PDA

View Full Version : Charging handle qualities.

hydro556
06-01-12, 22:34
I have never paid a ton of attention to which CH is on a given upper or carbine that I buy. I usually just try and buy good stuff to start with and trust it will be fine.

On my current project I am a little more focused on details such as this. But I dont want this discussion limited only to that current project, but on CH's in general. Their pluses and minus's.

My current project is a Noveske LoPro 8" upper in 300BLK.

#1 The upper is being shipped with the "most current" Gun Fighter charging handle. Firstly, I am not sure what that means, as my initial research seems to indicate various "mod" numbers. But the numbers seem to indicate the size of the locking latch, as opposed to any more current revision, etc. Can someone explain what the "most current" Gun Fighter CH is?

On this particular upper, I will run it suppressed all the time and the issue of gas blowback is concerning me. I dont want shooting it to be unpleasant due to blowback. On all my AR's from 16" down to my soon to be SBR, I am becoming more cognizant of gas blow back and would like to minimize it. But on SBR's, and especially suppressed SBR's, blowback is straight nasty and I want to do all I can to mitigate it. For the record, all the SBR's I have fired have been 5.56 and I think (think, assume, etc- not Know) that the 300blk may inherently have less blowback, but at 8" and muffled, I imagine it will be plenty anyway.

#2 So, does the BCM Gun Fighter charging handle attempt to minimize gas blowback better than standard CH's? Reading about it seems to indicate that the designers were more focused on increasing strength, durability and reliability, but not much in the way of making it better at stopping blowback. Either way I will keep it, because if there is a better CH for my needs, I will just get one of those and use the Gun fighter on one of my 16" uppers and buy a CH that is designed for minimizing gas in my face while shooting suppressed.

#3 I have an HCS RECCE that shipped with a PRI Gasbuster CH. This rifle will also be shot almost exclusively suppressed, once my can arrives. So, if the PRI is the best CH for what I need, I will just buy another for my Noveske 8" 300blk and then put the Gun Fighter CH in my Spikes 16" upper (that wont be shot suppressed very often), and pull the Spikes (or whatever brand they use) CH out and use for a backup.

#4 Am I on the right track with the CH's I have mentioned, or are there other CH's altogether that would be better than the 2 I have been discussing at stopping blowback? Or for suppressed SBR's in general? After reading about the BCM Gun Fighter a little, I was frankly surprised that Noveske is shipping the Gun Fighter with their 8" 300blk uppers because if ever there was an upper that was made to run suppressed, well, this is it. So I would think Noveske would be running the best CH available for minimizing blowback. So, I am a bit confused and would love to hear some thoughts from you guys who have been worried about these types of things for longer than I. Thanks.

Sorry that was so wordy, but I am suddenly very interested in something as trivial as charging handles, LOL.

J_Dub_503
06-01-12, 23:41
I didn't read all of the op but some RTV sealant on the gunfighter charging handle will make it act like a PRI gas buster. RetreatHell on YouTube has a good instructional video if you are interested.

Dferg10
06-02-12, 17:27
I have a few ARs (2 Colts, Spikes, BCM) and until recently never bothered to upgrade any of my charging handles. I have a M4-2000 can and was getting a lot I gas in my face, particularly from my 6920.

I bought a PRI Gasbuster and have to say it is worth the price if you are shooting suppressed and have any issue with the gas. I have not tried th DYI RTV method, but have heard it works well. I used the Gasbuster with my 6920 and 10.5" BCM with the M4-2000 this week and was very impressed by the difference. It is very well made and works as promised.