PDA

View Full Version : M&P pistol, 9 vs 40 vs 45 midsize

crusader377
05-31-12, 10:55
I have owned a M&P 9 with nightsights for a 1 1/2 years and I have decided to make the M&P my go to platform for both home defense/training. I have been considering purchasing a second M&P and have narrowed my choices between a second M&P 9 or a M&P 40 or 45 midsized. Since I mainly shot 9mm it makes the most sense to buy a 9 but I have alot of interest in the other two options. FYI, besides 9mm, I also shot .45. I don't own a .40 but not opposed to owning one.

Second question is should I sell by CZ-75 to fund it? I like the CZ but haven't shot it since purchasing the M&P. If not, I would just save for a few months and buy the M&P later.

djmorris
05-31-12, 11:14
M&P 40 is one of the finer 40 caliber handguns out there. That gets my vote.

number1olddog
05-31-12, 19:24
M&P 40 is one of the finer 40 caliber handguns out there. That gets my vote.

My thought as well

RogerinTPA
05-31-12, 20:24
Get another M&P9. I use one as a training gun (15K+ fired), and the other as a "go to" gun. If you plan on keeping up with training, it has been said many times to standardize your weapons for common mags, controls & muscle memory. It can also be shared with a significant other and both guns fed with the same type/caliber of ammo. Your wallet will thank you down the road with the cost savings in ammo alone. I also own the M&P40 & 45FS. Both are great guns, but do not get the range time as the 9s. The 45 pulls bed stand duty mostly. If I had to do it all over again the Mid size 45 would be the ticket.

chilic82
05-31-12, 20:24
If you think you will ever want a .40, then the M&P is one of the top choices, If it were me I would get the .45midsize or compact in a heartbeat.

tb1911
05-31-12, 21:28
If you get the M&P .40, you can get a Storm Lake 9MM conversion barrel for $160. That plus a few 9MM magazines and you have the best of both worlds. You can also go with .357 Sig with just a barrel change too.

Generally, I carry and shoot mine in .40, but if I get my hands on 9MM for a reasonable price or I reload a bunch, I will shoot that in competitions and training. If I go someplace where .40 might be scarce, I wouldn't hesitate to pop the 9MM barrel in and carry that.

Brimstone
05-31-12, 22:10
M&P9

Two is one and one is none.

Watrdawg
06-01-12, 07:17
I've been shooting my 45mid for a little over a year now. In that time I've taken 4 classes with it and put about 3000 rds through it. I've only had 1 ammo induced hiccup. It's very accurate and for a 45 very comfortable to shoot. Conceals well and easy to carry. Other than the cost of ammo I can't find much to fault with this weapon. I'll definitely be getting another very soon.

loupav
06-01-12, 09:03
I just picked up a M&P 9mm and I have to admit, it's a very nice pistol. I'd like to spend some more time with it, but the stock trigger is BS. At least that can be fixed easily. I even like how the pistol looks.

Beat Trash
06-01-12, 10:05
I have owned a M&P 9 with nightsights for a 1 1/2 years and I have decided to make the M&P my go to platform for both home defense/training. I have been considering purchasing a second M&P and have narrowed my choices between a second M&P 9 or a M&P 40 or 45 midsized. Since I mainly shot 9mm it makes the most sense to buy a 9 but I have alot of interest in the other two options. FYI, besides 9mm, I also shot .45. I don't own a .40 but not opposed to owning one.

Second question is should I sell by CZ-75 to fund it? I like the CZ but haven't shot it since purchasing the M&P. If not, I would just save for a few months and buy the M&P later.

There is nothing wrong with using a 9mm for defense. There are many advantages for using a 9mm for training. Cost of ammunition being top on my list.

I would rather have a second gun identical to the one you are training with. Use one for training and keep one for defense.

If you were to ever use your gun in a defensive shooting, it will be taken and held as evidence until the Grand Jury returns a verdict, or until the trial is over. On TV, this happens before the next commercial. In real life, it could take weeks or take months, depending on the jurisdiction, media attention to the event, and any other mitigating factors. Same thing applies for a LEO involved in an OIS. In my city, a OIC shooting with no issues usually means the officer won't see his actual issued gun back for about 6 months.

If that were to happen to you remember that it's not uncommon for friends and/or relatives of the person you shot to have issue with your decision making process. They may want to express their displeasure by trying to kill you. It would be nice to have a spare gun, already vetted, that uses the same holster, ammo, mags, and that you've trained with, ready to go.

As to selling off the CZ? The answer to this really depends on how much you really like the gun. As you said, you can always save up for another M&P. Or you can sell the CZ and buy another M&P. Then save up and use the funds for training and ammo.

