PDA

View Full Version : Fixed front site or flip up

whick1
06-02-12, 08:33
Hey, 1st post but have been reading all the great info for a long time. I am getting ready to make an AR purchase have been out of the game for a couple years due to $$$ issues. Thanks to this site I have narrowed my choices to a Colt or DD both can be had locally at reasonable prices. My main question is the Colt has the traditional front site post while the DD is flattop so it would require BUIS. I plan on running an Aimpoint most likely the PRO. My question is what kind of Co witness would I get with the mount included with the PRO. I think I prefer the lower 1/3 because I have heard(probably unreliable sources) that the FSP can be distracting. With the DD it would not be an issue becuase I could simply flip it down out of the way. What are your guys experience with co witness and tradional front site vs. flip up. Which co witness do you prefer and why also should I go with the tradtional FSP? I tried the search option but could not find anything useful.. I greatly appreciate any help.

wahoo95
06-02-12, 08:44
You will find guys on both sides of the aisle regarding this subject. It really does come down to personal preference so go with works best for you. I have tried both and never found the FSB distracting when using fixed sights, however I settled on flip down BUIS because I prefer the sight picture and it works for me.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

JW1069
06-02-12, 09:24
Up front, a FSB or flip-up sight doesn't matter to me when used with a RDS. However, I do prefer a folding rear BUIS.

Your call. If you can handle a few rifles first to see which configuration appeals to you, that might help.

DIRTMAN556
06-02-12, 09:30
Welcome. I had a BCM 14.5" carrbine-gas system upper built with a pinned and welded flash suppresor. So going with a fixed FSB was a big commitment. Personally like the look of the FSB. One less thing to break as easily.

One factor to consider with any front sight is that if it is used to block the gas tube, it get extremely hot. Obviously you wouldn't want to use plastic front flips.

Consider how you will be using your rifle.

9DivDoc
06-02-12, 09:54
Hey, 1st post but have been reading all the great info for a long time. I am getting ready to make an AR purchase have been out of the game for a couple years due to $$$ issues. Thanks to this site I have narrowed my choices to a Colt or DD both can be had locally at reasonable prices. My main question is the Colt has the traditional front site post while the DD is flattop so it would require BUIS. I plan on running an Aimpoint most likely the PRO. My question is what kind of Co witness would I get with the mount included with the PRO. I think I prefer the lower 1/3 because I have heard(probably unreliable sources) that the FSP can be distracting. With the DD it would not be an issue becuase I could simply flip it down out of the way. What are your guys experience with co witness and tradional front site vs. flip up. Which co witness do you prefer and why also should I go with the tradtional FSP? I tried the search option but could not find anything useful.. I greatly appreciate any help.

Go with the FSB as you get an excellent pinned gas block & if you find
later you dont want it...cut it off and shave it down so it fits under
a longer handguard.

-imo

TucsonFX4
06-02-12, 11:51
a longer handguard.

-imo

+1

That's what I did. I little bit of work involved in shaving it down, but you get the strength of the fitted/pinned gas block and the versatility of a lo-pro block.

ETA: I prefer fixed sights. Even though I shaved the FSB, I added a DD fixed front (and rear) sight. I shaved the FSB so I could add a longer FF rail (Troy Alpha) for longer grip and to add a light at the 12 o'clock position. Then I was able to mount the fixed front sight above the gas block (mid-length) to retain the same sight radius. For carbine length rails, there are some options that could have accomplished this without shaving the front sight. But I have a mid-length system and I prefer the newer style modular rails as opposed to the quad rails.

Your best bet is to try to check out some RDS setups at absolute co-witness and lower 1/3 co-witness to see which seems better to you.

WGG
06-02-12, 12:03
I have an FSB on my Colt with an Aimpoint T1 set at absolute co-witness. I have no issues focusing on the red dot and target without the FSB being a distraction.

I would get the rifle with an FSB and you can always shave it down later if it is an issue for you. DD also makes a longer rail that fits around the FSB.

Welcome and good luck!

avengd7x
06-02-12, 12:10
Welcome. I had a BCM 14.5" carrbine-gas system upper built with a pinned and welded flash suppresor. So going with a fixed FSB was a big commitment. Personally like the look of the FSB. One less thing to break as easily.

One factor to consider with any front sight is that if it is used to block the gas tube, it get extremely hot. Obviously you wouldn't want to use plastic front flips.

Consider how you will be using your rifle.

Daniel defense gas blocks are under the rails, so you can use polymer sights. Daniel defense also makes high quality gas blocks that are pinned, so I don't know why the last couple members are emphasizing that part of a FSB?

I have rifles with both types and I don't really have a preference. I guess I like the longer handguard length and sight radius with my rifles without a FSB.

