PDA

View Full Version : The Best Glock? Glock 21 - VIDEO

ptmccain
06-02-12, 07:37
OK, I know, I know. "Best" Glock is really a subjective issue, but, for me, the Glock 21 is, by far, my favorite Glock. Love it. Had a good range session with it yesterday. Here's an introduction with firing demonstrations.

Reasons I love it:

The large grip, I have big hands and I get a great purchase.
The site picture/radius, for me, is fantastic.
Trigger is my favorite Glock trigger, better than my other Glocks.
.45ACP - 'nuff said.
Great capacity: 13+1

kenndapp
06-02-12, 08:02
my g21 sf is one of my favorites as well. i have sold off many of my more expensive and impressive handguns to fund other projects. however, parting with the g21sf has never been an option. i have to ask, what about the 21 allows you to shoot it better than its 9mm counterpart? i ask because while i have alot of trigger time on a g21sf i was going to pick up a g17 for possible faster and more controllable shooting. as well as cheaper ammo costs. buying multiple cases of .45 is not fun.

ptmccain
06-02-12, 10:17
Thanks for the good question, I've been thinking a lot about it.

If I had to put my finger on the one thing that allows me to shoot my G21 better than my G17, it would be....grip.

I just love the big grip on my G21.

I'm pretty sure that is what makes all the difference for me.

As for faster and more controllable shooting...well, I think I shoot the G21 pretty fast and it is, for me, quite controllable. More so than my 1911s, and my HK MK23.

kenndapp
06-02-12, 12:01
I had an hk usp45 expert. I loved it but I just was not as fast or comfortable with it as the g21. So the expert had to go. Maybe it was the sky high bore axis that made made that usp expert so uncontrolable in contrast to the g21. I don't know. But maybe. I related news.... Just came from lgs were I was playing with a g17 and a m&p9 side by side. For some reason I am really trying to like the feel of an m&p over a glock. I still prefer glock.

JHC
06-02-12, 14:59
I think I think that if you have big hands or long fingers; too small a grip is not a help to even basic perfect presses. I seem to shoot the Gen 4's best with the large grip insert however they usually give the slide a nice shot at sawing a grove in my hand when I use them.

But that's my WAG about why some shoot the 21 so well. I have an RTF2 G21 SF and it's just superb. Glockmeister just noted they've got more of those in for sale BTW.

ptmccain
06-02-12, 15:01
You are gripping it too high then.

Split66
06-02-12, 16:01
21SF is my favorite shooter, but not a great EDC weapon unless you wear heavy jackets or open carry/duty carry. Is that a Glock21 in your pants or are you just happy to see me......:)

ptmccain
06-02-12, 16:08
My EDC is a Glock 26 with mags with the Pierce extention giving me 12+1, they say you can put 13 in the mag...I'd rather not. I carry two back up mags, giving me a total of 36 rounds of Ranger Talon +P awesomeness. When I do range work with my carry loads, I come back a bit sore, but...content.

Plus I have the Crimson Trace laser grip on it.

:D

kenndapp
06-02-12, 16:22
Never mind oops

ptmccain
06-02-12, 16:28
I'm just telling you what my EDC is.

I am NOT going to get dragged into a .45ACP v. 9mm debate.

You can find plenty of those elsewhere.

:big_boss:

kenndapp
06-02-12, 17:34
no, of course not. i changed my above post because i mis-read yours. sorry.

ptmccain
06-02-12, 17:36
Thanks, it's all good, bro.

:)

SW-Shooter
06-02-12, 19:26
I agree but disagree. I'm in handgun love with the SF variants. My 30SF is a bit more accurate than my 21SF, even at the edge of normal handgun range the compact little bastage out shoots its full size brother. I love it when I put my 30 round KRISS mag in my G30SF, I get those WTF looks.:blink:

SW-Shooter
06-02-12, 19:29
my g21 sf is one of my favorites as well. i have sold off many of my more expensive and impressive handguns to fund other projects. however, parting with the g21sf has never been an option. i have to ask, what about the 21 allows you to shoot it better than its 9mm counterpart? i ask because while i have alot of trigger time on a g21sf i was going to pick up a g17 for possible faster and more controllable shooting. as well as cheaper ammo costs. buying multiple cases of .45 is not fun.

