PDA

View Full Version : Overgassed all of a sudden?

vigilant2
05-31-12, 21:12
Hey guys , would like some input.
I have a Charles Daly CDDM4LE from back in 2008. Has been through 2 classes Magpul and Bushido Tactical 2 day classes without problems. It has approx 3200 rounds through it and has sat quietly for about 2yrs now as I have primarily been shooting either of my Colt 6920's. Well I picked up an Aimpoint mounted it on my CDD headed out to zero. I noticed (and it was pointed out to me ) the ejection pattern . It was constantly ejecting 1:30 to 3:00 strongly.
In previous use it was 3:30-5:30. There were no malfunctions , I was shooting XM193 (Brown Box).
Does this sound like a weakened/worn buffer spring? Using the factory H-buffer.

Thanks for input.

C4IGrant
05-31-12, 21:13
Hey guys , would like some input.
I have a Charles Daly CDDM4LE from back in 2008. Has been through 2 classes Magpul and Bushido Tactical 2 day classes without problems. It has approx 3200 rounds through it and has sat quietly for about 2yrs now as I have primarily been shooting either of my Colt 6920's. Well I picked up an Aimpoint mounted it on my CDD headed out to zero. I noticed (and it was pointed out to me ) the ejection pattern . It was constantly ejecting 1:30 to 3:00 strongly.
In previous use it was 3:30-5:30. There were no malfunctions , I was shooting XM193 (Brown Box).
Does this sound like a weakened/worn buffer spring? Using the factory H-buffer.

Thanks for input.

If you haven't changed your buffer spring out yet, that is most likely it.

C4

vigilant2
05-31-12, 21:26
Thanks Grant . Thanks on the Aimpoint C3 also.
Have any replacement springs or upgrades in stock?:D

Iraqgunz
05-31-12, 22:26
Are you using the same lot of ammo and same type? All ammo can behave differently even the same type and manufacture.

My first thought would be to get a bolt ejector tool, remove the ejector and check the spring. I would replace it (same spring as the selector lever) and then see what happens.

I also wouldn't be fixated on ejection patterns as long as it isn't malfunctioning.

vigilant2
05-31-12, 22:56
Roger that! Will do so also. I've run XM193 through this gun before, always brown box ,but definetely not the same lot. I purchased this stuff a couple months ago. It ejects consistently at 4:00 out of both
my Colt 6920's. No malfunctions, after I got a good zero I was really
running it ( CDM4LE)hard.
Until I get a malfunction I won't lose sleep, but still would like to see "normal" ejection pattern. Have a one day carbine class Saturday and plan to run it, will have my 6920 in the wings.
Thanks.

vigilant2
06-16-12, 20:21
Ok, I ran the carbine through the class no problems. 575 rounds, ejection continues about 70% 1:00-2:30 strongly , the rest around 3:00-3:30. As the carbine is rattle-canned the edge of the deflector has a lot of wear from brass hitting it. Ammo is XM193 brown box.
I know folks here whose opinion I value strongly say not to put too much into ejection patterns as long as the weapon runs. Still, subconciously its bothering me.
Today after work I went to the range and shot some more. First I shot more XM193 same ejection pattern 1-2:30. Then I ran some PMC .223 , same pattern , no change.
My friend brought out his spare BCG , we swapped out , ejection was now at 12:30-1:30 (I've never seen that before), this was an attempt to rule out ejector spring tension. Again this is back to XM193. We then swapped out lowers with his Vltor A5 unit/Geiselle trigger group. Ejection then went back to 1:30-2:30.
We are both at a total loss at this point. Gas tube erosion? Carbine now has around 4000 rnds no malfs, but the ejection and results from both the ammo change and lower changes really has me perplexed as we could'nt create a difference in ejection pattern.
Baffled !:(

!Nvasi0n
06-16-12, 20:43
I wouldn't lose sleep either until it malfunctioned. If it's a defensive carbine/go to rifle, the I'd replace all the operating springs. It probably ain't the gas tube, but rather an eroded gas port.

I'm like you and like my gear to function perfectly. You could always take the gas block off and measure and inspect the port size. That will probably tell you what you need to know

SA80Dan
06-16-12, 20:45
Are you using the same lot of ammo and same type? All ammo can behave differently even the same type and manufacture.

My first thought would be to get a bolt ejector tool, remove the ejector and check the spring. I would replace it (same spring as the selector lever) and then see what happens.

I also wouldn't be fixated on ejection patterns as long as it isn't malfunctioning.

My first thought too. I had the very same thing start happening on a rifle with about 6k rounds through...ejection at about 1 O'clock. Noticed the ejector was easily depressed with a fingernail. Pulled it to have a look...the spring was broken in two places. New spring in, problem solved.

SA80Dan
06-16-12, 20:50
Ok, I ran the carbine through the class no problems. 575 rounds, ejection continues about 70% 1:00-2:30 strongly , the rest around 3:00-3:30. As the carbine is rattle-canned the edge of the deflector has a lot of wear from brass hitting it. Ammo is XM193 brown box.
I know folks here whose opinion I value strongly say not to put too much into ejection patterns as long as the weapon runs. Still, subconciously its bothering me.
Today after work I went to the range and shot some more. First I shot more XM193 same ejection pattern 1-2:30. Then I ran some PMC .223 , same pattern , no change.
My friend brought out his spare BCG , we swapped out , ejection was now at 12:30-1:30 (I've never seen that before), this was an attempt to rule out ejector spring tension. Again this is back to XM193. We then swapped out lowers with his Vltor A5 unit/Geiselle trigger group. Ejection then went back to 1:30-2:30.
We are both at a total loss at this point. Gas tube erosion? Carbine now has around 4000 rnds no malfs, but the ejection and results from both the ammo change and lower changes really has me perplexed as we could'nt create a difference in ejection pattern.
Baffled !:(

Possibly an eroded port...seems a low round count really though. If all the springs check out, extractor checks out and so on...I wouldn't worry too much so long as its not causing problems.

MistWolf
06-17-12, 01:57
I have shot quite a few self loading rifles in my time and the only time I ever paid any attention to the ejection pattern is when I shot 91s and that to keep anyone from getting knocked out from the empties on their way to the next zip code. As long as it's ejecting, functioning and not bunking me on the head, I don't worry about it.

Best way to get your brass to land in a neat little pile is to follow the advice in my signature below-