PDA

View Full Version : Act Of Valor DVD

Spiffums
05-30-12, 06:53
I got an email this morning from Amazon that some of my wish list pre releases were about to be released.

I looked at the also viewed and noticed that Act of Valor will be out on DVD June 5th!!!! My sister was talking about getting it on DVD when we walked out of the movies.

Safehouse is also out that week too.

B Cart
05-30-12, 11:20
I don't usually buy many movies when they first come out on DVD and are selling for $20+, but I think i'll pay the money and pick this one up on blue ray when it comes out. Great film

Spiffums
05-30-12, 11:49
Best Buy and other places like that usually have new releases at $15ish.

jaxman7
05-30-12, 11:57
Yep been tracking the release date on this one. Hopefully it'll have some good bonus features with it.

-Jax

TAZ
05-30-12, 14:22
The big poster at Chinamart said June 5th availability. Gonna get a copy for sure, just need to decide whether to do it digitally or buy a DVD and hope I can convert it to play on my iPad.

SW-Shooter
05-30-12, 14:38
People still buy DVD's? I thought Blu-Ray sent them the way of VHS tapes.

Spiffums
05-30-12, 18:13

Combo Pack! You get Blu, reg and some form of digital/streaming. My favorite is where you can "download it" from the internet.

CaptainDooley
05-30-12, 18:59
I don't usually buy many movies when they first come out on DVD and are selling for $20+, but I think i'll pay the money and pick this one up on blue ray when it comes out. Great film

The first week is usually the best time to buy - most places (Best Buy, Target, Wal-Mart, etc.) will sell a movie at deep discounts the first week as a loss-leader to get you into the store. Usually you can pick up what is normally a $25+ Blu Ray combo pack for around $15. Since I have the self control of a samurai, I usually just pre-order on Amazon as I walk out of the theater of something I want to own and it shows up Thursday the week it comes out and I end up paying ~ the same amount, since Amazon discounts new releases as well.

Also, friends don't let friends buy DVDs.

Moose-Knuckle
05-30-12, 20:30

Yes, I do.

I still have a Beta player floating around somewhere too. :fie:

kaiservontexas
05-30-12, 21:39
I do not know what day, but pre-orders are up on iTunes. I just clicked pre-order and yes to auto-download when it is available.

kwelz
05-30-12, 23:30
Hmm. The 5th is my Birthday and I work at Bestbuy. Buy Bluray or go with the digital download.

obucina
05-30-12, 23:56
Yes, I do.

and i have an HD-DVD player:D

Moose-Knuckle
05-31-12, 03:23
and i have an HD-DVD player:D

Oh snap, put that on the back shelf next to the laser disc player. :jester:

B Cart
05-31-12, 11:38
The first week is usually the best time to buy - most places (Best Buy, Target, Wal-Mart, etc.) will sell a movie at deep discounts the first week as a loss-leader to get you into the store. Usually you can pick up what is normally a $25+ Blu Ray combo pack for around $15. Since I have the self control of a samurai, I usually just pre-order on Amazon as I walk out of the theater of something I want to own and it shows up Thursday the week it comes out and I end up paying ~ the same amount, since Amazon discounts new releases as well.

Also, friends don't let friends buy DVDs.

Good call and thanks for the advice! And yes, I'm planning on getting it in Blue Ray :-)

obucina
05-31-12, 11:45
Good call and thanks for the advice! And yes, I'm planning on getting it in Blue Ray :-)

do you have a BB reward zone card? they send me coupon offers quite often...hell after I bought my 55in Panasonic a few months back, I got a $20 gift cert and picked up Mission Impossible for the cost of sales tax!

Hmac
05-31-12, 11:58
I'll pick it up when it's available to rent on iTunes.

SW-Shooter
05-31-12, 15:03
Yes, I do.

My dad still has the old Laserdisc, the machine looks damn near new and he has about a dozen movies. Now that's old school.

feedramp
05-31-12, 15:32

duece71
05-31-12, 20:42
My dad still has the old Laserdisc, the machine looks damn near new and he has about a dozen movies. Now that's old school.

