PDA

View Full Version : .22 .920 Fluted/Bull Barrels

Doc. Holiday
06-01-12, 17:32
I have been shopping around for a new barrel for my Ruger 10/22. I really don't want to drop more than $200 for a fluted bull barrel for the gun. I wanted to know if anyone here had experiences with good companies and bad companies when it comes to these. (Links are also helpful if possible) thanks guys!

Gramps
06-01-12, 18:20
10/22 accuracy is a whole different ball game, when you really dig into it. I have a "INCH" lb. torque wrench, NOT FOOT lb, and I torque the barrel screw the exact each time. It took a while at the range to see what was the best setting, (inch lbs wise) for best accuracy. It's like tuning the harmonics of the barrel. Some stocks have a "Bump" down the barrel that is used with the barrel action screw to "Tune" the barrel to. Some people bed the barrel, and free float the action on those. I also "Pinned" the action with the front trigger control pin thru the stock, to keep the action the same. (It's a whole different process) There are a few .22 forums where this is given in good detail. ("Rimfire Central.com" was one, I think) Tactical Solutions (out of Idaho?) have some excellent Ruger after market parts too, as well as their own guns. Volquartson used to make damn good stuff too. I have an "Adams and Bennet" on mine, but it is the only one I have ever had in .920.
Good luck with the project. They are a lot of cheep fun.

mallowpufft
06-01-12, 19:20
I've used Tac Sol and whistle pig barrels with great success. Sadly I sold those two to finance my AR or I would take pictures. I'm down to just my first ever 10/22 (mid 70's vintage back when it was all metal and no plastic trigger guard) that is bone stock minus the auto bolt release, bolt buffer and smoothed out trigger and sear.
And my Charger. Same setup as the 10/22. Don't shoot it much these days but can't bear to part with it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I847 using Tapatalk 2

Matt-man
06-02-12, 14:21
I've owned a couple Green Mountain (http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/rugertargetbarrels/10-22920sporterdiameterbarrels/ruger-10-22-920-bull-barrels-page) 10/22 barrels and I've been happy with them. They're relatively inexpensive ($120-$150 depending on length, finish, etc) and have a decent reputation for accuracy. You can find them at various online outfits that specialize in 10/22 parts, as well as MidwayUSA and Brownells.

Doc. Holiday
06-07-12, 21:35
Yea I've hear a lot about Tac Sol and their stuff. Are there any companies to watch out for?

mallowpufft
06-07-12, 22:57
Yea I've hear a lot about Tac Sol and their stuff. Are there any companies to watch out for?

Butler or Eagle Creek. Anything they sell in blister packs at Cabelas and Gander Mountain that don't contain a Green Mountain or Tac Sol barrel (those are the only two I've seen at those places that aren't Butler or Eagle or "Archangel")

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I847 using Tapatalk 2