PDA

View Full Version : Craft Beer roundup.

duece71
05-31-12, 20:48
All,
I love craft beer and am always on the hunt for a new craft brew to try out. I am looking for all of your suggestions, coast to coast and if you want to throw in an international "obscurity" have at it. (yes, I know what Heineken is)
Thank you for the replies.

MeanRider
05-31-12, 20:59
http://www.dasbierhaus-wi.com/

Just a wonderful, wonderful spot to go.

sjc3081
05-31-12, 21:11
Midnight Sun Brewing Company
Monks Mistress Belgium Ale dark strong Ale 11.5% alcohol
$10 for a 22oz bottle and worth every penny
http://midnightsunbrewing.com/

sjc3081
05-31-12, 21:20
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/39/131
This is great also

OldState
05-31-12, 21:25
Rodenbach Grand Cru. An acquired taste for some. Very unique Belgian red ale.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/216/673

I've been into craft beer since the early 90's and have tried hundreds of beers. I was even a brewer in a brewpub in PA from '97 to 2000 where we won a Silver Medal in the 1998 GABF for a rauchbier.

This is hands down the best beer I have ever had in my life. I can only find it at Wegmans in PA and have one every Friday night.

The craft beer scene has become over crowded with too many copy cat beers; mostly over hopped and high in alcohol with cute names. I have found a new appreciation for the classics.

Sam Adams Boston ALE is such a classic and is the real jewel of their line up. Anchor Liberty Ale is also outstanding when fresh. Of course Sierra Nevada Pale Ale; all cascade hops and a true American classic.

If you can get Pilsner Urquell in a can, it is noticeably fresher tasting.

All that being said, I drink a lot of Guinness which may be close to the perfect beer. If it is fresh is will have a nice chocolate toasty undertone.

J_Dub_503
05-31-12, 22:09
I live in Oregon which many consider the craft mecca of the country (if not the world). Portland has somewhere around 45 breweries which is more than any other city in the world. I could keep rambling but I'll just link you the wiki page here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oregon_beer).

While I don't drink beer, Here are some breweries I can recommend based off my peers taste buds.
Widmer Brothers Brewery (http://widmerbrothers.com/)
-Widmer Hefeweizen

McMenamins (http://www.mcmenamins.com/)
-Hammerhead

Rogue Ales (http://rogue.com/)
-Dead Guy Ale

Joeywhat
05-31-12, 22:29
Michigan has a great micro brew selection as well.

I'd start listing them but there are a TON of great ones, and even more good ones.

You should be able to find Bell's around pretty much everywhere. Their Amber Ale is quite delicious, and their Two Hearted Ale is also great.

Dark Horse Crooked Tree IPA is nice, and Founder's Centennial IPA is a nice, classic IPA.

lifebreath
05-31-12, 23:40
Where to start?!? So many great bears out there today. A few of my favorites:

Founders Breakfast Stout, Founders Porter, Founders Dirty Bastard

Rasputin Imperial Stout

Stone IPA, Stone Arrogant Bastard, Stone Smoked Porter

Schlafly Reserve Bourbon Barrel Ale

Bells Amber Ale

Two Brothers Domain DuPage

And a bunch of others!

duece71
06-01-12, 05:47
All,
Many many thanks for the suggestions, this was exactly what I was looking for. That place in Menomonie looks awesome! A boot of beer??!! And I thought drinking beer out of my shoe was the cats peejays. Keep 'em coming.

duece71
06-01-12, 05:50

I'd start listing them but there are a TON of great ones, and even more good ones.

You should be able to find Bell's around pretty much everywhere. Their Amber Ale is quite delicious, and their Two Hearted Ale is also great.

Dark Horse Crooked Tree IPA is nice, and Founder's Centennial IPA is a nice, classic IPA.

Absolutely agree with you here. Michigan has some great craft brews. Ever heard of Shorts brewery? The "lupalicious" IPA is incredible. Very piney with a grapefruit kick.

Icculus
06-01-12, 11:23

Yeah you Michigan guys up in Grand Rapids tried to steal our title this year.:p For 4 years running Asheville has won or tied for first in the Beer City USA competition. Lots of great small breweries here in western NC.

