PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on a 300 BLK SBR Suppressed build

87seph
06-01-12, 12:26
I am pursuing a 300 BLK suppressed SBR (AR platform). However, this is my first build, so I could use some advice on how to mitigate the costs while retaining reliability.

It appears that I am legally able to hunt deer with a suppressed SBR in my state, so that will be a single use. Another is home defense as well as enjoyable range time.

Timing is not an issue, I can wait as long as needed for the tax stamps, I just want to do it right.

Given the available options on the market, would it be better to build it in macro or micro pieces? I figure I can find a lower locally, and then either buy an entire upper, or piece it together.

I appreciate the help,
-Seph

BC98
06-01-12, 14:48
If you do not currently have a registered SBR (or pistol) lower, then build the lower and get your tax stamp. Once tax stamp is received, build your upper. If you must buy any upper parts prior to to receiving the stamp, buy everything except the barrel.

While constructive intent is a pretty gray area, I prefer to err on the side of caution with the ATF.

ETA: Form 1 approvals are running between 6 and 7 months wait time right now, I believe. So if this is something you want to do, I would recommend submitting your paperwork into the ATF soon to meet your deadline.

Quiet Riot
06-01-12, 20:52
It's easy enough to build your lower as a pistol first, so you can build and use your upper while you wait for your stamp.

darr3239
06-01-12, 21:40
Timing is not an issue, so long as I can finish the build within the first few months of 2013.

FYI, timing is the issue. Getting a tax stamp back from the Feds is running at least six months now, from the time the package of paperwork is mailed to them.

Sid Post
06-02-12, 10:58
Start with the SBR lower. Once you have the tax stamp, building your own upper or buying one that is already debugged is easy and fast. This also gives you time to consider your upper options.

87seph
06-03-12, 13:57
Start with the SBR lower. Once you have the tax stamp, building your own upper or buying one that is already debugged is easy and fast. This also gives you time to consider your upper options.

I can do that. I'm entertaining using a trust and a lawyer to help the process.

When building a strong reliable system, where can I chose more "economy" pieces (lower, stock, upper?) and where do should I focus on "premium" elements (barrel, bolt carried group)?

I was considering picking up either a local lower and starting with that, or grabbing one from a distributor such as BravoCo. Do I need a Noveske or AAC barrel, or can I find less expensive options?

Thank you,
-Seph

Tier One Arms
06-05-12, 02:56
Go with the Noveske barrel, they are the best on the market.

wahoo95
06-05-12, 05:36
Built money around a 11.3" Wilson Combat Barrel and it is very accurate and reliable with both supersonic and subsonic ammo.....with or without a silencer mounted.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Stopsign32v
08-02-12, 21:36
How do you figure out what size suppressor you want to run? My next build will be a 300 BLK.

Nightvisionary
08-03-12, 02:52
Go with the Noveske barrel, they are the best on the market.

Noveske has great barrels but they most certainly are NOT the best on the market.

darr3239
08-03-12, 03:06
Noveske has great barrels but they most certainly are NOT the best on the market.

Sooooo............who is? Especially in the realm of 8-9" versions? :dirol:

Quiet Riot
08-03-12, 08:18
I can do that. I'm entertaining using a trust and a lawyer to help the process.

When building a strong reliable system, where can I chose more "economy" pieces (lower, stock, upper?) and where do should I focus on "premium" elements (barrel, bolt carried group)?

I was considering picking up either a local lower and starting with that, or grabbing one from a distributor such as BravoCo. Do I need a Noveske or AAC barrel, or can I find less expensive options?

Thank you,
-Seph
Right now, it seems that if you're going to go short, the most reliable 300 BLK barrels are from the more expensive sources. That said, an 8.5" Rainier Arms barrel will give you what you expect from Noveske for about $290.

The biggest problem is that barrel manufacturers are having trouble keeping up with demand. It's best to get on a waiting list rather than try to snipe a barrel as they become available.

darr3239
08-03-12, 13:01
I've heard good things about both companies. Noveske seems to be the go to for accuracy, but some others can't be that far off.

I agree with getting on a backorder list for the hard to get barrels. The odds of finding someone wanting to sell a used one aren't that great, and a new one showing up to buy the same day is non-existent.

I just got word my barrel from Midway was released from backorder for shipping, three months to the day after ordering.