PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone done this...

Cooler
08-28-06, 09:43
Permantly attached a supperssor to a 10.5 in barrel to get you to 16in (actually around 17.8) and only have one tax stamp. Just a thought and wondering if any one has done it. If so what are the pros and cons? I have herd that barrels less than 14 ane not so good due to the short gas return any thoughts?

SuicideHz
08-28-06, 11:01
ICK! Definitely not a good Idea. If something goes wrong or you have a baffle strike (hell, you won't even be able to easily check to see if you've had a baffle strike) and you can't remove the suppressor to check it or to have the manufacturer check it, you'll be really sorry. I think you are better off with a SBR and $200 tax stamp than going that route.

I think the main argument against this idea is the simple fact that a much better option would be to go for a 16" barrel with integral suppressor that will perform much better and can take all 9mm ammo and make it subsonic.

Cooler
08-28-06, 12:27
Those were concerns I had. Thanks. I have no real problem with another tax stamp. Any words of caution about 10.5 '' uppers good bad or other wise? Any recomended brands on the 10.5?

SuicideHz
08-28-06, 12:35
I think Surefire warrantees one of theirs on 10.5" or so barrels. Steve (Bigbore) from ADCO can elaborate. He's also created a 7.5" or so SBR with an OpsInc can that performs well...

Integral only if doing 9mm btw...

K.L. Davis
08-29-06, 00:00
It is possible (and has been done) to make enough of the supressor permanently attached to the barrel to keep the length over an SBR, an still have a can that can be taken apart and cleaned, serviced, etc.

In doing this, you would need to send designs to the ATF for a determination by them that the two seperate "parts" are not a suppressor unless assembled.