PDA

View Full Version : Carrier tilt blues :( I need help from YOU!

Nahway
06-03-12, 18:18
I have a Bushmaster gas piston... After 200 rounds shot through, I am noticing enough 'carrier tilt' to make me concerned.

What is the 100% worst case scenario with Carrier tilt? It destroys my lower reciever threads and I'll never be able to remove the buffer tube?

Is there a good way to minimize carrier tilt? Anything other than heavy oil and lubing in that area before shooting?

Also (sorry for a million questions), is there an aftermarket AR15 buffer assembly that I can buy that solves this problem? I know some independent people used to sell individually made custom buffers (that Seth guy) that worked awesome. Is there a legit established company that offers anti-tilt buffer assemblies that work?

All help appreciated.

J_Dub_503
06-03-12, 18:36
Your best option would be to pawn it off to someone else (with full disclosure of the problem) and let them deal with it. If the buffer tube is in sore shape you might want to replace it, purely for aesthetics, and fund yourself a non commercial grade AR.

Casull
06-03-12, 18:42
Contact Bushmaster to see what they do about it. That may be the cheapest way to get the ordeal squared away. Although, your gun isn't a quality piece either, sorry to say.

If you want to fix it there are Anti-tilt buffers out there, although I don't know anything about how well they work. There also are bolts on the market made to prevent the tilt but with how piston ARs are you'll find they all have somewhat proprietary parts; the bolts you might find may not work properly.

The bushmaster looks like an Adams Arms style piston. Does your bolt have skis on the back like this one? http://www.adamsarms.net/details.asp?sku=ASY%20Bolt%20Carrier

Personally I'd get rid of it and buy a BCM or Colt...

VIP3R 237
06-03-12, 18:45
If you want to keep this rifle here is a way to help alleviate your issues.

http://primaryweapons.com/store/m/viewprd.asp

This is the link for the 416 receiver extention, I cant get the correct link for the milspec to work. The milspec one is $99 vs $149 for the 416

JR TACTICAL
06-03-12, 18:47
I think the worst case is your carrier catches your buffer retaining pin and cracks your lower and then you will need to replace the lower.

Another option is to contact a company that specializes in piston ar's like lwrci or even sig and get one of those flared bolt carriers, i hear those are supposed to help with carrier tilt.

As always on this forum, piston guns don't get much support, which i completely agree with. As stated you may be best off by selling it to someone who absolutely MUST have a piston driven are and take the $$$ and get yourself a colt 6920 or similar which can be had for $1000 or less

Good luck with whatever you decided

Endur
06-03-12, 21:01
Bushmaster was your first mistake..

PWS makes a enhanced buffer tube assembly specific for gp ars. They run about 90-100 depending where you look. I would go with that if you want to keep that bushy. Otherwise go get yourself a bcm or dd ar.

ICANHITHIMMAN
06-03-12, 21:02
Sell it ASAP!

badness
06-03-12, 22:01
selling a gun because it's got problems is dumb and by knowingly ****ing someone over, you are an asshole. Send it back to the manufacturer and MAKE them fix it. It is their fault it's not working in the first place. Not some unsuspecting buyer's fault.

Casull
06-03-12, 22:46
selling a gun because it's got problems is dumb and by knowingly ****ing someone over, you are an asshole. Send it back to the manufacturer and MAKE them fix it. It is their fault it's not working in the first place. Not some unsuspecting buyer's fault.

I agree with this. Giving people ckrap can get them or someone else killed.

Cameron
06-03-12, 22:49
You only have one choice here, and that is to sell it and buy a well made direct impingement AR from a reputable manufacturer.

Cameron

Spot
06-03-12, 22:50

THIS^

GrumpyM4
06-03-12, 23:05
Worst case scenario is that your gas tube wears hard and it starts effecting function OR, the carrier tilts too much during the ulocking phase of the cycle and places extreme uneven stress between the bolt and bolt carrier, and shears bolt lugs in short order.