It is, but real old school is the VHS player that loads on TOP of the machine. Some of them even had TV like turn dials on the front!

Act of Valor was one of the best war movies to date, I was so glad Hollywood didn't get their mits on it and **** it up. Having real SEALs play the parts and not actors was quite refreshing and made it even better. Definately getting a copy of this movie when it comes out, thanks for the heads up.

feedramp
05-31-12, 21:02

jhs1969
06-01-12, 03:46
Already planning to pick up the DVD, having surgery on the 11th, will see it many times over:neo:

Battle*Hound
06-06-12, 22:34
Bought the bluray yesterday. Just finished watching it. This movie exceeded my expectations tenfold. See it!!

jmp45
06-07-12, 12:00
Blueray should be arriving today or tomorrow for a Friday night viewing. It's the first I've purchased in a very long time.

B Cart
06-07-12, 12:40
I picked it up on Blue Ray yesterday at Best Buy and my wife and I watched it last night. It was just as good the third time!

Belmont31R
06-08-12, 17:55
I personally thought it was like an extended Modern Warfare trailer.

That scene with the guy fading in and out in the milk factory tunnels was straight from MW1's ending scene.

Battle*Hound
06-08-12, 18:06
I personally thought it was like an extended Modern Warfare trailer.

That scene with the guy fading in and out in the milk factory tunnels was straight from MW1's ending scene.

soooo, did u like it?

Belmont31R
06-08-12, 18:23
soooo, did u like it?

The combat scenes were good especially with the boat crews....but the rest was kinda hokey. Like I said a lot like a MW trailer.

Hmac
06-08-12, 18:52
Rent-able or purchase-able on iTunes, I note.

jmp45
06-08-12, 19:31
I thought this film was good. Only a few scenes where the acting was a little lacking, but they are Seals, not Clooney, Damon and the likes which is a huge plus. Camp, boat, and halo scenes made it for me.

Moose-Knuckle
07-05-12, 18:06
Finally got around to watching this via On-Demand.

Plot and dialogue were subpar. Action was there and props to the NSW community and the producers for making it happen. I felt the POV segments were over the top and appealed to the gamers, but hey they have a powerful recruiting tool now.

---> Spoiler Alert <---

My favorite part in the film was when the SWCC guys arrived on scene in the SOC-Rs and opened up on the enemy QRF with their lethal array (M134s, MK19s, M240s, and M2s). :cool:

a0cake
07-05-12, 19:51
I LOL'd hard at the Raven scene. I wonder what BAE Systems got out of them putting that POS in the movie.

SteyrAUG
07-05-12, 23:32
I actually found the movie to be pretty impressive.

Endur
07-06-12, 00:26
Bought the dvd couple days after it came out as rentals where out everywhere I went. Figured it would be a movie I would like to own anyway. Best movie I have seen all year.

chadbag
07-06-12, 12:15
Yes, I do.

I just hooked up my VHS player after 10 years (through a USB TV tuner adapter on the computer no less!) as I have a bunch of older Japanese anime tapes the kids wanted to watch...

It's been interesting trying to explain to the kids how to control the machine and that you have to rewind! the tape when you are done.

WRT: Act of Valor. Will have to see if I can rent this on iTunes or something.

--

Belmont31R
07-06-12, 21:39
I just hooked up my VHS player after 10 years (through a USB TV tuner adapter on the computer no less!) as I have a bunch of older Japanese anime tapes the kids wanted to watch...

It's been interesting trying to explain to the kids how to control the machine and that you have to rewind! the tape when you are done.

WRT: Act of Valor. Will have to see if I can rent this on iTunes or something.

--

FWIW Ive found Amazon Prime to be very good when it comes to movies. If you can stand to wait a bit, and for the price to drop...you can get the movie put on your account to watch streaming as well as getting a hard copy. I bought Alien for 6 bucks, and through my prime membership I got a streaming copy as well. I have quite a few movies I can access through my PS3 with the Amazon app and watch through that which was included with the purchase of the DVD/BR from Amazon...