Jellybean
06-02-12, 13:05
I have a DD V3 with both front and rear fixed sights.
I used to have an Eotech 512, which I did not use a riser with so it was always an absolute cowitness.
I did not ever have a problem using the red dot sight with both fixed sights.
If you're (OP) planning on using a 1/3 mount like a lot of folks here like to do, this is a non issue. Pick whichever rifle you like better.
Imho, for my purposes, the only reasons I could see where I would not want the standard FSB, would be if I wanted a longer handguard/rail (although there are a couple rails systems that can get around this), or was going to mount a scope.

markdh720
06-02-12, 16:15
I have limited experience compared to many, but I prefer the FSB and a lower 1/3 co-witness. A flip-up front BUIS is just one more think to **** with and **** up under stress, if it's ever needed. Even though I do have a rail, red dot and light, I still try to keep it as simple as possible.

I have a T-1 on a LaRue mount. I don't even notice the front sight post when aiming with the red dot.

DD236
06-02-12, 16:23
Sounds like you are talking about a Daniel Defense with a longer rail covering the low pro gas block? I have a similar setup to that with a Daniel Defense 16 middy with a 13" Troy Alpha rail (shaved down FSB) and Aimpoint T-1 with lower 1/3 co-witness. I originally used a flip up front sight (Magpul) but recently threw on a Daniel Defense fixed front sight. I have a Streamlight TLR1 mounted at 12 o'clock and as far forward as I can get it on the rail and the fixed front sight is located just behind the weapon light (puts it directly above the gas block/shaved front sight base). The DD fixed front sight is not distracting in any to way to me with my setup. The Aimpoint PRO with standard mount should give you a lower 1/3 co-witness. It's really user preference but the fixed front sight will be stronger and quicker if your RDS goes down (a consideration if your carbine will be used in a tactical/home defense role). Good luck.

RogerinTPA
06-02-12, 17:37
3 of 5 of my ARs have fixed front sights, 2 flip ups. I use them with both front and rear in the up position with an RDS for years with no issues to date. One of the most notable instructors that post here made the statement during a class years ago, that if they are back up sights and not readily available when you need them the most (RDS failure), what good are they? Following that logic, I'll add, if not readily available, then they are "Oh Shit Sights".

Casull
06-02-12, 17:54
a longer handguard.

-imo

I'll point out that as much as this is true, selling and buying hand guards or rails to suit your gas block is easier said than done.

If you get an FSP rail, but want to go low profile on the gas block you're stuck having to not only reprofile the FSP but also selling and buying for a new rail. Or just wasting $300.

It of course is a great point! but having low-pro to begin with, with a screwed on fixed or flipup sight makes things a whole lot more modular from the get-go.

On that note. FSP's aren't bad. Many people who shoot a heck of a lot prefer having them whether it's in gas block or attached form. Personally I'm between the two. I think the phrase "get what works for you" is important. There's hundreds of reasons to choose one or the other, but what you're comfortable with really seems to sum it up quickly.

Quentin
06-02-12, 20:42
My BCM and Daniel Defense have the fixed FSB, my ArmaLite has a removable which I tend to leave on all the time since the front sight isn't a negative for me.

For the rear sight I use a flip up and when it's up I use a bottom 1/3 cowitness with my RDS. With the rear sight flipped down the dot just floats above the front sight which makes it easy to ignore the fixed sight.

jaxman7
06-02-12, 21:13
I notice a slight increase in my ability to pick up the dot faster with a FSP while shooting in ackward positions. Using the FSP as a visual reference point.

-Jax

Casull
06-02-12, 21:15
I notice a slight increase in my ability to pick up the dot faster with a FSP while shooting in ackward positions. Using the FSP as a visual reference point.

-Jax

I agree with this for sure. It can act as a way to index your y-axis, too.

whick1
06-03-12, 06:36
Thanks for all the replies. I guess I will go with the Colt 6920 with the traditional FSP. Thanks guys

Hmac
06-03-12, 07:18
I've found that my PRO with stock QRP mount co-witnesses in about the lower third. I don't find that using it with a FSP is distracting, but I think that a fixed rear sight would be.

I have a rifle with flip-up fronts and a couple with an FSP. I find that I rarely use iron sights and am not convinced of their absolute value if one is using a reliable RDS so I confess that I'm kind of indifferent to the concept of FSP vs flip-up. If iron sights are important to YOUR use of the rifle then indeed an FSP is a completely reasonable way to go IMHO.

bluecanary
06-03-12, 22:16
I really like my M.I. Folding sights with the EOTech. Great field of view with just the RD. The A2 FSB is distracting.