PDA

View Full Version : Best cot for camping

hotbiggun42
06-04-12, 12:58
My son is off to boy scout summer camp soon and I was thinking about buying him a cot this year. What are some good options for a fold up to carry on a backpack cot? Price is a consideration.

ra2bach
06-04-12, 13:51
you want him to be able to pack this? I don't know of any that are packable - at least easily. in that case I would look at a hammock or my favorite, an inflatable air mattress...

I use two, depending... one is a 2.5" Big Agnes AirCore for summer and light hikes. small pack size and light weight this fits the light bag/bivy concept well but is not .

the "Cadillac" is a 3.5" Exped Synmat 9. it is wider/thicker and is filled with synthetic insulation with an R-value of 6, which makes it warmer in cold weather. I sleep like a baby on this...

Gadsden11
06-04-12, 19:00
I have a fantastic cot from Cabelas. The thing is bomb proof and comfortable. That being said I use that only when carrying it is not going to be farther than a hundred yards or so. The thing is heavy!! Backpack camping I use a thermarest pad, and they are great.
http://m.backcountry.com/therm-a-rest-trail-pro-sleeping-pad
Pretty sure that is the one I have.

hotbiggun42
06-04-12, 22:12
you want him to be able to pack this? I don't know of any that are packable - at least easily. in that case I would look at a hammock or my favorite, an inflatable air mattress...

I use two, depending... one is a 2.5" Big Agnes AirCore for summer and light hikes. small pack size and light weight this fits the light bag/bivy concept well but is not .

the "Cadillac" is a 3.5" Exped Synmat 9. it is wider/thicker and is filled with synthetic insulation with an R-value of 6, which makes it warmer in cold weather. I sleep like a baby on this...

They have a cot at sportsmans wholesale that breaks down and uses pole simular to a tent but I wasn't sure about the quality and neither was the salesman on duty at the time.
I think I will check into the self inflating sleeping pads that you are reccomending.

kmrtnsn
06-04-12, 23:41
You'd be better off buying him a Therm-a-rest pad, and not a cot. Cots are a pain to tote around and set up but a pad on the other hand is compact and can make an improvement to any sleeping area.

lunchbox
06-04-12, 23:52
Is a Hammock out? depending on the setup of the camp/trip/etc.. they have every thing to traditional hammock (dont forget the net!!) to hammock tents. Just a thought.

n517rv
06-05-12, 07:16
OP, I would highly recommend a packable air mattress as well. If cots are already provided for them at camp he could just lay it on top, if needed. Plus he would be able to use it much more often than a cot.

I've been very happy with my Therm-A-Rest NeoAir.

Someone mentioned Big Agnes - Campmor is having a sale on those:
http://www.campmor.com/gear/sleeping-gear/big-agnes-sleeping-pads-air-beds-8.shtml?cm_cat=TRAILMAIL&cm_ite=TrailMail-June52012&cm_pla=47340&cm_ven=EMAIL

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE using Tapatalk 2

Watrdawg
06-05-12, 11:55
ThermaRest and similar pads are the way to go. Packing a cot would create needless weight.

ra2bach
06-06-12, 10:58
Is a Hammock out? depending on the setup of the camp/trip/etc.. they have every thing to traditional hammock (dont forget the net!!) to hammock tents. Just a thought.

I mentioned the hammock earlier and I specifically had the Hennessey hammock in mind but they can be pricey (good stuff always is)...

since he is looking at this for his son, they make a Scout model that is a little shorter and is currently on sale :cool:

http://www.rei.com/product/799604/hennessy-hammock-scout-classic-hammock

Watrdawg
06-06-12, 11:01
I've got a question. Most Scout summer camps I've been to the scouts stay in either tents they set up at the camp or cabins of some type. Is this what is happening in this case or not?

HES
06-07-12, 10:15
I've got a question. Most Scout summer camps I've been to the scouts stay in either tents they set up at the camp or cabins of some type. Is this what is happening in this case or not?
Beat me to it. Im currently a boy scout leader. I've not run into a summer camp program that didn't have cots and tents for the visiting troops. You can check out the web site for the camp and see what sort of tents / clots they have there. Youtube is also a great place to see the camp. A lot of scout masters love filming the camp and posting the videos.

Having said that some of the cots at these camps ain't the best. As others have said, a sleeping pad will be your best bet / investment. You lay it on top of the cot.

I love my Big Agnes. It is the most comfortable sleeping pad I have ever had. I've got back issues and never had a bad nights sleep on mine. It is uber light and very packable.

I will also disagree with the Big Agnes for your son for a couple of reasons. They are expensive. They are IMO overkill for boys. It sounds like this is your sons first summer camp / year in scouting. So he's 11 years old? Maybe made tenderfoot? Weighs less than 100 lbs? Save your money. Run to Walmart and buy him an inflatable camping / sleeping pad from there. Let him trash that and be out only $20.

Now if your son's troop will eventually be going primitive camping when he gets older / big enough, then I would invest in a Big Agnes, but that will be a couple of years down the road when he is 13 or 14 and at least Star rank.

