PDA

View Full Version : Got a price on a Colt 6920 from lgs

beerguy214
06-03-12, 16:59
Hey guys i am thinking of getting my first ar-15 and got a price from my lgs.They have 2 6920's 1 is 1099 and the other is 1299.The 1299 he said has the magpull.So without searching all the threads on which ar is better i know Colt has to be one of the best so i was thinking of the 1099 one is that a good price from a lgs?I don't buy off the internet i only buy from lgs.

hotbiggun42
06-03-12, 17:12
Yes that is a fair price for a local purchase.

BSWilson
06-03-12, 17:24
Local Wal-Mart, $1049 if I recall.

Put the extra savings toward a can if Federal XM855 while you're there.

ETA: Transfer & shipping might come in under sales tax though, so don't forget to consider that.

3 AE
06-03-12, 17:35
It was only a year and a half ago that a lot of 6920s were going for $1200 and up on the internet. Six months ago you could have gotten one off the internet for $950-$1000. They've started to creep back up into the $1050-$1100 range. So if you can get one at your LGS for $1099 not counting sales tax, I'd go for it. Also welcome to the forum.

luckybaer
06-03-12, 18:15
Wonder why the price is inching up?

filthy phil
06-03-12, 18:28
Local Wal-Mart, $1049 if I recall.

Put the extra savings toward a can if Federal XM855 while you're there.

ETA: Transfer & shipping might come in under sales tax though, so don't forget to consider that.

$1079 here in tomball tx wally world. i want:p

mkmckinley
06-03-12, 18:31
I'd pay the extra few buck just to avoid going to Walmart. $1099 is a good price.

SteadyUp
06-03-12, 18:35
Wonder why the price is inching up?

Upcoming presidential election.

Split66
06-03-12, 18:35
Walmarts price is $1097 as of Thursday last week but only 1 out of 30 Walmarts in this area are allowed to order them.

Ordered mine at the cool LGS for $1100, ran away from the rapist gunshop that wanted $1300.

eccollision
06-03-12, 19:04
its amazing how these prices keep going up

duece71
06-03-12, 19:30
its amazing how these prices keep going up

I am sure its a supply and demand thing too.

wingspar
06-03-12, 20:33
The $1099 is the one I would go with, and put the extra $200 towards ammo. Spend a while with the gun before you decide if you want/need to do any upgrades to get it to the $1299 gun. You may find out it is good to go as is. I have done nothing to mine except put ammo thru it.

feedramp
06-03-12, 21:55
^^^ That. Also, $1299 is a bit steep for the Magpul model imho, unless you know you want all their furniture on it. For around that price, you could put together something quite a bit nicer at G&R Tactical.

ETA: Not to mention in most cases at an LGS you would add sales tax on top of the selling price, which is often as much or more than shipping + transfer fee.

badness
06-03-12, 21:59
saving 50 bucks to buy from walmart instead of supporting your local gun shop is ridiculous.

xilni
06-03-12, 23:34
I've been trying to decide between the 6920 and 6940 for weeks now and it doesn't help that I'm having problems finding stores locally (MD) that have some in stock so I can feel the difference myself.

Any suggestions? I wouldn't be against road tripping it a few hours if it means handling one.

frogger
06-04-12, 01:41
saving 50 bucks to buy from walmart instead of supporting your local gun shop is ridiculous.

Agreed. I do buy ammo occasionally from them but that is mostly because with my work schedule (graveyard shift) it is hard to get by a LGS very often when they are open and I'm in Wally World at 3am grocery shopping once per week.

Split66
06-04-12, 08:53

Lol at this point my LGS can burn down for all I care for their rapist practices. :D

But I digress, before this turns into another Walmart 6920 thread OP go get your pony!

C4IGrant
06-04-12, 08:54
Upcoming presidential election.

Hard for dealers to get.

C4

luckybaer
06-04-12, 10:37
The 6920 is rock solid. I wouldn't pay $1,300, but I would pay a few bucks more than the WalMart price at the LGS if they can provide better service after the sale than WalMart. Plus, as long as the small business has prices that are reasonable and not gouging, I like to support them.

My LGStores have been great up front and great after the sale. They call me when they get a supply of things in that I want to buy. WalMart and Dick's have not done so in the past.

I've bought cheap target load shells at WalMart, and ammo at Dick's, but my firearms have been purchased from LGS.