Have bushmaster replace your buffer tube and then get an anti-tilt buffer asap.

darwing31
06-04-12, 13:14

+1000. Some of you guys need an integrity check.

badness
06-04-12, 13:41

just wanted to add to this that the buffer wear MAY or MAY NOT be cause for concern. Many piston ar's often have carrier tilt up to a certain point, then stop. I would continue to shoot the rifle and see if the wear on the buffer continues to get worse. If you put 500 more rounds through it and continuously see the wear getting worse and worse, contact bushmaster and make them fix it.

J_Dub_503
06-04-12, 13:45
My previous post was not well worded and was taken out of context. I, in no way, support ****ing people over... especially when it can cause bodily harm or death. I edited my previous post to better reflect my thoughts.

The reason I say to sell it, again (with full disclosure), is because I've seen a similar situation that was not properly resolved by Bushmaster. A friend of a friend was having the same problem and Bushmaster basically swept him under the carpet. They had said that the problem was user error and that they would not repair the gun under warranty. They figured the damage was caused by the Spikes nickle boron BCG he swapped into the gun (which ran fine in his other AR's) and they would only repair the rifle on his dollar.

skullworks
06-04-12, 14:07
Contact Bushmaster to see what they do about it.
^ This. And if they won't do anything about it, sell it. But beware of:

digdug18
06-04-12, 15:18
Just sounds to me like another reason to stay away from gas piston systems.

doubleajaybrock
06-04-12, 15:24

+1 on this comment

Tzook
06-04-12, 15:42
Just sounds to me like another reason to stay away from gas piston systems.

To my knowledge, Adams Arms is the only company to actually have fixed the problem? I'm at around 2500 rounds and I haven't noticed any sort of tilt whatsoever.

AmmoUp
06-04-12, 17:50
I dont know I never had a problem with direct impingement

badness
06-04-12, 18:30
I dont know I never had a problem with direct impingement

then why did you bother posting in this thread?

JR TACTICAL
06-04-12, 19:06
[QUOTE=J_Dub_503;1320999]My previous post was not well worded and was taken out of context. I, in no way, support ****ing people over... especially when it can cause bodily harm or death. I edited my previous post to better reflect my thoughts.

My post as well, I in no way support selling people broken or problematic rifles. If the rifle must be sold, either replace the broken and damaged parts and let the buyer know of the situation prior to the sale so he is aware of the problems.

Sorry if my post was taken out of context

Nahway
06-05-12, 13:45
why don't they just make steel buffer tubes so it doesn't wear in the first place, let alone unevenly?

darwing31
06-05-12, 14:31
To my knowledge, Adams Arms is the only company to actually have fixed the problem? I'm at around 2500 rounds and I haven't noticed any sort of tilt whatsoever.

My Adams Arms kit had a little carrier tilt until I switch to the one piece carrier.

My Osprey kit has been good to go.

I believe the modern LWRC are also supposed to be fine. I guess I'll see when my rifle arrives.

badness
06-05-12, 17:04
My Adams Arms kit had a little carrier tilt until I switch to the one piece carrier.

My Osprey kit has been good to go.

I believe the modern LWRC are also supposed to be fine. I guess I'll see when my rifle arrives.

most companies have gotten it squared away for the most part. I believe even Ruger, whose had a lot of carrier tilt issues when they first released their SR556, have resolved that problem.

bobsolla
06-05-12, 17:24
i would also contact bushmaster with emailed photos of the tilt problem.it is their baby per say!i`m sorry i don`t know of any anti-tilt buffers i could recommend, as i`ve never had an issue with my gas piston adcor defense bear elite upper.it has a operating rod that channels through the hand rail,so it doesn`t create a tilt issue because it stays aligned.i`ve seen some bcg that are rounded on the tail end,ramped,and even a polymer end cap to prevent tilt.like some have stated,after 500 rounds or so,if the wear continues,then contact bushmaster!best of luck!

SteveS
06-05-12, 19:44
Bushmaster quality???

SteveS
06-05-12, 19:46
+1 on this comment
But then bushmaster sold it with conscience.