BTW, which camp is your son going to? We head out to Camp Rainey Mountain in Georgia in a couple of weeks.

hotbiggun42
06-07-12, 11:39

He has his own 2 man tent he uses for scout campouts. They will supply loaner tents if the boys need them but never cots.
On this campout they will be staying in large tents and while he can just use his sleeping bag and a self inflating mat like he has been since he started I thought it would be nice to make it a little more comfortable for him. He is 15 and he is on track to being a Eagle Scout.
He has an outstanding Troop leader and they have camping trips throughout the year. I am not too involved except financially and I help with fund raisers.
We live in the Pacific Northwest and I am not sure which camp they will be at this summer. When I find out I will post it here.
Thanks for all of the good suggestions. Sonds like the Big Agnes would be a good purchase.

ra2bach
06-09-12, 14:59
He has his own 2 man tent he uses for scout campouts. They will supply loaner tents if the boys need them but never cots.
On this campout they will be staying in large tents and while he can just use his sleeping bag and a self inflating mat like he has been since he started I thought it would be nice to make it a little more comfortable for him. He is 15 and he is on track to being a Eagle Scout.
He has an outstanding Troop leader and they have camping trips throughout the year. I am not too involved except financially and I help with fund raisers.
We live in the Pacific Northwest and I am not sure which camp they will be at this summer. When I find out I will post it here.
Thanks for all of the good suggestions. Sonds like the Big Agnes would be a good purchase.

I think a cot would be ideal in this circumstance. it gives added comfort, gets him off the ground for moisture and insects, and gives room to store gear underneath.

my only question was when you mentioned packing it in. I don't know of any cots that I'd want to pack any distance. if this was just a few hundred yards from the car to the already setup cabin-style tent, then yeah, a cot is best. if this is a hiking camp out, then a good air mattress is the only way to go.

if he already has, as you say, a self-inflating sleep pad, then a good air mattress like the Exped, Big Agnes, or others would be a big step up. thickness matters...

TN_Warrior
06-14-12, 19:06
Wow I never new pads cost so much. I never carried my due to not wanting the weight.

PlatoCATM
06-14-12, 20:03
Luxury Lite (http://www.cabelas.com/cots-luxury-lite-ul-cot-8482.shtml?WT.tsrc=CSE&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=747290&rid=40&mr:trackingCode=F38F9052-F5D2-DF11-82EF-001B21631C34&mr:referralID=NA&mr:adType=pla&mr:ad=5855053944&mr:keyword=%7Bkeyword%7D). Awesome looking cot, but unrealistically expensive.

I would say an inflatable mat is the better choice for backpacking.

kaiservontexas
06-14-12, 21:00
NATO sleeping pad. I love that thing, and it has held up very well for me. It also does not weight a ton.

What would be a good hammock? I need to invest in one.

mallowpufft
06-14-12, 21:33
I use a 3/4 length thermarest or a backpacking hammock. Not so wonderful in a stationary tent but darn handy for if they were to do any hiking in and primitive camping.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I847 using Tapatalk 2

usmcvet
06-15-12, 06:14
http://www.luxurylite.com/cover.htm

This looks interesting but expensive. Buy him a good therma rest, I have one that is about 20 years old. I'm not a hardcore camper or back packer, it is the 3/4 length unit and it packs up small for backpacking. If I aslo have one of the larger, longer thicker therma rest pads but it is huge and better for car camping, it does not pack down small.

We used this cot for the kids, again VERY HEAVY good for car camping.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/735034.uts

I use this cot with the foam pad

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Camping/Cots-Pads-Beds/Cots%7C/pc/104795280/c/104712480/sc/104280480/Cabelas-Outfitter-XL-Cot-with-Cot-Side-Nightstand8482/746162.uts?destination=/catalog/browse/camping-cots-pads-beds-cots/_/N-1100677/Ns-CATEGORY_SEQ_104280480

This pad

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Camping/Cots-Pads-Beds/Sleeping-Pads%7C/pc/104795280/c/104712480/sc/104484780/Cabelas-Deluxe-Camp-Bed-150-3034-x-6834-x-334/732379.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fcamping-cots-pads-beds-sleeping-pads%2F_%2FN-1100678%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104484780%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253BBRprd746162%253Bcat104712480

Someone already mentioned this unit

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Camping/Cots-Pads-Beds/Sleeping-Pads%7C/pc/104795280/c/104712480/sc/104484780/Therma-A-Rest-Neo-Air-Trekker-Pads/1195880.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fcamping-cots-pads-beds-sleeping-pads%2F_%2FN-1100678%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104484780%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253BBRprd746162%253Bcat104712480

I like that it's made in America.

Weaver
06-15-12, 12:56
This cot is about the only thing I'd consider for backpacking ...
http://www.boundarywaterscatalog.com/browse.cfm/4,7475.html

But, I'd also want a Thermarest - and the Thermarest is good enough by itself, assuming you have some sort of cloth between you and the ground.

The cot can be very useful in some limited conditions - very wet soil, some bug conditions, etc - but Thermarest is the way to go all around.

usmcvet
06-15-12, 21:11
This cot is about the only thing I'd consider for backpacking ...
http://www.boundarywaterscatalog.com/browse.cfm/4,7475.html

That thing looks awesome! I might have to try it.

rosalind
06-16-12, 08:27
My son is off to boy scout summer camp soon and I was thinking about buying him a cot this year. What are some good options for a fold up to carry on a backpack cot? Price is a consideration.

When purchasing camping cots, ensure that it is light, compact, adaptable for storage and can easily be set up and decimate. Now a days camping cots come with wheels for easy conveying. I recommend it is good to have some padding locate tent cot on the legs.