PDA

View Full Version : CMC Trigger = GREAT

Spot
06-03-12, 21:41
Bought an LMT Defender 2000 AR-15 in 5.56mm back in March of this year. Great rifle, solid quality. But, I hated the trigger. Granted, I am new to the AR-15, and maybe a heavy, long, gritty, creepy trigger is just fine for the majority of soldiers in harm's way, but I just hated the feel of it from day one.

Took the trigger group out, cleaned & lubricated it really well, reinstalled it, boosted the trigger a half a million times (poor man's trigger job), and then cleaned & lubed it again. Trigger was better but not by much. Still pretty rough by any standard. Kinda made the rifle feel cheap, even though I know it's very well-made overall.

Did a little research, and decided on a CMC single stage trigger group with a 3.5 pound pull and a curved trigger(#CMC91501). Only problem was that, all the places that sold them for the best price were always out of stock. Day after day, week after week, I kept checking but no love. Finally, I got super lucky when Stanley at HamLund Tactical agreed to sell me one that he had set aside for a build. Total cost, $153.99 with no tax and including free shipping to my door.

Well, all I can say is that this trigger is buttery-smooth and perfectly controllable. My brain makes the decision to fire, and the bullet is automatically on it's way to the bullseye. . . as natural as blinking your eye. Before I installed this trigger, I struggled to make precision shots with this rifle. Now the trigger is damnear as nice as my Les Baer 1911 and my tricked-out CZ SP-01 racegun. The CZ actually came with a trigger just as horrible as the LMT did, and it ended up costing me a pretty penny to bring it up to this level (not to mention the downtime of sending it out and waiting for the work). . . but the CMC trigger was downright cheap, and installation took less than 5 minutes from start to finish.

I couldn't be happier. Now I enjoy my rifle far more without having to be distracted by that "rusty" pull it had before. To me, a great trigger is one that doesn't call your attention to it either way. I want to think about the shot, not the hardware. . . and in that regard, this trigger just disappears. Beautiful peice, two thumbs up.

feedramp
06-03-12, 21:52
I believe I saw CMC triggers in the Midway Father's Day advert this weekend. I hadn't heard of them before that, so reading this was a neat coincidence.

SteveL
06-03-12, 22:01
What made you decide on that trigger over a model from Geissele?

Stickman
06-03-12, 22:28
I've got a CMC that I like, but I need to get more rounds through it. I'm not a big fan of oversize pins, but the feel of it is pretty good so far.

wahoo95
06-03-12, 22:30
I had a CMC trigger a few years back. Worked well and I loved the single stage crisp break. Kinda wish I had it back.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Spot
06-03-12, 22:45
What made you decide on that trigger over a model from Geissele?

The price, the reviews, the simplicity/non-adjustability, the pull-weight, and the antiwalk C-clips on the pins.

VIP3R 237
06-04-12, 00:00
The price, the reviews, the simplicity/non-adjustability, the pull-weight, and the antiwalk C-clips on the pins.

Thanks for the review. ive been struggling with a new trigger trying to decide if a geissele is the trigger for me, for I am not a big fan of two stage triggers and its nice to see a viable single stage alternative. I do wonder about the longevity on this trigger.

Spot
06-04-12, 00:17
. . . its nice to see a viable single stage alternative. I do wonder about the longevity on this trigger.

I can't tell you firsthand about the ultimate longevity of this trigger until I have another 30-40,000 rounds down the pipe, but my strong impression is that it is a first-quality piece of kit.

Read this:
http://www.cmctriggers.com/Tech.html

and call "David" at CMC Triggers with your concerns at:
(830) 522-7706

He's busy making triggers, and he's not a time-wasting chatterbox on the telephone, but he is SUPER helpful and patient about answering any and all of your questions in detail and in full. I spoke to him at least 3 times, and he really knows his triggers.

VIP3R 237
06-04-12, 00:48
Thanks for the info, ill research it some more. I do like the look of the flat trigger.

Spot
06-04-12, 02:15
Thanks for the info, ill research it some more. I do like the look of the flat trigger.

David at CMC prefers the flat trigger & recommends it. He said he likes to index the pad of his trigger finger at the little angled leg at the bottom. I chose the curved one for a more traditional look. Both are said to have the same service-life as a traditional AR trigger.

danish
06-04-12, 16:10
I have been looking at these for a while. I have a Jard in my three-gun set-up but don't feel it's robust enough for a HD gun. The CMC looks like it might be up to it. I look forward to a multiple thousand round review...

bullittmcqueen
06-04-12, 21:06
I love how this trigger feels as well. Jury is still out on how it stacks up against my Geissele though.

Here is part 1 of an install and first impression I did on the CMC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4Ktx8PkH1w&list=PLA8EF84B9B92EAAAB&index=1&feature=plpp_video

Part 2 will entail range abuse.

Spot
06-05-12, 07:16
For those that are not familiar with the term "boosting" a trigger, aka "a poor man's trigger job"; it is when you put forward pressure on the hammer with your free hand as you repeatedly pull the trigger (usually when you do this, you completely capture the hammer in your free hand as it breaks, rather than letting it dry-fire). It accelerates the wearing-in or smoothing of the hammer-to-sear contact surfaces, and will oftentimes greatly inprove an otherwise gritty trigger.

When I boosted the original brand-new trigger in my LMT, I could feel a certain amount of "yield" or "give" as the mating surfaces rubbed tightly against each other, and clearly wore-in together. Not so with the CMC trigger. When I tried boosting the CMC trigger, it was extremely hard, buttery-smooth, and solid. No sense of yield whatsoever.

For what it's worth, my impression is that it will hold up for a LONG, long time.

titanse05
06-05-12, 10:06
I have a CMC 3-3.5lb curved trigger installed on my 16" carbine and it is indeed a great single stage trigger. I bought it new from a member of another forum I frequent for $80. I opted to use KNS anti-rotation pins for the install instead of the supplied pins/clips simply because it looks better.

This year I took delivery of a Rainier Arms RUC 14.5" LW equipped with a Geissele SSA and I have to say that it is even better than the CMC. The first time I pulled the trigger on my RUC I was grinning from ear-to-ear.

curtpenn
06-07-12, 20:37
I installed a straight trigger version a few weeks ago. Only have maybe 200 rounds through it so far, but I absolutely love it. Got it on sale from Midway. Installed in just a few minutes with zero problems. Couldn't ask for more.