and heavier bullets well.

Phillygunguy
05-29-12, 07:14
Yeah i don't mind the heavy barrel I kinda want to keep it close to its original configuration. I may get 1:7 twist

товарищ
05-29-12, 08:58
I'd leave it alone unless there's an obvious degradation in accuracy or you want to use ammo >62gr.

Beat Trash
05-29-12, 09:33
I'd clean the barrel, then bench rest it and see what kind of accuracy you're getting. I'd be willing to bet the barrel is still serviceable.

If you need to replace the barrel, then I'd go with a 1/7 as previously mentioned.

ST911
05-29-12, 10:21
A LE gun is likely to have been carried much and shot little. I would clean it up, have an armorer inspect and gauge it (if available), perform service as indicated, and test fire. Afterward, just shoot it.

Phillygunguy
05-29-12, 10:25
Thanks for the replys ill probably check the accuracy and if its gtg ill keep it as is

Frens
05-29-12, 13:50
unless your going to select a 77gr as primary ammo I wouldnt worry about the 1/9 twist.

I have your same barrel and it's very accurate for my needs (2.5'' at 100m with factory ammo and 6MOA dot sight). The HBAR for a KISS setup is not that bad and helps keeping the carbine tacticoolcrap free :D

oh btw, my barrel can handle 77gr bullets...every barrel is different so test it first you take a decision.

Phillygunguy
05-29-12, 14:50
Ill have to try it with77gr but yes Frens this will be a tacticool crap free carbine ;)