PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Frankengun Fail Video

TacMedic556
06-01-12, 14:09
Interesting video seen on youtube today. I am not affiliated with the video, but I merely found it today. It appears and sounds like the gun is a Bushmaster lower with a Stag barrel, (upper receiver??). There was apparently an FTE, that resulted in a broken stock when mortar technique was attempted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AP8ikqjkIKY&feature=g-all-lik

He also has this video of a LWRC firing pin that failed. Interesting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=2rLYz2F-QhE#!

ASH556
06-01-12, 14:16
The guy doing the eval kinda looks like Iraqgunz.

chadbag
06-01-12, 14:19

I do believe it is. (Look at the name on the glove)

TacMedic556
06-01-12, 14:22
If it is IG, the gun was in good hands and it would explain how the guy resolved it fairly quickly and ID'd the issue potentially.

bullittmcqueen
06-01-12, 14:50
Yes, saw this earlier today. Hoss usually has some pretty nice videos. His video getting stopped in oregon for open carry by a couple of idiot cops is an especially good watch.

TacMedic556
06-01-12, 14:59
Yes, saw this earlier today. Hoss usually has some pretty nice videos. His video getting stopped in oregon for open carry by a couple of idiot cops is an especially good watch.

that video of the stop in Portland was awesome. He did well.

Dwsmitht343
06-01-12, 15:46
Leave it to Portland! Eastern Oregon isn't like that! If I can't find a good class here in Alaska I have seen classes offered near bend. Might be a good reason to go home!

Iraqgunz
06-01-12, 16:22
That was me who fixed the LWRC issue.

Iraqgunz
06-01-12, 16:27
That was me who fixed the Frankengun issue as well. Personally I was kind of against the mortaring thing since we were in a training environment and I would have rather of tried to clear the issue.

The end result was an older style Vltor stock died on the scene.

Interesting video seen on youtube today. I am not affiliated with the video, but I merely found it today. It appears and sounds like the gun is a Bushmaster lower with a Stag barrel, (upper receiver??). There was apparently an FTE, that resulted in a broken stock when mortar technique was attempted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AP8ikqjkIKY&feature=g-all-lik

He also has this video of a LWRC firing pin that failed. Interesting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=2rLYz2F-QhE#!

Packman73
06-01-12, 16:41
I don't think I've been to that range; which one is it?

feedramp
06-01-12, 16:48
I love the ending on the LWRC video where, instead of changing mags, he changes handgun. That made my day. :D

kest_01
06-01-12, 17:19
I've personally never seen a firing pin retaining pin fail like that, question, would that upper still be safe to shoot if he had a spare to pop in?

rushca01
06-01-12, 17:29
IG, you could be Chappy's (LMS defense) twin brother..:eek:

Iraqgunz
06-01-12, 17:41
Tucson Rifle and Pistol Club. It out on the Ajo Highway or something.

I don't think I've been to that range; which one is it?

Iraqgunz
06-01-12, 17:42
I did in fact replace it with a Colt firing pin retaining pin and used it the rest of the course.

I've personally never seen a firing pin retaining pin fail like that, question, would that upper still be safe to shoot if he had a spare to pop in?

DeviousMind
06-01-12, 22:22
that video of the stop in Portland was awesome. He did well.

You got a link?

sinlessorrow
06-01-12, 23:08
That was me who fixed the LWRC issue.

that firing pin fail was the strangest thing i have ever seen.

eta: firing pin retaining pin....brain fart

Brahmzy
06-01-12, 23:12
that firing pin fail was the strangest thing i have ever seen.

Yeah, pretty crazy. Just goes to show anything can go at anytime. Basically bent, fatigued wire. Still not sure HOW it did that.

SW-Shooter
06-01-12, 23:34
I don't know why people hate Bushmaster stripped lowers. If it's in spec and everything checks out, throw in a quality LPK and you have a lower that's as every bit of good as any other.

