PDA

View Full Version : smith optics ready worth $700?

filthy phil
06-03-12, 12:54
i really want a 6920 but saw the smith m&p orc at carters co. in houston for this price.
any issues with them?
thanks

Evil Colt 6920
06-03-12, 12:57
If the 6920 is what you want, settle for nothing less.

skyugo
06-03-12, 12:58
you'll need to drop at least 100 bucks on sights for that smith so keep that in mind when doing the price comparison. the m&p carbines are decent guns, but i'd say the colts are better.

Traveshamockery
06-03-12, 12:59
I just sold an M&P-15 and bought a Noveske. Having experienced both, there's no question the Noveske is a superior rifle.

The Smith & Wesson was always good to me, but it was over-gassed, came with 1/9 barrel twist (bad for heavier bullets), a carbine buffer, and AR-15 bolt carrier group. I know they've fixed some of those shortcomings in their newer rifles.

I think the general consensus is that the S&W rifles are tier-2. Good rifles, but not in the class of Colt, BCM, LMT, Noveske, and Daniel Defense. Definitely better than Bushmaster, Stag, DPMS, etc.

djmorris
06-03-12, 13:02
Isn't that one of their older models? Their newer models are pretty nice but still mid-tier. I wouldn't spend $700 on one of their older models. In fact, I'd pony up the extra couple hundred bones for the Pony (see what I did there? :D) or go BCM.... but that's just me...

Tier One Arms
06-03-12, 13:50
Just get what you want right from the get go.

SteveS
06-05-12, 20:11
The Colt is by far the best of the best AR I hope you would know why. Besides if I put a Colt and a Smith and a bushmaster vltor etc on a table and said pick one,,,, which would you pick? Colt and BCM are by far the top of the pack for quality of the commercial ARs.

badness
06-05-12, 20:24
I wouldn't bother with an "optics ready" rifle like that. That thing comes with a railed low profile gas block......so if you wanted to throw a railed handguard on it, you'd have to take the damn thing off anyways...on top of that they don't even give you the decency of a front sight post, meaning you'd have to buy both rear and front buis as well as optics. :suicide2:

Split66
06-05-12, 20:46
No matter what you say you are going to spend $100s and $100s on you AR "dressing it up" anyway. Buy what you want and be done :)

Kain
06-05-12, 20:54
I would hold out for a Colt or a rifle that is in the quality range. For a little more you could build a basic BCM, hell I just finished a BCM 'build' have ~$1050 in it, hell round up to $1100, if I didn't go with the BFH upper, ACS stock, MIAD grip, and the other items I wanted but didn't really need I could have knocked $250 off the price. In other words, you can have a kick ass rifle for not a whole hell of a lot more then you think. Also, owning a Bushmaster and a BCM and shooting them side by side, the BCM eats the Bushmaster's ass for lunch and is many times better. I can't imagine the Colt not being just as smooth and nice as my BCM, definitely worth the extra cash to buy complete.

luckybaer
06-05-12, 23:26
I own two Colts - basic LE6920 and LE6920SOCOM. They are both great rifles.

Go and get yourself a Colt. You won't have buyer's remorse.

hotbiggun42
06-05-12, 23:31
I am not a Colt fanboy but DSG arms has the Model 6720 on sale for $975.
I would not buy the SW OR rifle.

G-lock
06-06-12, 09:14
BCM/Colt/Noveske, then all others. M&P is not a bad start but there are clearly better options.

Tzook
06-06-12, 09:18
As said before, the better options are the tried and true, usual suspects. However, for a cheaper rifle, I think the M&P is probably the best you can do. Head and shoulders above the other guns at that price point. (It isn't junk!!!!!)