PDA

View Full Version : Recommended zero for 3 gun

VIP3R 237
06-01-12, 00:05
Im starting to get into 3-gun and im trying to decide what would be the best zero for my vortex 1-4x. The range we shoot at has a max of 200 yards. So all of you more experienced gunners out there what is your preference?

Nick S
06-01-12, 00:56
200 yd in my opinion but you need to actually zero at 200 then know where the path crosses closer in.

You also need to consider your reticle and how things line up with whatever round your shooting.

Shooting nice tight groups with a 4x scope is not easy. If you are having trouble consider the 100 yd zero as it might be a little easier.

Failure2Stop
06-01-12, 06:03
I highly recommend a 100 meter zero for 300 meters and under, and at longer ranges if your optics have a BDC, Mil hashes, or some other repeatable hold-over feature for longer range use.

It makes everything from 3 meters to 300 meters easier than any other zero.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

jwfuhrman
06-01-12, 07:46
What F2S said. I run a 100 yard zero, as it lets you do just simple holds out to the usual distance you will see at a 3gun(for us, 200 90% of the time, but majors out to 400)

VIP3R 237
06-02-12, 01:08
Thanks for the replies, sounds like 100 is the way to go.

davidjinks
06-02-12, 01:14
I'll second F2S as well.

I'm not a 3 gunner person, however, I'm a recent convert to the 100 yard zero thanks to F2S. All the way out to 300 with a T1 4 MOA dot, I could bang the steel quite well as long as I applied my offset.

kelly neal
06-02-12, 01:50
Most Tac Optic 3 gunners use either a 200 yard or 200 meter zero BUT some really good ones ran/run a 100 y/m zero. Horner did when he shot a S&B 1-4x and 77 gr. Black Hills. I dont know what zero he is using with his Swaro. A lot depends on your reticle and the load your planning on using. A lot also depends on the targets that your typically engaging. Larues allow for a lot of elevation slop. MGM plates less so.

Most important is that you completely understand your zero and know where to hold on the target for every range that you commonly encounter.

I run a 200 meter zero with Hornady Steel Match 75s with the CMR reticle.

FYI almost all the best iron sight shooters run a 300 y or m zero.

VIP3R 237
06-02-12, 02:15
Good information. We are using MGM targets iirc.

How do you like the steel match? I picked up a box of the 75s but I havent had a chance to try them yet.

Most Tac Optic 3 gunners use either a 200 yard or 200 meter zero BUT some really good ones ran/run a 100 y/m zero. Horner did when he shot a S&B 1-4x and 77 gr. Black Hills. I dont know what zero he is using with his Swaro. A lot depends on your reticle and the load your planning on using. A lot also depends on the targets that your typically engaging. Larues allow for a lot of elevation slop. MGM plates less so.

Most important is that you completely understand your zero and know where to hold on the target for every range that you commonly encounter.

Alaskapopo
06-02-12, 02:30
Im starting to get into 3-gun and im trying to decide what would be the best zero for my vortex 1-4x. The range we shoot at has a max of 200 yards. So all of you more experienced gunners out there what is your preference?

It depends on the ranges you will be shooting and the target size and your optic. I have two loads for three gun. A short range light bullet blaster that is zeroed at 100 yards and a 77 grain load that is zerod at 235 yards (to match up best with my scopes BDC) I am lucky in that these loads match up so I don't have to dial when I switch between them. 100 yard zero with my blaster load is a 235 yard zero with my long range stuff. But even if that was not the case its easy to dial in for a particular match or stage. The rifle game is all about knowing where your bullets impact at the ranges you will be shooting. If you are going to be shooting pesky poppers at 100 yards you want your zero to be close to on at 100 yards not 6 inches high on a 14 inch target (300 yard zero would do that to you).
Pat

SA80Dan
06-05-12, 11:45

I also have a Viper 1-4x. The most difficult shots at my local 3 gun matches are small plates at 200m(219y). So...that is where I zero my rifle as it is most critical for the match I shoot.

As an aside, I'm also very happy with a 200M zero for a "general" zero anyway, so its a happy coincidence.

shootist~
06-07-12, 23:18
It doesn't really matter so long as you know what the gun is doing between 0 Yds and your zero; and have a plan for the longer shots.

A 200 Meter zero is always the standard for me. No thinking involved when I switch guns, since I've done it this way for years (and before I had turrets, BDC or Mil (or MOA ) hash marks.

We generally shoot to about 350 yds in the local long range match, sometimes a little longer. We have another match in a long pistol berm that's always under 90 yds.

ETA: The hash marks on my 1-4 PST are too thin for my eyes to pick up easily. However it workes just fine at 330 yds (300M) using the center dot with a 200M zero. The hold point on 10" steel is simply the top edge - or a blond one over, depending on the load and barrel length.

lifebreath
06-08-12, 11:02

I recently spent time with Daniel and he had his Swaro zeroed at 100. I've got the Gen 2 with the same BRT reticle, and it makes perfect sense to run a 100 yard zero, since the reticle gives just enough information for holdovers and windage holds out to 600 yards and up to 20 mph winds.

With a different optic, I might choose a different scheme.

Boxerglocker
06-10-12, 15:14
I recently spent time with Daniel and he had his Swaro zeroed at 100. I've got the Gen 2 with the same BRT reticle, and it makes perfect sense to run a 100 yard zero, since the reticle gives just enough information for holdovers and windage holds out to 600 yards and up to 20 mph winds.

With a different optic, I might choose a different scheme.

This in a nut shell was explained to me and converted my thinking on having a 50/200 zero as opposed to the 100... no all my optics are 100 including my RDs.