I just think that as soon as he saw the Bushmaster lower it was like he had to hold his nose. The lower wasn't to blame, it was the piss poor upper assembly that was. That stock had been mugged.:sarcastic:

TacMedic556
06-01-12, 23:39
You got a link?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7UMdniHWkI

It was in Eugene.

feedramp
06-02-12, 02:04

The_War_Wagon
06-02-12, 06:25
I don't know why people hate Bushmaster stripped lowers. If it's in spec and everything checks out, throw in a quality LPK and you have a lower that's as every bit of good as any other.

Clearly the problem was the less-than-spec upper, and the BCG. The lower just gives us hatah's another chance to say, "Bushamster!" :sarcastic:

sinlessorrow
06-02-12, 09:42
I wonder if the LWRC was assembled wrong?

If they put the cotter pin in before the firing pin then the trigger fell on it cutting the cotter pin in half and pushing the other end out?

Seems like a possible theory

Brahmzy
06-02-12, 09:55
Yeah I thought about that, but I just don't see the FP staying put during handling to even still be in place. And it wouldn't have reached a primer with the pin blocking its path, along with the hammer angle not being correct enough for any kind of solid ignition.
Don't think that one's physically possible.

ICANHITHIMMAN
06-02-12, 10:07
I have seen more than a few firing pin related threads at LWRC fourm. Im not saying this was related but they have a few diffrent versions of there BCG out there.

HackerF15E
06-02-12, 10:13
how much we've lost to the younger generations via media and public school indoctrination about the evils of guns and the promotion of deviance.

It's important that everyone realize, however, that it's very possible to get general American opinion to move in the other direction, too. Definitely not a lost cause.

Right now I think we're still dealing with the aftermath of the 1990s, which in my opinion was the low point of my lifetime. Public perception or firearms owners, users, and bearers has improved significantly since then, however. I think it's definitely trending in the correct direction.

Cagemonkey
06-02-12, 10:18
That was me who fixed the LWRC issue.That was pretty interesting. The same thing happened to me when I owned a LWRC upper. I replaced the retaining pin with a KNC solid type. Any idea's on the reason for this type of breakage?

hotrodder636
06-02-12, 10:20

First thing I thought of when I saw the LWRC video from another thread yesterday....

Which after reading all of the thread was thusly confirmed.

WFO
06-02-12, 13:15

It was in Eugene.

Eugene cops have a tendency to be boners. Not as bad as Lane County Sherriffs though.

Well done. I'm actually surprised that one of them knew the law and he didn't get cuffed.

Packman73
06-02-12, 15:28
Tucson Rifle and Pistol Club. It out on the Ajo Highway or something.
Ah, that explains it. Thanks.

GunnutAF
06-02-12, 15:46
Iraqgunz
Wow firing pin retainer fail? Never seen nor heard that one. Seen them installed wrong where firing pin locked up the action. How many rounds on that gun? Both of those AR's looked very dry! I like mine wet. :D

Casull
06-02-12, 16:16
I've referenced these videos before in other posts. They're certainly a good thing to see happen especially with the somewhat educational narrative.

It makes me think I should keep a nice complete spare parts kit in a tackle box or something. A gun may be quality but strange stuff can break that isn't just an extractor, bolt, or firing pin.

ccosby
06-02-12, 16:33
That was me who fixed the Frankengun issue as well. Personally I was kind of against the mortaring thing since we were in a training environment and I would have rather of tried to clear the issue.

The end result was an older style Vltor stock died on the scene.

what multi tool were you using?

jklaughrey
06-02-12, 16:35
Multitasker...it was stated in video.

Iraqgunz
06-02-12, 18:31
The rifle in particular was an LWRC and it was a loaner to the shooter from a friend. He was erroneously told that it didn't need to be lubed.

I have seen firing retaining pins bend or split in half, but not like that one did.

Iraqgunz
Wow firing pin retainer fail? Never seen nor heard that one. Seen them installed wrong where firing pin locked up the action. How many rounds on that gun? Both of those AR's looked very dry! I like mine wet. :D

Anomic
06-02-12, 20:42
Eugene cops have a tendency to be boners. Not as bad as Lane County Sherriffs though.

