PDA

View Full Version : New Member with a Stag Arms

dodge
01-14-08, 08:12
I've been lurking on this site for quite some time and finally decided to join. From the information that I gathered here and on TOS I bought a Stag Arms Model 3 AR-15. Now I have a problem with it and need some advice. When I shot .223 out of it everything is fine but when I shot 5.56 out of it I have problems. Out of the 6 rounds that I have fired 2 FTE and 1 FTF needed to rod to drive to drive out the FTE's. The one that FTF only feed about half way into the chamber although it did clear the magazine. I had another one Fail to Fire but after trying it a couple more times it finally fired. From what I have read on this site and others the chamber is not cut to a true 5.56 chamber even though that is what is stamped on the rifle. Could this be the source of my troubles?

Robb Jensen
01-14-08, 08:18
See rule No.4 (https://www.m4carbine.net/faq.php?faq=vb_faq#faq_new_faq_item)

4) Contact The Manufacturer or Dealer First – Internet forums have a large global audience and unsubstantiated or ill-informed comments will affect the livelihoods of a lot of hard working people in the industry. If you have an issue with a manufacturer or dealer that you would like to resolve, we ask that your first contact them to resolve it.

if that doesn't cure it:

It could be a chamber problem. Sometimes FTEs are extractor spring problems and or too light of a buffer (on a CAR gas system rifle). I would try a BCM extractor upgrade kit and an H buffer and see if it stops. If these cure it I would leave the chamber alone.

dodge
01-18-08, 06:46
I like a new born baby with my AR so I have a question on going to a heavier buffer and heavier ejector spring. Am I correct in that this will slow down the ejection impulse just enough to allow the brass to contract a little bit more to aid in ejection and the ejector upgrade is so that the ejector can get a tighter grip on the casing? I have order these parts and in the very near future I'm hoping to give a test and see if they help or not.

markm
01-18-08, 07:22
From the information that I gathered here and on TOS I bought a...

I read this a lot here lately. :p

(and your logic is basically correct. I hope it works out for you.)

Kurt Reifert
01-18-08, 08:56
Before you start changing parts or blaming the gun, what was the origin of the "5.56" ammo you were using?
If it works fine with .223 and all of a sudden won't feed a 5.56, I may question the ammo rather than the rifle.

newarowner
01-18-08, 09:08
+1 on trying a different type of 5.56 ammo. That would be the first, and simplest thing to try to help and isolate the problem before you start changing the config of the rifle.

dodge
01-18-08, 09:28
Sorry I had a gray hair moment when typing my last post meant extractor not ejector. The 5.56 ammo I picked up at a gun show and is LC & TW date '73-'83. I only have 100 rounds of it which I picked up for $8.95 per 50. I'm not sure the TW stands for does anybody have any idea? We was on strike when I picked this up and now that I'm back to work I'll be picking up some newer 5.56 probably some Prvi.

Deadcenter45
01-18-08, 15:01
I won't pretend to know anything, but if that was MY rifle, I would have the chamber checked out - I would bet a donut that ned's 5.56 chamber reamer would remove a some metal!

LIL-COMMANDO
01-18-08, 15:53
Sorry I had a gray hair moment when typing my last post meant extractor not ejector. The 5.56 ammo I picked up at a gun show and is LC & TW date '73-'83. I only have 100 rounds of it which I picked up for $8.95 per 50. I'm not sure the TW stands for does anybody have any idea? We was on strike when I picked this up and now that I'm back to work I'll be picking up some newer 5.56 probably some Prvi.

+1 on checking the ammo being used. Buying 5.56 ammo at a gun show for 8.95 per 50 rounds is really cheap and therefore the ammo must be crap. With ammo prices and the demand who would let quality ammo go that cheap. Get some quality 5.56 ammo and shoot again. Remember if you have no idea what kind of ammo it is or cant find it on a map of where it came from then dont use it.

Take care of your weapon by feeding it quality ammo.:eek:

Safetyhit
01-19-08, 10:05
As said earlier, definitely try some likely higher quality 5.56 first before jumping to any conclusions. Saw a similar scenario with a DMPS recently. Not sure of the outcome other than to say that he was using some 5.56 that I had never seen nor heard of before, but the gun had just been shooting .223 fine.

knightsar
01-19-08, 10:36
Get some good quality 5.56 and try again. before you spend a ton of money on new parts.;)

Kurt Reifert
01-19-08, 11:56
Your gun show 5.56 may very well be reloaded crap and not mil-spec factory ammo.

LIL-COMMANDO
01-19-08, 14:48
Make sure to give us an update on your rifle, Thx.

C4IGrant
01-19-08, 14:55
Your chamber could be out of spec (too tight) or your extractor internals need upgraded.

C4