PDA

View Full Version : AR lower...

chuckman
06-04-12, 04:27
...get rid of it or shoot the shit out of it? I got a new-to-me AR. The upper is good to go. The lower is a Double Star. I know they are 'so-so,' but I also know that most lowers are within spec and are OK for what they do. Should I invest the dough in a 'better' lower, or keep it and just shoot the hell out of it?

GeorgiaBoy
06-04-12, 04:33
If everything fits... Shoot it

MistWolf
06-04-12, 05:30
Go shoot it. If it works, go shoot more. Lowers when properly made are functionally the same

Army Chief
06-04-12, 06:21
Given the times we're living in, and the larger political situation right now, I'm pretty much in the "retain all lowers" mode these days. It's not outside of the realm of possibility that they simply won't be available a year from now; especially if we end up with a lame-duck/second-term Obama presidency. This is by no means an affront to our chief executive, but the administration's position is fairly clear on what they would like to see done on the question of military-style semiautomatic rifles.

Same goes for magazines, quite honestly. Some of us remember May of 1986 just a bit too well.

AC

The_War_Wagon
06-04-12, 06:50
Same goes for magazines, quite honestly. Some of us remember May of 1986 just a bit too well.

And February of '94. :(

djmorris
06-04-12, 07:08
You could always buy a matching lower for the upper to have a complete one of whatever manufacturer it is, and peace of mind. I've seen/heard of failures or out of spec lowers but it seems rare unless it was assembled by a monkey. However, I'd still keep the DoubleStar lower for reasons already mentioned above.

htomeheb
06-04-12, 07:32
The only time an non name brand lower is gonna hurt you is if its not in spec (this one seems to be?) - and if you try to resell it later.

SA80Dan
06-04-12, 09:48
Agree with everybody else. If its in spec and works, its good to go. Invest the dough in something else more worthwhile.

SteveS
06-05-12, 20:38
If the lower works it is good to go. The upper assembly is the important part .