PDA

View Full Version : Lightweight 300 AAC Blackout barrel or upper?

Sid Post
06-01-12, 10:33
Who makes a solid reputable lightweight 300 AAC Blackout upper or barrel?

I'm looking for something 16" inches in length that cuts weight down. Or, does something like the Daniel Defense already take things down to the practical minimum weight limit? Would fluting or thinning out the barrel remove enough weight to be worth the effort?

Thanks!
Sid

Todd.K
06-01-12, 10:55
The bigger hole through the barrel makes a 300 BLK lighter weight with the same outside dimensions as a 5.56 barrel.

SomeOtherGuy
06-01-12, 10:56
I don't know if this would be considered reputable or not, given that I don't know who makes them, but this is the lightest profile I've seen for a 300BLK barrel:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/311028/ar-stoner-barrel-ar-15-300-aac-blackout-ultra-lite-contour-1-in-8-twist-16-stainless-steel?cm_vc=S014

The reviews are good. I have the same brand of medium contour barrel and it seems well made, went together easily and provides perfect function with supersonic loads in the upper I built with it. (I haven't tried any subsonic loads.)

Sid Post
06-01-12, 20:05
The bigger hole through the barrel makes a 300 BLK lighter weight with the same outside dimensions as a 5.56 barrel.

Without having barrel weights listed or knowing the "wall" thickness makes it hard to understand weight and when things get too thin for barrel rigidity. I'm not really worried about bursting a barrel with high pressure loads but, I don't want bad barrel harmonics or barrel slump with reasonable rates of fire either.

I don't want to end up with a rifle like some of the ultralight bolt actions where three rapid fire shots heats the barrel up too much and makes the third round wander off significantly.

Sid Post
06-01-12, 20:10
I don't know if this would be considered reputable or not, given that I don't know who makes them, but this is the lightest profile I've seen for a 300BLK barrel:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/311028/ar-stoner-barrel-ar-15-300-aac-blackout-ultra-lite-contour-1-in-8-twist-16-stainless-steel?cm_vc=S014

The reviews are good. I have the same brand of medium contour barrel and it seems well made, went together easily and provides perfect function with supersonic loads in the upper I built with it. (I haven't tried any subsonic loads.)

Thanks! This is just they type of information I was looking for.