PDA

View Full Version : Colt 6940 grip problem

whitey615
05-29-12, 13:35
So I put a Magpul Miad grip on my 6940 the other day and now the safety seems to be sloppy. Enough that it could unintentionally be disengaged.

Has anyone experienced this? And is it safe to drop something in before the detent spring to tighten it up?

Thanks.

Frens
05-29-12, 13:54
if you installed everything correctly maybe the hole for the detent & spring in the grip is too deep....just a guess.

ETA: try to measure the hole depth by putting a fine steel wire (from a paper clip) in it and compare with the factory grip.

40Arpent
05-30-12, 08:03
...is it safe to drop something in before the detent spring to tighten it up?

Since you are asking the quoted question, I have to wonder...did you reinstall the pin along with the spring?

Kokopelli
05-30-12, 08:12
Several have reported the spring recess (hole) being too deep. I would check for the detent and then the depth of the hole as noted above.. Ron

Eric
05-30-12, 10:00
Not unheard of and I'm willing to bet Magpul will swap it out. Or, you can trim a tiny section of metal rod and seat it in the bottom of the hole to increase the spring tension.

whitey615
05-31-12, 08:38
Thanks for the replies. I will check the depth.

KyAKGuy
05-31-12, 14:15
Take off the grip and drop the spring i the hole and see how much
is sticking out. Do the same with the stock grip and compare.
If it is the same length you should be good to go.
Could you of lost the detent for the safety?

KyAKGuy

GrumpyM4
05-31-12, 16:05
A quick tip:

If you lose a detent, or if in this case the spring hole on the grip is too deep, a small bit of a wire coathanger, cut to length and then file the ends into the proper shape will fit perfectly. Of course heating and quenching them will go a long way to ensuring that they will last longer though.

Great way to manufacture a replacement detent if you lose one, and are waiting for new ones to arrive in the mail should you not already have spares.

GTifosi
05-31-12, 16:24
a small bit of a wire coathanger...... heating and quenching...
If accessable, some car antennas are about right OD and made from spring steel.

Cagemonkey
05-31-12, 19:47
Several have reported the spring recess (hole) being too deep. I would check for the detent and then the depth of the hole as noted above.. Ron
I concur. I have noticed this. Using a Battle Arms selector makes it even worst.

Stinx
06-03-12, 10:01
Magpul will swap out the grip with one with a correctly drilled hole

whitey615
06-03-12, 15:51
I get a day off tomorrow and plan to check the depth.

jasonhgross
06-07-12, 12:33
I have the same problem with a magpul MOE grip, I contacted them and they are sending out a replacement. On one Colt 6920 the MOE grip works fine, on the other, its sloppy.

Pappabear
06-12-12, 18:18
As you know now, it should be perfect.