They've definitely gotten bigger, spread out and can be found in more places now but the Highland beers are excellent and you should give them a try.

http://www.highlandbrewing.com/

My personal fave is the Oatmeal Porter. The Cold Mtn Winter Ale is great too but its only seasonal.

5pins
06-01-12, 11:39
My favorites are all from the Pacific North West.

Mack and Jacks African Amber. You can only get it on tap.

Red Hook ESB. This is my favorite in a bottle.

I wish I could find a better selection in this area. Everyone around here thinks Shiner Bock is great, I tried it and it’s not even close.

THCDDM4
06-01-12, 12:16
Just treid the He'brew (Smaltz Brewing Company) Funky Jubilation (A blend of 6 ales aged in rye and bourbon barrerls; YUM!) the other day and it was magnificent. I highly recomend anyone that likes barrel aged brew to try it; it is a special spring 2012 release- so get it quick before it is gone.

Anyone in the Fort Collins, CO area that has yet to try Coopersmiths "Hanjabi" (A hand drawn real ale version of their Punjabi IPA) needs to do so; it is a great brew to be enjoyed with hot wings and good friends.

Pints pubs real ales are hard to beat; the lancer IPA, and the Darkstar strong ale are both awesome offerings. They have quite the Whiskey selection as well (Largest commercial collection outside of Great Britain, and the rarest commercial collection in the world).

Her are some more Colorado locals to try:
Avery Brewing - Lilikoi Kepolo
Breckenridge Brewery - Well Built ESB
CAUTION: Brewing - Hippity Hops Chrysanthemum IPA
Copper Kettle Brewing - Double Black IPA
Dry Dock Brewing - Dry-Hopped Nautilus Red
Pateros Creek Brewing - Franklinstein - 4-pepper rye pale ale
Yak & Yeti - Oatmeal Cookie Stout
Upslope Brewing - Belgian Dark Strong Ale - barrel aged
Steamworks Brewing - Faceplant Ale
Ska Brewing - Declaration of Beer Independence Barleywine
River North Brewery - Quandary - Belgian-style Quad

Oh and by the way, COLORADO is the real BEER MECCA. GABF, more breweries/beer per capita than anywhere else in the world, AHA & ABA here in The peoples communist city of Boulder, Vails big beers belgians and barleywines festival, Boulder Sour ale Fest, Boulder Strong ale fest; and the list could go on and on...

I would agree Oregon is a great beer state and would take second place fairly easily.

There are more homebrew supply shops here than in California or any other state; that is a serious statement to how passionate and commited we are to our brewing here in CO!

Any given night of the week there are several food/beer pairings happening all over the state, and did I mention GABF is here; the biggest beer competition and festival in the world; with more beer under one roof than anywhere ever; they break the record every year, it is incredible and every beer enthusiast should make the trip out here for Beer Week when GABF goes on; along with thousands of other beer events; what a week it is.

I love beer & Colorado if you couldn't tell. And I am seriously thristy for some frothy goodness right now.

Slainte!

P2000
06-01-12, 12:23
My two favorite store bought IPAs are Hop Knot by Four Peaks, and Big Swell by Maui Brewing Co. I recently had a pint of a black IPA at Mother Road brewing in Flagstaff which was excellent, but they don't sell in stores.

JBecker 72
06-01-12, 12:39
http://russianriverbrewing.com/

Pliney the Elder and Blind Pig are my two favorite beers from there.

duece71
06-01-12, 13:27
Also, here is one that is kind of obscure but oh man is it good.
Kentucky Bourbon Ale........don't walk....run to find it.

http://www.kentuckyale.com/beer/Pages/KentuckyBourbonBarrelAle.aspx

Belmont31R
06-01-12, 15:23
I would check out local breweries. We have one here but they don't sell it anywhere but local bars so you have to go out to buy it. Theres a few more like that here.

Far and away my favorite craft brew which is sold in most places is sierra nevada. I have the mirror with the logo on the wall, glasses, towels, ect. I love the regular IPA and even moreso the Torpedo. But these types of things are so subjective its really hard to recommend beers to people. The best way is to just pick a different (or a few) a week and try them. Theres a flavor profile I like which SN has down good which is the piney wood flavor with a very minute amount of sweetness. I can't stand sweet beers and like them "dry". I don't like sweet prosecco, either, or anything but really dry wines. Not much of a hard alc fan but can do mixed drinks.

