PDA

View Full Version : Bes t CCW holster option for Glock 27 during active stuff

Devildawg2531
06-03-12, 20:36
I've got a few of the off the shelf holsters but haven't found a great / secure option for CCW during family activities. Today I took the kids on a hike and bike ride in typical Georgia summer casual attire (shorts and a tee shirt). During stuff like this I usually put the G27 and a mag in a Nike fanny pouch that is covered by my tee shirt (chamber unloaded) - I know this is isn't ideal and it would take a couple of seconds to access and make ready - but I haven't found a better option that is concealed / secure and comfortable. What are you using to carry during active family stuff?

TapRackBang20
06-03-12, 20:47
These guys:

http://crossbreedholsters.com/

Both the Supertuck and the Minituck offer excellent concealment and are hands down the most comfortable IWB I have ever tried. Both Full size and compact pistols do great in these. Plus, you have the option to tuck in your shirt around them if you so choose, which sometimes actually helps concealment, especially when I have my full size M&P. Kydex completely shrouds the trigger and trigger guard. While it doesn't have active retention, the belt you use to keep it in place provides good enough retention that I have never had a pistol slip out of one whether running, jumping, you name it. Price is competitive (plus they have a NRA discount) and on top of all that they are downright nice folks.

Tomahawk_Ghost
06-03-12, 21:02
http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterPT3.asp?ProductID=4107&CatalogID=7

I have one of these and carry my Glock 27 and 22 in it. Good holster. The other one I have for the G27 is a Blade-Tech IWB holster. It's good, the Galco is a little more comfortable.

A little cheaper option with better delivery time is this one.

Delta One
06-03-12, 21:32
I've never heard of crossbreed, definitely going to order one and check it out, thanks!

Personally I've been using Raven Concealment for a long while now. I would recommend them but I got mine before the astronomical long wait time. I hear it's around 3 months currently, but I also saw that they offer pre-made holsters that ship much faster.

If you can wait, they're worth it in my opinion. Great retention.

madisonsfinest
06-03-12, 21:40
I've really liked the Talon Plus by Alessi. I used it with my 27 when I had one. Very comfortable.

http://shop.alessigunholsters.com/Items/talon%20plus%20glock?&caSKU=talon%20plus%20glock&caTitle=Alessi%20Holsters%20Talon%20Plus%20Holster%20for%20Glock%20Guns

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d14/MaDiSoNsFiNeSt/3d33af34.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d14/MaDiSoNsFiNeSt/IMG_2584.jpg

tuck
06-03-12, 22:54
I bought a CCC shaggy for my G26 from a member here and have been very impressed with the retention. If you're not comfortable with AIWB, a hybrid leather/kydex holster would probably be a safe bet.

Devildawg2531
06-05-12, 08:11
These guys:

http://crossbreedholsters.com/

Both the Supertuck and the Minituck offer excellent concealment and are hands down the most comfortable IWB I have ever tried. Both Full size and compact pistols do great in these. Plus, you have the option to tuck in your shirt around them if you so choose, which sometimes actually helps concealment, especially when I have my full size M&P. Kydex completely shrouds the trigger and trigger guard. While it doesn't have active retention, the belt you use to keep it in place provides good enough retention that I have never had a pistol slip out of one whether running, jumping, you name it. Price is competitive (plus they have a NRA discount) and on top of all that they are downright nice folks.

TapRack - thanks for sending the link to the crossbreed website. I've never heard of of Crossbreed holsters but looking at their website the Supertuck may be what i need. Leaning towards the horsehide version. Also it appears the same version would fit my G22, G24 and G27 if I'm reading their site correctly.

nigreen
06-05-12, 08:48
+1 on the Crossbreed.

I went with the horsehide and the combat cut and never looked back. If you want to save a couple of bucks, it is easy to do the combat cut yourself. I don't have a cowhide holster to compare, but the horse hide has been very durable and comfortable.

bikerdog
06-05-12, 12:02
I hike and mountain bike a lot. And I also own a bunch of holsters. While I love the crossbreed, for day to day edc its really great. I have found IWB holsters don't work great for hiking biking. My current favorite for hiking/mountain biking is the raven concealment and or bravo concealment kydex OWB.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Tomahawk_Ghost
06-05-12, 12:55
I forgot about Theis holsters. Have a friend that has one and he likes it a lot.

http://theisholsters.com/

Not my video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqHIKNeDkrA

Steamboat Bill
06-05-12, 15:29
For me, I find the Crossbreed Supertuck (horsehide) okay, but it is a lot of leather/bulk up against the skin when doing active stuff like you are talking about. Plus, it takes awhile and some effort to get rid of the squeek (Google it) which can be rather loud and annoying. It also didn't conceal as well for me, because in order for the kydex body mouth to sit above my belt/shorts top (so as to allow easy reholstering) I had to ride the gun higher than I like to carry it. I did keep the holster, though, and use it every now and then. It takes awhile to get it off and on, too, compared to:

The one I like best is the RM (Rocketman) Holsters Lowrider. It is all kydex, no bigger on your body than the gun itself, lightning fast to put on/take off, and rides at the perfect height to make the G27 completely disappear. Some people feel it rides too low to get a good grip for good solid fast draw. I use GAP baseplates (concealable control) on my G27 mags, so that helps alleviate this concern for me and really helps with the grip and draw.

The Lowrider is slightly less comfortable where the kydex touches the body. Overall, though, I find it more comfortable after a long day because it is much less material overall against my skin. I'm out in the Texas heat all day sometimes, and that Supertuck starts to feel like a snow parka after awhile for me.