I picked up the G19 because of ammo availability, so the G17 would be a good choice. It's just easier to find 9mm locally most times, and that is the only reason why I have the 9mm Glock in my stable.

circuit
06-02-12, 19:33
Yeah, I personally think the g21 grip is slightly big. But my g19 is definitely my favorite weapon.

SW-Shooter
06-02-12, 19:36
OK, I know, I know. "Best" Glock is really a subjective issue, but, for me, the Glock 21 is, by far, my favorite Glock. Love it. Had a good range session with it yesterday. Here's an introduction with firing demonstrations.

Reasons I love it:

.45ACP - 'nuff said.

Are you running a factory trigger?

ptmccain
06-02-12, 19:41
I love it when I put my 30 round KRISS mag in my G30SF, I get those WTF looks.:blink:

I get weird looks at the range when I use my 33 round mags in my Glock 26.

I do not think they are looks of admiration.

:sarcastic:

Alaskapopo
06-02-12, 19:47

Reasons I love it:

.45ACP - 'nuff said.

I was forced to carry that gun for about 6 years of my 13 as a cop and I hated it. The grip is too big and it was not reliable in the mags got any sand in them at all.

The 45 acp is fine but its not a death ray. I much prefer the Glock 17 to the 21. However the Gen 4 21 is much better due to the better grip frame. (smaller and textured better). But no for me the 21 is far from the best Glock. I have thought about getting a Gen 4 21 like my roomate has for heavy metal in three gun.
Pat

SW-Shooter
06-02-12, 20:00
I get weird looks at the range when I use my 33 round mags in my Glock 26.

I do not think they are looks of admiration.

:sarcastic:

Nope those are scowls of mere FUDDs in the presence of endless strings of fire, pure awesomeness.

ptmccain
06-02-12, 20:09
Oh, so that's what it is!

:blink:

OldGreg
06-02-12, 21:56
OK, I know, I know. "Best" Glock is really a subjective issue, but, for me, the Glock 21 is, by far, my favorite Glock.

I bought my G21 police trade-in when you bought yours, at the same place.

Did your tupperware box have a pink sticker on the bottom of it?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v327/Tonesnob/IMG_0300.jpg

ptmccain
06-02-12, 22:22
Are you running a factory trigger?

Yes, nice and broken in courtesy of some police officer.

ptmccain
06-02-12, 22:24
I bought my G21 police trade-in when you bought yours, at the same place.

Did your tupperware box have a pink sticker on the bottom of it?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v327/Tonesnob/IMG_0300.jpg

I don't remember what color it was. Did you do the work on the grip yourself, or is that how you bought it?

OldGreg
06-02-12, 22:27
I don't remember what color it was. Did you do the work on the grip yourself, or is that how you bought it?

Did it myself.

PSBT4117
06-03-12, 13:42
ptmccain,

How do you like the sight set up on your G21? From the video, it looks like you have a factory plastic rear with night sight front. I used to have the same set up on a G22 and didn't care for it. I switched over to Trijicon front and rear with contrasting colors and have shot much better with it.

ptmccain
06-03-12, 15:53
I haven't touched it since I bought it. The front post appears to be "burned out" and in need of some touching up. It was a police return. Well broken in.

: )

TN-popo
06-03-12, 18:35
The G21 was always a no-go for me due to the size of the grip, until the SF/Gen4s came out.
I recently bought a Gen4 G21 and absolutely love it...2nd only to the G19.
I can't carry a 9mm at work (.40 and .45acp only), but I happily made the Gen4 G21 my duty gun last month (completely stock except for a set of Ameriglos).

I've been issued a G23 for many years. It was fine, but I'm just not a huge .40 fan.
One thing that really surprised me when I got the G21 was how much less felt recoil there was compared to the G23.
In .40 we currently issue the Federal 180gr HST. In .45acp it's Speer 230gr Gold Dot.

ptmccain
06-03-12, 18:37
Thanks for the interesting comment.

TN-popo
06-03-12, 18:53
OldGreg...very nice. I've not seen a stipple job with that texture before. How did you do it?

djegators
06-03-12, 20:07
I too am fond the 21, and I too carry the 26 mostly (sometimes a 19). I really enjoy shooting the 21, and it is my bedside gun as well.