Proconsul
06-04-12, 11:07
Walmarts price is $1097 as of Thursday last week but only 1 out of 30 Walmarts in this area are allowed to order them.

Ordered mine at the cool LGS for $1100, ran away from the rapist gunshop that wanted $1300.

Where is SE Pa? Have not been able to find one near Bristol.

RogerinTPA
06-04-12, 11:08
At my local range/gun store, the manager said, what they have in stock is what they'll have for a long time. Most gun makers are back ordered and currently not taking orders. Pre-election jitters have guns flying off the shelves and prices will continue to rise.

OP, that is a good price in both configurations. Pre Obama during the last election, $1250 was the floor for a 6920 and was considered a great price then. They went up to 2K+ as the election got closer. All things related: mags, ammo, spare parts, tripled and quadrupled in price during that same time frame. Buy now.

OkieOutlaw
06-04-12, 11:27
I can remember a few months back when I was in the same boat as you so to speak. I was seriously in the market for my first ar since my stint in the military some years back. I shopped several of my LGS's in the area and all only had RRA,Oly,DPMS and other assorted guns none of which seemed to be what I truly wanted, and all were priced way too high for my limited budget. Then one day while shopping at Wallyworld with the wife. I was in the sporting goods section looking at their abissmal choice of 223 ammo I saw her in the gun rack at the very reasonable price of 1,057 bucks plus tax of course. Needless to say I walked out of the store the very proud new owner of my very own LE6920 and two hundred rounds of Fed FMJ ammo to break her in with. Have not had a single regret with my purchase at all.

Proconsul
06-04-12, 11:44
At my local range/gun store, the manager said, what they have in stock is what they'll have for a long time. Most gun makers are back ordered and currently not taking orders. Pre-election jitters have guns flying off the shelves and prices will continue to rise.

OP, that is a good price in both configurations. Pre Obama during the last election, $1250 was the floor for a 6920 and was considered a great price then. They went up to 2K+ as the election got closer. All things related: mags, ammo, spare parts, tripled and quadrupled in price during that same time frame. Buy now.

I get the sense that it's slowing down. I was talking to my LGS owner, and he was saying that it was gangbusters until two weeks ago, when all of the sudden it was like someone turned off the tap.

I get the same sense watching the EE on TOS and the Pennsylvania boards. It feels like people are just running out of money in this economy. That's not to say that it won't run as the election gets closer, but I do we're going to see some bumps on the way.

I did my part for my local shop by walking out with two of his 6920MPs though.

C4IGrant
06-04-12, 12:06
I get the sense that it's slowing down. I was talking to my LGS owner, and he was saying that it was gangbusters until two weeks ago, when all of the sudden it was like someone turned off the tap.

I get the same sense watching the EE on TOS and the Pennsylvania boards. It feels like people are just running out of money in this economy. That's not to say that it won't run as the election gets closer, but I do we're going to see some bumps on the way.

I did my part for my local shop by walking out with two of his 6920MPs though.

Summer always slows down some.

C4

QuackXP
06-04-12, 17:29
If I found a 6920 locally for $1100 I would have bought it. But I did not so I put a back order in at DSGarms.com over two months ago and am picking it up at my local FFL in 15 minutes. Total cost after shipping and transfer $1027.

TexasSolo
06-04-12, 19:03
I've been trying to decide between the 6920 and 6940 for weeks now and it doesn't help that I'm having problems finding stores locally (MD) that have some in stock so I can feel the difference myself.

Any suggestions? I wouldn't be against road tripping it a few hours if it means handling one.

Back in the day when I lived in Md., this place had good people and fair prices.

http://www.mg42.org/The_Armory_.html

My more LGS had a bit better price, but said I had to fill out restricted paperwork. They were not even aware that the Clinton AWB had sun setted. The guys at The Armory got a good laugh out of that and said the they would compete with the price and had plenty of rifles in stock. I drove the hour to do business with folks who knew what they were doing.

Hope this helps.

Airhasz
06-05-12, 00:28
If I found a 6920 locally for $1100 I would have bought it. But I did not so I put a back order in at DSGarms.com over two months ago and am picking it up at my local FFL in 15 minutes. Total cost after shipping and transfer $1027.

Good price on a nice rifle....enjoy!

SteveS
06-05-12, 19:57
I do little business at the LGS, too expensive . The shop advertises keep the money local but I would rather keep savings in my pocket.