DocGKR
06-01-12, 18:12
Sell the CZ and acquire two more M&P9's...

cmharb2
06-02-12, 00:29
I had a CZ-p07 Duty.....rear sight got knocked off after spending a hike in my gear bag....Sold it for a full size M&P9 and never looked back. These guns are great

crusader377
06-04-12, 08:52
Thanks for everyones opinion on this. I think I'm moving in the direction of a M&P 45 midsized but that still can change. The M&P 9 is still in the running and although I have been very happy with the accuracy of mine out to 25 yards it seems like the 9 has had some accuracy issues. Actually my thoughts right now is to purchase the M&P 45 midsized first and then probably a 9 later when S&W works through some of the accuracy issues. The 40 still holds some interest but I'm pretty invested in 9mm and 45 and dont really see a need for a third cartridge.

Still debating on my long term plans with the CZ75. Although I like the pistol and it is very accurate and 100% reliable I don't really shoot it since purchasing the M&P.

Gary1911A1
06-05-12, 09:47
Going with a M&P mid side 45 is a good choice too. If you don't reload I suggest you look into it as it will make the 45 cheaper to shoot than factory 9MM.

OldState
06-05-12, 11:36
To be honest I really don't understand the mid sized M&P 45. The full size is just as easy to conceal and you get a longer sight radius and barrel.

The compact is the same slide length as the mid sized plus you can use 10 round mags...and with a x grip for $12, they will mate up just like the mid. And you still have the versatility of the shorter grip. It's the grip that is the hard part to conceal, not the slide.

I would go with the FS or the Compact. I bought a FS and it conceals well with the new PS holster I just got for it.

mig1nc
06-06-12, 04:05
If you get the M&P .40, you can get a Storm Lake 9MM conversion barrel for $160. That plus a few 9MM magazines and you have the best of both worlds. You can also go with .357 Sig with just a barrel change too.

Generally, I carry and shoot mine in .40, but if I get my hands on 9MM for a reasonable price or I reload a bunch, I will shoot that in competitions and training. If I go someplace where .40 might be scarce, I wouldn't hesitate to pop the 9MM barrel in and carry that.

This. With the M&P40 you can basically have three guns in one.

9mm gets scarce? Use .40. Like big flashes? Go with .357sig.

.357 and .40 use the same magazines, you just need a barrel swap. You can get factory barrels if you prefer.

CHIEF GR
06-07-12, 01:40
M&P .40FS with a 9mm SL conversion barrel and some mags.

Alaskapopo
06-07-12, 01:52
This. With the M&P40 you can basically have three guns in one.

9mm gets scarce? Use .40. Like big flashes? Go with .357sig.

.357 and .40 use the same magazines, you just need a barrel swap. You can get factory barrels if you prefer.

I used to do this about 10 years ago with my Sigs and Glocks. I was really into multi caliber guns at the time. But I came to learn this is really stupid. Why own and stock 3 different calibers that all basically do the same exact thing and 2 of them cost more and hold less bullets in the gun. Not saying 40 or even .357 sig is not a viable choice but standardization is the key. Get one caliber and stock up on ammo. Don't split yourself on 2 or 3 types of ammo different mags, points of impact recoil impulses etc. A training and logistics nightmare.
pat

Skunk Pilot
06-07-12, 04:31
There is nothing wrong with using a 9mm for defense. There are many advantages for using a 9mm for training. Cost of ammunition being top on my list.

I would rather have a second gun identical to the one you are training with. Use one for training and keep one for defense.

If you were to ever use your gun in a defensive shooting, it will be taken...
They may want to express their displeasure by trying to kill you.
It would be nice to have a spare gun, already vetted, that uses the same holster, ammo, mags, and that you've trained with, ready to go.

I haven't really thought about that too much (except few minutes sometime following Martin\Zimmerman case), but that's a very, very good point. I think I need to hear it more and others not so involved yet. More important to people just starting out and thinking of they're second or third gun and taking the self defense thing more seriously at home or out of the house. Of course this applies more to people who have to save up for items (vast majority I'd assume if not using credit card) and don't just go out and spend $100's right away on accessories for each gun. Let alone if needed or wanted; aftermarket barrels, trigger upgrades, aftermarket sights, or the training.

Thanks for everyone's opinion on this. I think I'm moving in the direction of a M&P 45 midsized but that still can change. The M&P 9 is still in the running and although I have been very happy with the accuracy of mine out to 25 yards it seems like the 9 has had some accuracy issues. Actually my thoughts right now is to purchase the M&P 45 midsized first and then probably a 9 later when S&W works through some of the accuracy issues. The 40 still holds some interest but I'm pretty invested in 9mm and 45 and don't really see a need for a third cartridge.

I just sent out an email to S&W about my displeasure of the M&P9 accuracy issues and I told them I hope they are working on a fix. With that issue fixed and a little better triggers I think they're the best buy polymer guns out there. Out of the box as is I still think they're great. At least the 40's and 45's have good accuracy.

Maybe sell the CZ and put the money toward a new M&P along with Apex goodies. If you do get a 9mm, maybe get the SL barrel from Grant.