RagweedZulu
06-07-12, 20:01
From one Devil Dog to another, you might look into the Mamba by Concealment Solutions. Jason Christiansen is a great guy and gives each holster his personal attention.

The design of the Mamba is better than the Supertuck, and best of all, its cheaper and he'll get it out to you right away.

I was a Crossbreed fan until I discovered the Mamba.

SWATcop556
06-07-12, 22:44
I use a RCS for my G26 without issues. I've been in several scrapes and foot chases with it and it's GTG.

I've heard good things about PSS holsters as well and people I trust recommend them so they are topping my very short list of "next purchase" gear.

zibby43
06-07-12, 22:49
When I secure my G26 in my Raven Phantom it locks up tight. Absolutely no movement. Rides close to the body. I have 4 Raven holsters currently

ra2bach
06-07-12, 23:55
for Kydex IWB, what do people find most comfortable - the two-piece riveted style with wide wings like Raven? or the taco-style with a more narrow profile like the bladetech?

edit: rather than trash this thread, I started a separate thread for this topic...

Devildawg2531
06-08-12, 18:24
for Kydex IWB, what do people find most comfortable - the two-piece riveted style with wide wings like Raven? or the taco-style with a more narrow profile like the bladetech?

edit: rather than trash this thread, I started a separate thread for this topic...

ra2bach - no problem; I'm learning more about good holster options for activities and am going to buy a couple of these.

Devildawg2531
06-15-12, 20:25
From one Devil Dog to another, you might look into the Mamba by Concealment Solutions. Jason Christiansen is a great guy and gives each holster his personal attention.

The design of the Mamba is better than the Supertuck, and best of all, its cheaper and he'll get it out to you right away.

I was a Crossbreed fan until I discovered the Mamba.

Ragweed - Appreciate the advice on the Mamba by Concealment solutions. I got the horsehide / kydex version today abd wore it with the G27 all day and it is the most comfortable IWB holster I've ever worn.
Semper Fi Devil Dog!

HardToHandle
06-24-12, 22:40
Google "Kelty Military Tactical Sling Bag" - this might be a potential solution. I wear this on a mountain bike. It looks a little granola-y

I used a Survival Sheath Kydex chest holster for years, but the profile would be real obvious under a t-shirt in Georgia summer heat.

I also used a fugly ActionDirect chest pack in kayaks, canoes and bikes for a number of years. It was a big black nylon case across the chest that looked like a fanny pack on the nipple line. Super fast and secure, but I felt like I was wearing a neon-green Glock t-shirt - quite obviously a holster.

If you like IWB, I've been impressed with the stability from Dale Fricke's near-centerline kydex holsters. IWB works for me on shorter, family-type rides where there isn't an off-road or curb jumping aspect.

packinaglock
06-25-12, 19:56
For me, I find the Crossbreed Supertuck (horsehide) okay, but it is a lot of leather/bulk up against the skin when doing active stuff like you are talking about. Plus, it takes awhile and some effort to get rid of the squeek (Google it) which can be rather loud and annoying. It also didn't conceal as well for me, because in order for the kydex body mouth to sit above my belt/shorts top (so as to allow easy reholstering) I had to ride the gun higher than I like to carry it. I did keep the holster, though, and use it every now and then. It takes awhile to get it off and on, too, compared to:

The one I like best is the RM (Rocketman) Holsters Lowrider. It is all kydex, no bigger on your body than the gun itself, lightning fast to put on/take off, and rides at the perfect height to make the G27 completely disappear. Some people feel it rides too low to get a good grip for good solid fast draw. I use GAP baseplates (concealable control) on my G27 mags, so that helps alleviate this concern for me and really helps with the grip and draw.

The Lowrider is slightly less comfortable where the kydex touches the body. Overall, though, I find it more comfortable after a long day because it is much less material overall against my skin. I'm out in the Texas heat all day sometimes, and that Supertuck starts to feel like a snow parka after awhile for me.

+1 on the RM Lowrider.

i303
06-26-12, 01:22
I'm another one who'd vote for a Crossbreed (or Kingtuk) even for activities.

I wear mine daily, sun up to sun down, but here in AZ I have to wear an undershirt (wife-beater style) which helps in between skin and leather.

Another option to a Kelty would be a 5.11 Moab 10. I have a single sling style and you can wear it in a manner where you swing it to draw accross your chest and it's ideal for hiking/extended use.

It's an acceptable macho murse (man purse)..... or satchel if you've seen The Hangover.

But it's definitely tactical looking which could be a drawback as far as concealability, but everybody has molle straps and velcro on back packs now.

http://milspecmonkey.com/weargear/packsbags/370-511-rush-moab-10

richiecotite
06-26-12, 09:15
another option might be the N82 'professional' model. Saw their booth at a gunshow, and it looked like a good design. I've been using mine (original model) for about 3-4 months, and i can honestly say it's the most comfortable holster i've ever used. Retention is good considering the pouch that holds the gun is neoprene and the pro model should be better as it uses a kydex like material, it conceals well, and is competitively priced.

www.n82tactical.com

RagweedZulu
06-27-12, 09:24
Hey boys, DevilDawg got himself a Black Mamba from Concealment Solutions. I'll echo his opinion that it is the most comfortable IWB holster I've ever used, and I have a box FULL of them from almost every maker.

Call Jason and give em a try. You won't regret it.