PDA

View Full Version : UTAC - any experience with their products?

luckybaer
05-29-12, 12:49
Two part inquiry here. Hope to find someone that can chime in with their experience.

PART ONE:

I want to replace the handguards on my LE6920 and M400. In the course of my research, I came across a company that offers quad rail handguards for a very reasonable price. Their products are marketed under the "UTAC" name. Here is a link to their product on amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/ALUMINUM-Carbine-Length-Picatinny-Handguard/dp/B005QPJOSS/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=20MS2CJAKWTHN&coliid=I3PAIU202Q9KT5

Does anyone here have any experience with this company's products? I searched "UTAC" on this site and didn't get any hits.

----------------
PART TWO

I had been contemplating the EZ CAR from Daniel Defense. Those handguards cost $165 per the DD site. The UTAC handguards list for $60, but they are discounted to $34.99 on Amazon.

What is the point of diminishing returns here? For example, in the world of audiophile headphones, I could buy a high-quality headphone for $299. There are also headphones I've tried that are $899. The $899 headphone was better than the $299 headphone, but not SIX HUNDRED DOLLARS better. I concluded that paying $600 for such a relatively small incremental improvement was not worth it.

Will I get $130 worth of better quality (fit, finish, durability, customer support) out of the Daniel Defense handguards? Or, is the difference between the DD handguards and the less-expensive alternatives not worth the extra money?

TomMcC
05-29-12, 13:36
The UTAC is a Chinese product more suitable for airsoft stuff. DD is made for real guns, and is quality stuff. Only you can decide what you want on your gun. As far as CS, DD would be much better, they are an American company with a good rep.

luckybaer
05-29-12, 13:44
Well, as far as I'm concerned, that settles it. No UTAC stuff for me. I'll go with a tried and tested US company like DD, Troy, MI, etc.

Lots of choices available for me.

Thanks for the UTAC info. China? No way, not if I can avoid it.

TomMcC
05-29-12, 13:56
I didn't mean to imply that everything from China is junk. I have a Fenix flashlight in my pocket that works pretty well, and the phone company I work for gets some pretty advanced and reliable stuff from China. It's just from a firearms angle, American, and European stuff is more of the way to go, IMO.

luckybaer
05-29-12, 15:26
I didn't mean to imply that everything from China is junk. I have a Fenix flashlight in my pocket that works pretty well, and the phone company I work for gets some pretty advanced and reliable stuff from China. It's just from a firearms angle, American, and European stuff is more of the way to go, IMO.

I didn't mean to make it sound as though you implied products from China are junk. I should have been more clear in my reply. No "Made In China" on my "Made in U.S.A" firearms (or made in Italy, as is the case with my Beretta).

I'm with you. There are some good products that come out of China. I prefer to buy them after I've actually seen, touched, and tried the product, though.