PDA

View Full Version : Ruger SR22 pistol review with range report

LASTMANINZOMBIEWAR
06-02-12, 23:12
All gunowners always get a warm excited feeling when they purchase a new firearm. At least I know I do. You're always wondering if you got a good deal, picking up somebody else's problem, or just made a bad decision. Given the rising cost of firearms today this decision is often amplified.

After careful evaluation I determined I needed a new 22 pistol for practice. Putting it honestly my pistol skills had fallen off. I know in the ego driven world of the gun culture admitting that you are not the master sniper and door kicking CQC Rambo that may open me to ridicule goodnatured or otherwise. Like many though I take my skills seriously, hence my new purchase.

I was looking for a 22 semi automatic pistol with a look and feel of a modern tactical pistol. I looked at and considered the Sig Mosquito, the Walter P 22 and the Ruger SR 22. I chose the Ruger, and am very please with the purchase.

Here are a few quick reasons why. Ergonomics - the Ruger fit exceptionally well my hand was, light well-balanced and had a good texture on the grip. Value - The Ruger came in slightly less MSRP to the other two and I was able to find one on Gunbroker for approximately $265 before shipping and transfer. My local gun shop recently put one out for retail sale at $375. They are a little hard to come by in my area. Fit & Finish - In my opinion was a wash with the other two, all are quality manufactured firearms. Some people have noted some minor feed problems with Sig. So I went with made in America. And it was also very tacticool.

Somebody at Ruger should be getting a freaking raise, they definitely did their homework on this pistol. And in my opinion I believe the price will be going up on these pistols in the future, as the demand increases.

Range Report: I ran approximately 500 rounds of mixed ammo from Winchester, CCI, Federal and Centurion through pistol in under two hours. I had no FTF or extraction failures at all. The double action trigger while long and a little stiff was easy to get used to, the single action trigger was very nice. The pistol was fairly accurate for a short barrel and had an awesome flash if you're into that. This pistol could be even cooler if it had a threaded barrel for a silencer or a compensator. But given that this pistol is new for 2012 I'm sure there will be many add-ons and accessories coming. If anybody out there at Ruger is reading this review please give us a larger capacity magazine if possible. And where are the replacement magazines all my local dealers say they are not available at this time, two is never enough.
http://img.tapatalk.com/4cf5ce5f-e445-6af8.jpg

http://lastmaninzombiewar.wordpress.com

Calhoun123
06-03-12, 09:45
Does it have a decock feature? It looks DA/SA with a reverse 1911 style safety.

djmorris
06-03-12, 09:57
I'm wondering how this stacks up against the M&P .22lr.... I know Ruger isn't the best manufacturer on the block, but for a .22lr handgun this is definitely one of the more tempting offerings out there. If I can find one for $300 then I'd probably bite. It's basically a toss up between this and the M&P 22 -- I think the Ruger can usually be found for a bit less though.

Just to be clear, it does come with two magazines, correct? $265 + shipping is a steal -- nice work.

LASTMANINZOMBIEWAR
06-03-12, 10:09
Does it have a decock feature? It looks DA/SA with a reverse 1911 style safety.

Yes it does.

LASTMANINZOMBIEWAR
06-03-12, 10:16
I'm wondering how this stacks up against the M&P .22lr.... I know Ruger isn't the best manufacturer on the block, but for a .22lr handgun this is definitely one of the more tempting offerings out there. If I can find one for $300 then I'd probably bite. It's basically a toss up between this and the M&P 22 -- I think the Ruger can usually be found for a bit less though.

Just to be clear, it does come with two magazines, correct? $265 + shipping is a steal -- nice work.

Yes it was new. In factory box. With soft case, 2 mags with extensions and grip replacement. And the giant gun lock and paperwork. I really think Ruger is going to wipe the walther p22 sales out with this new model.

McTerry
08-17-12, 17:43
Reading this with tears in my eyes as I just paid $380 out the door (in ten days)...

varoadking
08-17-12, 18:02
I believe the price will be going up on these pistols in the future, as the demand increases.

They go for $299.00 retail around here these days. I paid a very fair price of $335.00 for mine when they first came out and have been very pleased with it.

marh415
08-17-12, 18:27
That's funny, I just put a deposit on one tonight for my wife's birthday. They were on sale for $329.99 this month. Great price for what you get, Ruger got it right with this pistol. I bought a Sig Mosquito a few years back, had to send it back to Sig after the first trip to the range. It was fun when it wasn't jamming. Needless to say, I sold it to fund my AR build. Good luck, I can't wait to shoot my wife's when we pick it up!!

DZL HOG
08-17-12, 21:55
Congrats on the new Ruger. Sounds like its a good shooter. Im not crazy about DA/SA.
I too just bought a .22lr to get back into pistol training. Its been a few years since I really did any shooting. A .22lr is way cheaper to shoot than my 9mm. I bought a M&P22 a couple weeks ago when they were on sale for $340. Ive only had a chance to put about 60rds of CCI through it but it shot great. Only comes with 1mag so more loading than shooting. I ordered 4 xtra mags b4 I bought the gun, but it took a while to get them in. Maybe the rain will hold off this weekend so I can shoot it some more.