Since SN is sold in so many places Id give that brand a try. They have several other beers besides IPA's. The summerfest is more of a Heineken type beer being a pilsner. They also have a Hefeweizen type beer which is the Kellerweis label. They do make a porter and a stout. You won't typically find the last two except in specialty stores.

A couple other brands Ive had ok luck with regarding my own personal taste is full sail and things like the Ranger IPA.

polymorpheous
06-01-12, 16:13
Wisconsin:

New Glarus Brewery, Fat Squirrel (nut brown ale)
Lakefront Brewery, Riverwest Stein (amber lager)
Central Waters Brewery, Mudpuppy Porter (porter)

New Glarus is the king of microbrews here in Wisconsin.
Spotted Cow being their most popular.
They also brew a multiple award winning Belgium Red.

If ever in Milwaukee, take the Lakefront Brewery tour.
They have a Friday night fish fry also.

LHS
06-01-12, 18:00
I'm a huge craft beer fan. Fortunately, here in Phoenix we have some great microbreweries.

Four Peaks (http://www.fourpeaks.com) in Tempe, AZ, is among my favorites. Their Kiltlifter Scottish ale is the benchmark for me. Malty, rich, and delicious. Their oatmeal stout is pretty fine as well. Every fall, they make a pumpkin porter that is simply the best. It's so good, they blend it with ice cream and make a milkshake out of it. It sounds disgusting, but everyone I know who's tried it has asked for a second. I really enjoy their hefeweizen as well.

Papago Brewing (http://papagobrewing.com/) in Scottsdale is another great one. They always have a wide and random selection of draft beers on tap, both their own and others from around the world. Their "Orange Blossom" is a great summertime beer. It's a mandarin orange cream hefeweizen, perfect on a hot day. They also make a coconut coffee stout, an Irish coffee stout, and a strong black ale.

An old favorite of mine is Skullsplitter ale, from the Orkney islands north of Scotland. It's pricey and hard to find, but worth it. It's kind of a heavy ale, almost a barleywine, but without that barleywine aftertaste/tang that I hate.

polydeuces
06-01-12, 18:36
Aaaah...beer...

Not exactly a craft, not domestic, but the gold standard, period: Pisner Urquell, hands down the godfather and mother of all........Pilsners...get it?

Yep...Rodenbach, or for that matter, any Flemish Sour ale, a bit of an acquired taste, if you don't dislike it immediately, chances are you'll end up becoming a joneser.
And if that really is up your alley I stronly recommend one of the only real Gueuze available in the US, like Cuvee Rene from Lindemans.

Or for that matter, any Belgian you can get your paws on will be an semi psychedelic adventure in beer;
Where Ze Germans are typically tight about their beers (and God bless them - it is AWESOME!!!!), the Belgians are pretty much the polar opposite:
They'll throw banana's, carmelized sugar, horse-blankets, whatever grains they happen have around, some stale hops with some fresh off the vine cook it for however long, pitch some hard-core high proof fermenting yeast, lager for 5 years, mix it with some younger fresh brew and VOILA...you gats yoselves a "SPECIALE"......totally nuts!!!

Like, when it's bad, it's really bad, but when it's good....it will be a enlightened transcendental experience. Guaranteed.

But that's all Euro-trash....

One of the best (IMHO...) domestic brewers is Sierra Nevada, and fair to say somewhat under-appreciated, but apparently starting to catch on.
These guys bottle "On Yeast" (op leest) meaning at the time of bottling the un-carbonated beer getting bottled receives a small "squirt" of active yeast, resulting in naturally carbonated and bottle conditioned beer, just like champagne.....
This type of bottling results in beer that can be lagered indefinitely - the taste will actually improve with age. Also, it gives it those nice and crisp bubbles.
As opposed to force-carbonation which is quick and easy, this takes a bit more time, but the result is something to appreciate.
Hence it being a touch more costly but oh so worth it.
Two staples in my fridge:Urquell and Sierra Nevada.