I used to do this about 10 years ago with my Sigs and Glocks. I was really into multi caliber guns at the time. But I came to learn this is really stupid. Why own and stock 3 different calibers that all basically do the same exact thing and 2 of them cost more and hold less bullets in the gun. Not saying 40 or even .357 sig is not a viable choice but standardization is the key. Get one caliber and stock up on ammo. Don't split yourself on 2 or 3 types of ammo different mags, points of impact recoil impulses etc. A training and logistics nightmare.
pat

I was just thinking of going the M&P40 route and getting a 9mm conversion barrel to fix the accuracy issue. Since the Storm Lake oversized barrels that Grant will release will be awhile after the regular 9's I decided against it. Also was thinking more last night since I'm getting into reloading for the first time that I don't really want to have two calibers to worry about in the beginning. Just want to keep it simple for now.

mig1nc
06-07-12, 05:41
pat

Right, I don't disagree at all. But there is an advantage to not being stuck with one caliber. If all your weapons are 9mm, then all of a sudden you can't get 9mm, you are in bad shape.

There was a point a while back where 9mm was hard to find. I had some 40s that I didn't have any trouble finding ammo for.

But you do also make a great point about stocking up for those hard times.

crusader377
06-09-12, 23:04
Thank you all for your feedback. The feedback along with my own research is helping me close in on what I'm planning to buy. The .40 cal option is out for now, I really don't want to invest in a third caliber. Also, I have a friend that is interested in purchasing the CZ if I sell it and we have nailed down a rough price on it.

Right now here is my thought process on what I'm considering.

Option 1: Is an identical M&P to what I own, which is a stock M&P 9 with night sights and NMS. If I go with this option I will purchase 2-3 additional magazines. This is the cheapest option and with the funds from my CZ I will only spend between $50-$100 out of pocket. With this option I will have two exactly identical pistols with 7-8 magazines between them. I thought of possibly having the APEX DCAEK done to this option but I'm unsure if I want a 5lb trigger pull on a pistol without an external safety.

Option 2 is similiar to one but I would buy one with a thumb safety and have the APEX DCAEK done to it. I would also buy 2-3 magazines. With this option I'm looking to spend around $175-$200 out of pocket. In addition, I would probably purchase one of the Storm Lake barrels in the future (Additional $200). Using this option I still have magazine commonality but this option would fully match or exceed the accuracy and lighter trigger of the CZ and would serve both as a defensive pistol and my IDPA gun.

Option 3: M&P 45 midsize with TS and DCAEK installed plus 2 additional magazines. I have been interested in the M&P 45 for awhile and this would cost me $200-$250 out of pocket after the CZ sale. I think this option would be a good complement to my M1911 as well.

Jellybean
06-10-12, 00:33
Option 1: Is an identical M&P to what I own, which is a stock M&P 9 with night sights and NMS. If I go with this option I will purchase 2-3 additional magazines. This is the cheapest option and with the funds from my CZ I will only spend between $50-$100 out of pocket. With this option I will have two exactly identical pistols with 7-8 magazines between them. I thought of possibly having the APEX DCAEK done to this option but I'm unsure if I want a 5lb trigger pull on a pistol without an external safety.....

If I'm reading this right-
I wouldn't worry to much about the DCAEK- I had the same :fie: over it when I was reasearching the purchase of my M&P9 Compact.
It is NOT a super light trigger pull- I do not own a trigger gauge (or whatever they're called) so I can't tell for sure, but to me it feels about the same as a Glock- maybe even just a tad heavier.
Not to be an ass, but it is called a "DUTY CARRY action enhancement kit" after all- I seriously doubt APEX would risk the lawsuits by putting out a kit with a pull weight unsuitable for duty (take that with a grain of salt- I'm no expert on this).

If you really are having a problem deciding, if I recall correctly, you can get the APEX DCAEK kit installed in your gun and still have a mech. safety. If the trigger pull is satisfactory to the point where you do not feel the need for the safety (or the mechanical safety eventually just annoys the hell out of you...:p), I believe it can be removed and replaced with a plug or some such.

OldState
06-10-12, 06:52
If you really are having a problem deciding, if I recall correctly, you can get the APEX DCAEK kit installed in your gun and still have a mech. safety. If the trigger pull is satisfactory to the point where you do not feel the need for the safety (or the mechanical safety eventually just annoys the hell out of you...:p), I believe it can be removed and replaced with a plug or some such.

Correct. The safety is easily removed or you do not need to use it. If your looking at the Apex FSS than I would worry about not having one, but many, many people run a DCAEK sans safety.

If you are leaning 45, I will again recommend you look at the compact over the mid as it allows you more versatility. You can use 8 or 10 round mags with x grip if you need the abilty for deeper concealment. I believe Smith is offering a version of their 9c withe x grips from the factory. The extra .5" of slide length on the FS make no difference from a concealment point. A shorter grip would.

http://www.topgunsupply.com/x-grip-smith-wesson-m-p45c-.45.html

Up1911fan
06-10-12, 20:58
I like the 9FS and prefer the 45c to the midsize. I wish S&W would make a 9/40 the same size as the 45c. Direct G19/23 competition.