PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun stock - Too long

Robc1219
06-01-12, 09:14
Hi,

I know this might be a dumb question. But I am looking at a Remington 870 police magnum with wood stock and foregrip. My problem has always been the length of the stock but i'm not looking for a synthetic pistol grip stock or folding stock. Can you either purchase a shorter wood stock or are there other alternatives next to the pistol grip ajustable stocks?

Yes, i have short arms...grrrrrr..

Thanks!

Rosco Benson
06-01-12, 09:25
This is one of the easier fixes to have done locally...in most locales. Almost every town has a gun plumber who can cut down a wooden stock and refit a recoil pad. Check around at your local trap or skeet range.

Rosco

Robc1219
06-01-12, 10:20
Thanks for the input!

plouffedaddy
06-01-12, 14:04
Hogue makes a 12'' LOP stock that I've used before and I liked it. I'm 6' but still like a shorter LOP on all my guns.

drsal
06-01-12, 14:13
I put a "youth" stock on my 870, works well and an inexpensive, an easy remedy for me.

cheapsandwich
06-01-12, 14:50
It's really easy to do it yourself.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54l76JER3dY

Robc1219
06-01-12, 15:01
Great input and suggestions guys...I had no idea the Hogue LOP in 12 even existed and I like the youth stock, but can't find it anymore in wood. But if I go synthetic, I have options now.

Many thanks!

ST911
06-01-12, 21:23
Last I looked, both wood and synthetic OEM stocks in youth lengths were available from Remington. There are several alternate LOPs in the aftermarket.

Gunsmith can shorten otherwise, or if you own a table saw...

kmrtnsn
06-01-12, 22:00
Magpul just started shipping their shotgun stock this week. Personally, I like the Mesa Tactical Urbinos but they have a pistol grip, not meeting your spec.

NCPatrolAR
06-02-12, 17:36
I recommend just cutting down your existing stock (half-one inch at a time) until you find a length that fits you. Jumping into the super short youth stocks isn't always a good thing

CRAIG4FSU
06-13-12, 13:07
I have cut down my stocks in the past due to having short arms as well.

A good rule of thumb i use that a gun smith told me when i was younger for stock length.Place the butt of your shotgun in the fold of your elbow joint,the fold of the the 1st joint (closest to the nail) of your index finger should rest on the trigger.After trying it,the length was absolutely perfect for me and is how i have measured my stock length since.

Hope that helps.

kmrtnsn
06-14-12, 23:17

A good rule of thumb i use that a gun smith told me when i was younger for stock length.Place the butt of your shotgun in the fold of your elbow joint,the fold of the the 1st joint (closest to the nail) of your index finger should rest on the trigger.After trying it,the length was absolutely perfect for me and is how i have measured my stock length since.

Hope that helps.

That method is probably okay for hunting ducks and geese with a shotgun but not appropriate for a tactical shotgun or when shooting wearing armor, and or hard armor plates. For these applications a shorted stock is better option.

CRAIG4FSU
06-18-12, 08:12
That method is probably okay for hunting ducks and geese with a shotgun but not appropriate for a tactical shotgun or when shooting wearing armor, and or hard armor plates. For these applications a shorted stock is better option.

What is the suggested method for measuring then?

Just curious.

oldtexan
06-18-12, 17:47

Hope that helps.

The method you describe probably works fine when fitting a shotgun to be used in a bladed stance, where the shooter's body is oriented at about 90 degrees off the line of the muzzle. This is a stance used typically by "sporting" users of shotguns.

If one is using a shotgun as a weapon, a more squared stance (hips square to the threat)is generally considered best practice now. Facing a threat squarely is what our instinct tells us to do, helps us to fend off and deliver blows, allows for greater freedom of movement, and helps us recover from recoil when using firearms. In the more squared stance a shorter stock seems to help many folks manipulate the weapon better (eg it's easier to rack the slide on a pump shotgun when the pump handle is closer to the body, and this is made possible by a shorter stock).

I don't know of a method other than trial and error to figure out what your proper stock length would be on a fighting gun. If you had access to an AR with a collapsible stock, this would help you determine your correct length by trying different lengths.

I'm 5'10", with a 35" dress shirt sleeve length(longer than average), and I prefer about a 12" to 12.5" length on ARs, shotguns, and on my Steyr Scout rifle. Other people will have different preferences.

CRAIG4FSU
06-18-12, 18:16
GREAT info.Thanks.

Yes,i have an DD M4 V1 and a LR308 with adjustable stock.Is LOP from the trigger to buttpad or,,,,,,?

oldtexan
06-18-12, 21:03
GREAT info.Thanks.

Yes,i have an DD M4 V1 and a LR308 with adjustable stock.Is LOP from the trigger to buttpad or,,,,,,?

Glad I could help.

Length of pull is measured from the center of the front face of the trigger straight to the center of the rear face of the butt.

CRAIG4FSU
06-19-12, 05:51
Thanks again.

I honestly never considered the stance factor.

oldtexan
06-20-12, 10:30
Thanks again.

I honestly never considered the stance factor.

Here's a link to a very detailed and informative thread, with numerous pics over at another forum, on the subject of stock length, started by a friend of mine. http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=6&f=1&t=289450

I value his insights highly; he has much more experience with this issue than me.

CumbiaDude
06-20-12, 17:20
I recommend just cutting down your existing stock (half-one inch at a time) until you find a length that fits you. Jumping into the super short youth stocks isn't always a good thing+1 to this. As soon as I got home with my Mossberg, I found the stock was too long. I cut an inch off with a hacksaw, reshaped the pad to match the contour, and never looked back. No purchase needed.

zimm17
08-01-12, 12:09
I've cut down an 870 stock before too. Use a miter saw to make sure it's straight. The butt pad will be too big, so it should be "reshaped". The bolt will also be too long, so plan on a spacer under the bolt head, or a shorter bolt.

Syndicate
08-02-12, 08:53
Hogue makes a 12'' LOP stock that I've used before and I liked it. I'm 6' but still like a shorter LOP on all my guns.

I'm 6'3" and favor a 14.5 inch LOP, go fig

had 3/4 of an inch of collar bone removed from my shoulder, about to need the same deal to fix the left, I hold the gun in differently now, only thing I can account for. My model 12 trap gun is uncomfortable to use now, and it's worth to much as is to hack up (rare trap gun I guess, my father gave it to me) don't really know what to do with it now.

ok holy shit http://www.gunauction.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=9546144
mine is in WAY better shape, good thing I hardly ever shot it to begin with. and this one is a pretty early one if I am not mistaken

Edward78
08-03-12, 21:05
Get a adjustable knocks stock