Another domestic brewer not (yet) getting the appreciation they deserve is Gordon Biersch. Also producing bottle conditioned beers. Their take on "Kolsch" is an AbSoLute must....if you can find it.

As a rule when i find a beer "on yeast" there's no question I'm looking at a potential winner.
And one of these days there will be a US brewer that can make a true Pilsner. Perhaps...

In general the trend on the shelves seems to be for catchy names and hipster labels. Beware, most of those are owned and produced by the Big Boys (AB, etc.).
The novelty wears off rather fast when tasting these bland homogenized SamAdams clone type beers - which nevertheless is a big step up from the sad excuse for "beer" as has been produced donestically for so long,
Doing a bit of homework will enable you to filter out the riff-raff and hone in on those that matter.

duece71
06-02-12, 20:56
Aaaah...beer...

Not exactly a craft, not domestic, but the gold standard, period: Pisner Urquell, hands down the godfather and mother of all........Pilsners...get it?

Yep...Rodenbach, or for that matter, any Flemish Sour ale, a bit of an acquired taste, if you don't dislike it immediately, chances are you'll end up becoming a joneser.
And if that really is up your alley I stronly recommend one of the only real Gueuze available in the US, like Cuvee Rene from Lindemans.

Or for that matter, any Belgian you can get your paws on will be an semi psychedelic adventure in beer;
Where Ze Germans are typically tight about their beers (and God bless them - it is AWESOME!!!!), the Belgians are pretty much the polar opposite:
They'll throw banana's, carmelized sugar, horse-blankets, whatever grains they happen have around, some stale hops with some fresh off the vine cook it for however long, pitch some hard-core high proof fermenting yeast, lager for 5 years, mix it with some younger fresh brew and VOILA...you gats yoselves a "SPECIALE"......totally nuts!!!

Like, when it's bad, it's really bad, but when it's good....it will be a enlightened transcendental experience. Guaranteed.

But that's all Euro-trash....

One of the best (IMHO...) domestic brewers is Sierra Nevada, and fair to say somewhat under-appreciated, but apparently starting to catch on.
These guys bottle "On Yeast" (op leest) meaning at the time of bottling the un-carbonated beer getting bottled receives a small "squirt" of active yeast, resulting in naturally carbonated and bottle conditioned beer, just like champagne.....
This type of bottling results in beer that can be lagered indefinitely - the taste will actually improve with age. Also, it gives it those nice and crisp bubbles.
As opposed to force-carbonation which is quick and easy, this takes a bit more time, but the result is something to appreciate.
Hence it being a touch more costly but oh so worth it.
Two staples in my fridge:Urquell and Sierra Nevada.

Another domestic brewer not (yet) getting the appreciation they deserve is Gordon Biersch. Also producing bottle conditioned beers. Their take on "Kolsch" is an AbSoLute must....if you can find it.

As a rule when i find a beer "on yeast" there's no question I'm looking at a potential winner.
And one of these days there will be a US brewer that can make a true Pilsner. Perhaps...

In general the trend on the shelves seems to be for catchy names and hipster labels. Beware, most of those are owned and produced by the Big Boys (AB, etc.).
The novelty wears off rather fast when tasting these bland homogenized SamAdams clone type beers - which nevertheless is a big step up from the sad excuse for "beer" as has been produced donestically for so long,
Doing a bit of homework will enable you to filter out the riff-raff and hone in on those that matter.

Pilsner Urquell and Stella Artois are not my fancy. Taste seems kind of off to me. I wont say stale, just not to my taste.
THE Belgian that I have had and like very much is Delirium Tremens. It comes in a greyed out bottle and has a purple foil on top that covers a cork. Very delicious (and powerful due to a high Abv) and it also comes in a "Nocturnum" or dark variety which I have not had.
I agree with you on Sierra Nevada, excellent brew and there take on the IPA, the Torpedo, is really incredible. I like the pine/grapefruit taste of the IPA and Torpedo is very satisfying for that.

duece71
06-02-12, 20:58
Polydueces,
If you like a good pilsner, you should try Victory brewing (Pennsylvania) and their "Prima Pils". It is very good.