Well done. I'm actually surprised that one of them knew the law and he didn't get cuffed.

He did Fairly well; but remember no matter how smart you are- you will be better off if you dont talk to the police.

"excuse me sir i see you are carrying a gun ?????"

"hello officer; yes im out for a walk; if im not under arrest il be on my way" and start walking. We have had great success with this in va and thenpolice have much more respect for a citizen just wanting to be left alone than someone trying to get in a legalese battle on the sidewalk.

MistWolf
06-02-12, 23:13
Judging from the pieces shown in the video, the cotter pin was installed backwards with the head on the R/H side rather than the L/H

Iraqgunz
06-03-12, 02:03
Actually it was installed properly. But, when the pin split, it went through to the other side and then literally bent over which caused it to lock up.

Judging from the pieces shown in the video, the cotter pin was installed backwards with the head on the R/H side rather than the L/H

Tedfs
06-03-12, 03:45
Great videos of malfunctions and how to diagnose and fix them.

In the first video, it sounds like Steve instructing in the background while the gun is being diagnosed/fixed.

DeviousMind
06-03-12, 10:18

It was in Eugene.

Thanks for the link. Great video.

Clint
06-03-12, 11:17
Nice vid.

Why do FPR pins fail?

Is it simply fatigue from getting hit by the FP during full recoil?

Iraqgunz
06-03-12, 14:08
Let's talking about the "failure vids" and not the open carry issue. Otherwise we need to start a new thread.

Dwsmitht343
06-03-12, 15:48
Ig,

A couple questions, did the rifle end up being unshootable or was the owner able to get it back out on the range ? Are frankenguns more prone to mechanical failures versus complete assemblies? Would you recommend having a spare complete bcg handy or extra parts such as bolt, pins, springs? And can you ship frog lube to Alaska?

Iraqgunz
06-03-12, 18:45
The FPRP was replaced and the shooter went back out. (LWRC).

The Frankengun was checked, lubed and went back out as far as I remember and he shot the course.

A Frankengun is more prone in that the people building them are usually not picking the right components and installing everything correctly. They spend money on a good barrel or optics and then cut corners everywhere else.

If you select the proper components, install everything correctly, you shoot good ammo and keep it lubed you should have no issues.

We had at least one guy in the class who still refused to believe that a wet gun was better. Later it was discovered that his "military" past was somewhat fabricated.

Froglube is not HAZMAT and therefore can ship almost anywhere.

Ig,

A couple questions, did the rifle end up being unshootable or was the owner able to get it back out on the range ? Are frankenguns more prone to mechanical failures versus complete assemblies? Would you recommend having a spare complete bcg handy or extra parts such as bolt, pins, springs? And can you ship frog lube to Alaska?

GunnutAF
06-03-12, 20:31
Iraqgunz
Well the Accident Investigation guy in me is trying to figure out what casued it to break as -unless I'm wrong - the retaining pin isn't under pressure and serves just to keep the FP in place. And by looking at that pin you pulled in sheared in two. Heat stressed? Just bad metal? :) Thats why I was wondering how many rounds down the tube on that AR?

TacMedic556
06-03-12, 22:51
A youtube channel of IG doing this very thing often would be cool. Trouble shooting, giving advice, gunsmithing, etc. It would be popular.

TacMedic556
06-03-12, 23:33
Round over bolt malfunction.
These two really needed the help of IG. Unreal people: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DC-eSuPDv2s

feedramp
06-03-12, 23:53
A youtube channel of IG doing this very thing often would be cool. Trouble shooting, giving advice, gunsmithing, etc. It would be popular.
+1, I'd watch it.

Moose-Knuckle
06-04-12, 03:03
IG,

I noticed in the Frankengun vid that you used a Multitasker. In your experiance as an armorer on multiple platforms serving abroad, is this tool "the best thing since slice bread" as far as working on a rifle in the field is concerned? Also, how is it on other platforms like the AK?