PDA

View Full Version : Help me find a good stripped upper.

kwelz
05-31-12, 19:32
This may belong more in the Custom build forum, if so please feel free to move it.

I have a Gen 2 Noveske Lower I am using in a build. I also have a 10.3 inch barrel, a 9 inch troy Alpha rail, and a bolt.

I am looking for an upper that is outside the norm. Right now I am leaning towards a VLTOR MUR upper. However I want to see what other options there are out there before I pull the trigger.

Iraqgunz
05-31-12, 20:09
I like the Vltor MUR and use them often on my builds and for others.

This may belong more in the Custom build forum, if so please feel free to move it.

I have a Gen 2 Noveske Lower I am using in a build. I also have a 10.3 inch barrel, a 9 inch troy Alpha rail, and a bolt.

I am looking for an upper that is outside the norm. Right now I am leaning towards a VLTOR MIR upper. However I want to see what other options there are out there before I pull the trigger.

WFO
05-31-12, 22:57
Aero Precision makes a nice monolithic upper too.

bp7178
05-31-12, 23:03
The Vltor MUR is an amazing piece of hardware.

SomeOtherGuy
05-31-12, 23:13
I have a Noveske gen2 "Chainsaw" and it is frustrating, as it has about the least compatibility with my uppers as any lower I've ever tried. Here's the quick rundown:

VLTOR MUR - will NOT fit even with some pounding, not willing to start machining things or use a 5lb sledge

Daniel Defense (3 uppers) - will fit two of them with pounding, doesn't fit the third. Very disappointed in this incompatibility. These are compatible with every single other lower I own, with no pounding.

PSA - doesn't fit at all

DSA - fits perfectly (both pins push in and out with only moderate finger pressure)

Spike's Tactical - fits perfectly

This is a sample size of 1, admittedly.

And, on the flip side, the VLTOR MUR is a difficult fit with most of my lowers. It works great with a Charles Daly Defense (long out of production) or with the latest MEGA billet (GTR-3S). Most others require pounding the pins in and out, at least so far. I've read others on here talking about the MUR being a tight or difficult fit with their lowers. Also was unable to get a Troy TRX-Extreme barrel nut to fit on its threads, even though a Daniel Defense nut fit fine and the TRX-Extreme nut fit fine on a Spike's standard upper I had lying around. Other than the tight fit / compatibility issues, which is kind of a big deal, the MUR seems like a great product.

IMHO the best balance of quality and compatibility seems to be with MEGA products. I also have an Aero Precision monolithic still sitting in its box awaiting assembly, but it has been easily compatible with the few lowers I've tried it with (two MEGA).

Jester67CA
06-01-12, 03:43
VLTOR MUR-1S (Non-Forward Assist model)

http://www.vltor.com/images/mur/mur6-Lg.jpg

Most nonstandard uppers are machined from billets. The MUR is machined from forgings and is stiffer and lighter than the billet uppers. It is also machined beautifully and has neat and true tolerances.

I prefer the version without the forward assist. It frees up a bit of space on the side for easier left side charging. It's rare to find someone who has ever needed to use the forward assist.

I cannot speak for SomeOtherGuy's experiences. I've never worked with a Gen2 Noveske Lower, but I've seen plenty of VLTOR MUR's mounted to those lowers on picture threads. In all likelihood, you should be fine.

Check out the Military Morons AR15 Upper Page for more options...
http://www.militarymorons.com/weapons/ar.uppers.html

Markasaurus
06-01-12, 07:45
Can't go wrong with Stag. Chances are your upper will actually fit, if it doesn't the customer service is good.

SA80Dan
06-01-12, 09:11
Last year I put a rifle together for a friend using one of these Rainier Arms Ultramatch Billet uppers:

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=1611

It was very nice, similarly priced to the MUR. Personally, if I was to put a rifle together for myself using an "outside the norm" upper, it'd be a toss up between these two.

You might also consider the Larue Stealth upper, which by all accounts are also great quality - but to me they just don't look different enough to warrant spending $249, when you can buy either of the above two for $180 or so.