PDA

View Full Version : glock still cranking out gen 3's?

kenndapp
06-04-12, 16:40
It seems glock is still cranking out gen3's,they are still available from all the major distributors. How long do think glock will continue to make gen 3's before they completely faze them in out to focus only on gen4's? Does any body remember how long gen3's were around before they couldn't find a gen2 any more?

I ask because I want to purchase a new gen3. With glock going through all the revision of parts on problem gen3's and 4's it seems they are finally getting it together, so my plan was to wait a bit to purchase an gen3 g17....with the ultimate goal being to get the latest manufactured gen3 17 that I could.......that way I could almost ensure that I would receive a problem free gen3 with all the "bugs worked out". It would contain the latest revision of "problem" parts IE..... extractor and ejector.

Sound like a good plan? I just don't want to wait to long and not be able to find a new gen3. Although gen4's seem to be problem free now, I am much more comfortable and accustomed to the gen3, hence....this post. What are your thoughts? Thank you everyone.

Evan_O
06-04-12, 17:07
I think they will be making them for the foreseeable future. Glock has made no indication so far they're reading to discontinue them and they still have some pretty big contracts for the gen3 model. Just my opinion...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Delta One
06-04-12, 18:33
I agree, there are plenty of examples of the Gen 3s actively being used and sought after.

My work issued the Gen 3 21sf, even the old Gen 3s are getting reconditioned and reissued for use, only when we're completely dry will we start ordering the Gen 4. So there will be a ton of Gen 3s on the market for a very long time.

With that said the Gen 4 feels a lot more comfortable for me, it would be worth it for you to definitely check them out over the Gen 3, as they are super easy to get accustomed to IMO.

VIP3R 237
06-04-12, 18:39
I feel the gen 3 will be available until sales drop off enough from the gen 4.

plouffedaddy
06-04-12, 19:00
I feel the gen 3 will be available until sales drop off enough from the gen 4.

I agree; they're still backordered so demand is there....

djmorris
06-05-12, 07:30
Just put a brand new Glock 19 Gen 3 on layaway. I think they'll still be making them for at least 3-4 years.

DocGKR
06-05-12, 09:12
Doesn't seem to make much difference in terms of reliability any more, as the gen 3 G17/G19's are now having as many problems as the gen 4's...

kenndapp
06-05-12, 09:21
is apex kit available yet? i would feel much more comfortable buying a glock right now if i knew that apex had my back.

brickboy240
06-05-12, 11:21
Yep, they still make them and they will bean your head with brass just like their 4th gen cousins.

I am living proof of that.

Until they really get this ejection issue squared away...I'd avoid all newer made 9mm Glocks.

- brickboy240

C4IGrant
06-05-12, 11:36
is apex kit available yet? i would feel much more comfortable buying a glock right now if i knew that apex had my back.

Not yet.

C4

kenndapp
06-05-12, 11:47
I am really hoping Apex swoops in to save the day here.

brickboy240
06-05-12, 12:19
If you peruse the threads on the Apex part of this board, they ARE working on it like mad. Since Apex seems to have fixed the M&P's demons...I am sure that Mr. Lee will remedy the newer 9mm Glock's warts as well.

It seems as if they want to make sure they have a real good fix that runs 100% before releasing it. Imagine if Glock did this before they went to the MIM extractors and the gen4 guns?

...fingers crossed.

With proper ejection...my G19 will be golden and then I will start modding it with Vickers parts and DeFoor sights but I have to have 100% function before I start that.

The bad thing is that I have noticed that I sometimes develop a "flinch" while shooting the G19 that I don't have with my old Hi-Power or P228 (that do not fling brass at my head, ever). That is simply not a good thing to develop.

I was also hoping that maybe...just maybe the ejection problems would go away when I got closer to 1000k rounds but that has yet to happen.

I want my giving up on the 9mm Glock platform to be the LAST THING I do.....really! LOL

sgtjosh
06-05-12, 12:28
The Gen 4 is a LEO only item in California. The Gen 3 is their only option in the huge consumer marker known as The Peoples Republik of Kalifornastan.

DocDorle
06-05-12, 13:35
What difference does it make what everybody thinks? Glock will quit making them when they quit making them.