PDA

View Full Version : What else do I need?

Tex21
06-01-12, 14:37
Im thinking about getting these parts from BCM to put together my first AR so let me know what else I am missing and what yall think. The BCM website says everything is in stock so hopefully if I pull the trigger it will be and I will eventually put a leupold scope on it.

BCM Complete Lower
BCM BCG
BCM Gunfighter Charging Handle

This is the upper:
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-16-Mid-Length-Upper-Receiver-LaRue-Tactical-p/bcm-urg-mid-16%20lt12.htm

CaptainDooley
06-01-12, 14:40
Rear sight, ammo, mags, sling, white light w mount, red dot...

In that order.

Tex21
06-01-12, 14:45
Forgot to put ammo and mags. I will eventually get rear sights also. Really just looking for what else I need to make it shoot , sorry forgot to mention that in the original post. Thanks for the attachment advice I appreciate it.

CaptainDooley
06-01-12, 14:46
Forgot to put ammo and mags. I will eventually get rear sights also. Really just looking for what else I need to make it shoot , sorry forgot to mention that in the original post. Thanks for the attachment advice I appreciate it.

Now that the upper link loaded - front and rear sights.

The only thing you need to make it shoot are the sights, ammo, and mags - unless you don't want to aim.

Tex21
06-01-12, 14:51
Hey Captain you mention a red dot in your first post. This gun at first will be mainly for a truck gun while riding around the pasture in case a hog or yote is spotted but eventually I will put front and rear sights on it as well as a scope. So since you mentioned a red dot and I had originally planned on putting a leaupold scope on it can you please tell me what a good red dot scope is and if it will still serve the purpose of what Im going to be using the gun for in the beginning?

CaptainDooley
06-01-12, 15:13
Well, without any input from you, I basically listed everything you'd want on a defensive rifle, since for me an AR patterned rifle with a 16" barrel is primarily a defensive rifle first.

As for a red dot, I'd wholeheartedly recommend Aimpoints - the PRO is a solid sight for not much cash and the T/H-1 is the standard if you're going lightweight. There's a whole optics section here on the site that can answer any possible question you may have. I know what works for what I need an optic for and that's about it... If you're looking for something with magnification, I wouldn't have a clue where to start.

You say you will eventually put sights and a scope on it - how do you plan to shoot it until then?

Tex21
06-01-12, 15:22
I had planned on putting a scope on first and eventually getting sights put on just for a back of if something ever goes down and my scope gets messed up. I may need to put sights on first and then the scope. Also at what distances would a red dot bet good for?

The things you mention for a defensive gun will also eventually be put on this gun I just have to wait until money is there. This is a college graduation present from all of my family so thats why the attachments will be coming as I can afford them and from reading as much information as I can the general consensus is that this will not be my only ar15 in the end.

Shokr21
06-01-12, 15:29
To determine what kind of optic you might want, we need to know at what distances you plan on using it and what degree of accuracy you require.

Split66
06-01-12, 15:32
Other than whats mentioned above ( especially the ammo) and possibly some professional training ......things that you cant forget * room in your safe/house for more ARs and excuses for the lil lady in your life why you need to spend another XXXXX $$$$.

Tex21
06-01-12, 15:38
To determine what kind of optic you might want, we need to know at what distances you plan on using it and what degree of accuracy you require.

200yds would be probably the most I would need with this rifle. Ive got bigger guns if I need to reach out and touch something but on our land thats really just a safe distance.

CaptainDooley
06-01-12, 15:42
I shoot my red dot to 200 yards with reasonable success, and I'm a pretty worthless shot most of the time. Others can shoot further and more accurately with them than I can. 100 yards and under and they're king. If you're planning on mainly varmint shooting with it, a 1-4 or 3-9 may be of more use, especially if you already have one.

Shokr21
06-01-12, 15:44
I think PSA is running a deal right now on an Aimpoint PRO and a magpul MBUS for $400. Pretty damned good deal.

I think that dot will cover everything you need easily

eta http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/featured/aimpoint-patrol-rifle-optic-and-black-rear-mbus.html

hotbiggun42
06-01-12, 16:37
Good choice OP I have the same but chose the BFH 14.5" barrel. You will need sights, might as well buy the BCM marked troy sites a good sling and a weapons light.
For a scope I have a 1.5-4 Leupold Mark AR . Nice scope for the money and perfect for a truck gun.
Get some 20rd mags and a couple hundred rounds of SSA 77gr ammo and have fun!

Noodles McGee
06-01-12, 17:23
If your gonna go with a scope get the right mount.

BGREID
06-01-12, 18:14
AMMO, lots of ammo!

Tex21
06-01-12, 19:07
Thanks for the help yall! ill look into all the things yall mentioned.

MistWolf
06-01-12, 22:08
The red dot sight will be good for ranges similar to simple iron sights. I have the Magpul MBUS and it's good for a sight that's only used for a back up. For full time use, it only rates fair in my book due it's construction.

For a good coyote/hog carbine out to 200 yards, I'd not go over a fixed 4x. The Leupold 2x7 would work even better as it will give you a great field of view at close range and the clarity and 7x will let you stretch the range a bit when needed. I would not recommend an optic in that range for house defense. It can be made to work, but it's a little too much magnification for across-the-room and less distances. I would recommend nothing less in quality than a Leupold. Lesser optics are more economical, but you pay more for features than glass and the optical quality is lacking