Icculus
06-02-12, 22:25
I'm not a big fan of many of the European beers. Something nasty happens to them on their trip across the ocean. For example Heineken in Amsterdam, pretty dang good. Heineken in the US; the nastiest piss water I've ever put in my mouth.

Sierra Nevada is good but after a couple it leaves a weird after taste in my mouth. For you Sierra fans, soon some of their beer will be brewed here in Western NC

http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/sierra-nevada-announces-head-brewer-scott-jennings-for-north-carolina-brewery.20180/

ETA: on the pilsner topic while I know it will sound like sacrilege I was a big fan I've the Sam Adams Golden Pilsner. I havent seen it in years though. And while they are huge and everywhere now the original Sam Adams is still one of my faves.

polymorpheous
06-03-12, 07:23
I'm not a big fan of many of the European beers. Something nasty happens to them on their trip across the ocean. For example Heineken in Amsterdam, pretty dang good. Heineken in the US; the nastiest piss water I've ever put in my mouth.

Agreed.
110%

austinN4
06-03-12, 08:39
Moose Drool Brown Ale

http://beer.about.com/od/beerandbreweryreviews/gr/moosedrool.htm

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/751/2296

theblackknight
06-03-12, 09:56
Had some of this at a local brewers supply store.Gah!

http://hoptions.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/sierra-nevada-hoptimum.jpg

OldState
06-03-12, 12:08

I think this is a problem mostly with Pilsners/Lagers as the lighter style and popularity of green bottles do not help with longevity. This is why I suggested Pilsner Urquell in the can. Although, with this brand, the bottled beer is usually OK. The lighter flavored pilsners like Heineken or Stella seem to always be effected. I personally don't care for either as I see them as the Miller and Bud of Continental Europe.

I have not been able to ever verify this, but when I was in the industry, I was once told by some brewers of a very large American brewery that at one time Heineken briefly exposed their beer to UV light by passing it through a section of glass pipe during the packaging process.

The idea was that Americans, in the 1980's, had become so used to "skunked" imports that they thought it was part of the flavor profile and expected it. It seemed ridiculous to me but would explain a lot.

In any event, I think it is sad that they can't get this right while some others can.

American beer is not immune. Just taste a Yuengling at the brewery and one at a any bar, even local ones. It goes from palatable to swill very quickly.

Trajan
06-03-12, 13:32
Most of the stuff Great Lakes puts out is pretty good, and its what I normally drink. The Edmund Fitzgerald porter, Oktoberfest, and Conway's Irish red are their best IMO.

As far as IPAs go, this was the best one I've ever had: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/14952/78559

skyugo
06-03-12, 13:38
Odell's 90 shilling and cutthroat porter are two of my standards.

grimm brothers out of loveland (available pretty much only in northern CO) is also amazing. they won a gold medal i believe at the great american beer fest for their little red cap. fearless youth is my favorite though...

also a big fan of dogfish head's chicory stout when i can find it.

LHS
06-04-12, 01:48
Most of the stuff Great Lakes puts out is pretty good, and its what I normally drink. The Edmund Fitzgerald porter, Oktoberfest, and Conway's Irish red are their best IMO.

As far as IPAs go, this was the best one I've ever had: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/14952/78559

I always try to find Edmund Fitzgerald when I'm in that area. A great dark beer.

Belmont31R
06-08-12, 18:51
Id also like to add to try a bottle of the (blue) Chimay, and cook a nicely marbled steak (prefer prime) and do minimal seasoning.

What I actually like to do is get a few prime new yorks, and set them out a few hours before grilling. I trim the larger peices of fat off. Im just not a fan of that thicker fat getting cooked and becoming chewey. Do I light salt rub and some black pepper about 30m before grilling. The meat should be room temp when it goes on the grill. Don't ever put a cold steak on a grill.

Anyways just always thought Chimay with a good steak is a perfect pairing. You don't need steak sauce or anything. Im not a huge "RARE" meat fan but with a prime you can do med and it will still be more tender than any choice/select grade meat.

And glad to see another Sierra Nevada fan. They have several different types, and although I have my preferred IPA's or the Chimay type stuff all their blends are very tasty and not the usual piss beer Americans are known for.

