PDA

View Full Version : Lube question

TexasSolo
05-31-12, 13:17
I hear/read many threads on various forums about the use of Mobil 1 as a lubricant. My normal routine after cleaning is to hose down the entire BCG with CLP and reinstall. Easy enough with the aerosol product. But this technique doesn't seem to last very long, especially if my rifle is stored for a month or so before being shot again.
I'd like to know the technique everyone uses for lubing with a can of motor oil and also what weight Mobil 1 should be used. Is it possible to use too much, or in the wrong place? Advice welcomed, thanks.

davidjinks
05-31-12, 13:22
It's going to be a lot easier for you to use the search feature here on M4C in regards to this question. This has definitely been talked about many times. There are also stickies you can reference in regards to the OP.

TexasSolo
05-31-12, 14:10
Gee, why didn't I think of that? Oh yeah, I did.

While there are numerous threads on the topic of lubrication, technique for lubing was not found. Do you dip the assembled BCG into a quart can, use your fingers, or possibly an old paint brush?
I found exactly ONE comment from someone who mentioned he uses 20W Mobil 1, with no other discussions on oil weight.

"I'd like to know the technique everyone uses for lubing with a can of motor oil and also what weight Mobil 1 should be used.

Sorry if what I thought was a specific question was such a burden to you.

plouffedaddy
05-31-12, 14:38
I use good old CLP but the same technique would apply to motor oil. I just lube it with my fingers, insert it into the bolt carrier a few times to get lubrication in there, then lube the bolt with my fingers again. Works for me and I don't have any unusual wear patterns/failures so I think it's working just fine.

TomMcC
05-31-12, 15:47
I use Mobil1 5W30 most of the time because that's what goes in my cars. In the really hot months I use 15W50. I usually don a nitrile glove and put a light, but wet coat on the forward part of the BCG, ultra light coat on the back half. You really don't need a lot of oil back there mucking up the buffer tube. I use my finger to put a light coat in the receiver. I use a q-tip to smear a good coat on the inside of the BCG. I put a drop or 2 in the gas key, and a good coat on the back of the locking lugs. This is the technique I use for whatever lube I'm using. I do transfer the lube to smaller bottles which have flip up spouts or needle spouts. I don't dip parts in oil bottles. If this isn't what your looking for, just ignore me.

Jaysop
05-31-12, 16:05
I've used 10w-30 on machine guns that require A LOT of lube and get seriously hot.
I've used it on my rifle and all it did was stink, stain, and make it a bitch to clean in comparison to other options out there. If your not dumping a quarter quart at a time spend the $ on a quality gun lube that will do just as good or better. I like slip2000 personally. I'd like it to be a little thinker though. It's nice because I can soak my uppers and my lowers don't get gunked up like the 10w-30 did.

htomeheb
05-31-12, 16:09
I've used 10w-30 on machine guns that require A LOT of lube and get seriously hot.
I've used it on my rifle and all it did was stink, stain, and make it a bitch to clean in comparison to other options out there. If your not dumping a quarter quart at a time spend the $ on a quality gun lube that will do just as good or better. I like slip2000 personally. I'd like it to be a little thinker though. It's nice because I can soak my uppers and my lowers don't get gunked up like the 10w-30 did.

I agree.

Motor oil works, its cheap, plentiful, but you're really not using 5 quarts at a time, so why not use actual gun lube?

Slip 2000 EWL is great. EWL-30 is thicker and stays put better, if you're into that kinda thing.

Jaysop
05-31-12, 16:13
I agree.

Motor oil works, its cheap, plentiful, but you're really not using 5 quarts at a time, so why not use actual gun lube?

Slip 2000 EWL is great. EWL-30 is thicker and stays put better, if you're into that kinda thing.

Is that the grease one? I'd not I'll have to look into it. I haven't feed into the frog lube craze but I would like a lube that stays where I put it and doesn't evaporate after a few days.
When it gets hot it still get wet but not how I left it.

Univibe
05-31-12, 16:32
Technique:

Breakfree LP generously on Bolt lugs, bolt body, cam pin area, gas rings.

Breakfree CLP lightly on the firing pin and everywhere else.