TangoSauce
06-08-12, 23:46
Midwest
---------
Upland
Bell's

LHS
06-08-12, 23:57
Midwest
---------
Upland
Bell's

Upland's hefeweizen is epic

hatt
06-10-12, 18:05
Cigar City Brewing
Bells - have to try Hopslam

LHS
10-09-12, 21:01
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/208170_515569608472096_76992729_n.jpg

Four Peaks' Pumpkin Porter is now on tap. Let the deliciousness begin.

lethal dose
10-09-12, 21:11
Like hops? I mean... HOPS? Dale's Pale Ale.

Ned Christiansen
10-09-12, 23:07
We all remember our "first", right? Michiganders are loyal to Bell's..... not just because it's good stuff but becaue it's a good company, a cool place, and..... they were doing it long before the term "microbrewery" was coined, or widely known at least.

I remember hearing about Bell's 25 years ago..... a friend was driving up there (25 mi) to get it. I didn't understand why a guy would make the drive to get something that wasn't even made in a proper factory when you could get all the regular brands right here in town!

Happy to report that I was soon thereafter a convert to good beer.

Have a look for Bell's Oberon, it's seasonal and the season is over so it's getting kinda precious where people know how good it is.

LHS
10-10-12, 00:08
We all remember our "first", right? Michiganders are loyal to Bell's..... not just because it's good stuff but becaue it's a good company, a cool place, and..... they were doing it long before the term "microbrewery" was coined, or widely known at least.

I remember hearing about Bell's 25 years ago..... a friend was driving up there (25 mi) to get it. I didn't understand why a guy would make the drive to get something that wasn't even made in a proper factory when you could get all the regular brands right here in town!

Happy to report that I was soon thereafter a convert to good beer.

Have a look for Bell's Oberon, it's seasonal and the season is over so it's getting kinda precious where people know how good it is.

I haven't tried Bell's Oberon, but a good beer that should be available in your neck of the woods is Edmund Fitzgerald Porter, by Great Lakes Brewing in Cleveland.

AKDoug
10-10-12, 00:18
We are lucky in Alaska to have some fine brewers like my home town Denali Brewing http://denalibrewingcompany.com/. It's a pleasure having a hometown brewery that makes a variety of beers.

M4Fundi
10-10-12, 01:39
These are all lekker beers and if any of them were the last thing I tasted on this earth it would be all good;)

Mitchells Brewery's Bosun's Bitter near Knysna, South Africa
http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/mitchells-cape-town-until-2007-bosuns-best-bitter/11530/

Castle Milk Stout in South Africa
http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/castle-milk-stout/7513/

König Pilsner Germany
http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/konig-pilsener-germany/4026/

Hop Stoopid- Lagunitas (don't let the name scare you it is a beautiful floral ale)
http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/lagunitas-hop-stoopid/119376/

MacTarnahans Blackwatch Cream Porter (extremely hard to find)
http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/mactarnahans-blackwatch-cream-porter/7494/

Flowers Best Bitter (Keg) (I learned to drink proper beer hand drawn in Wales and this was it)
http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/flowers-best-bitter-
keg/71315/

Franziskaner Hefe-Weissbier (pour till half an inch left in bottom then swirl bottom of bottle to pick up the settled yeast and then pour on top of beer for a creamy head)
http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/franziskaner-hefe-weissbier/1088/

Shiner Bock (screw the rating this stuff is great)
http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/shiner-bock/909/

Pecan Street Brewing County Jail Pale Ale
http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/pecan-street-brewing-county-jail-pale-ale/149464/

Wells Bombardier (Pasteurised)
http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/wells-bombardier-pasteurised/4463/

Beamish Irish Stout
http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/beamish-irish-stout/1/

Guinness Draught
http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/guinness-draught/1267/

Boddingtons Pub Ale (Can) (Vanilla Guinness ;-)
http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/boddingtons-pub-ale-can/690/

Real Ale Firemans #4
http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/real-ale-firemans-4/18528/

yellowfin
10-10-12, 12:19
For the wife and me, it's usually Abita or Shiner most of the time which produce several excellent beers each.