PDA

View Full Version : M&Ps on sale $399 New

JML2321
06-05-12, 00:44
Saw this deal thought you guys would want to know.
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/firearms/gun-sale.html

Triple Bravo
06-05-12, 04:51
Thanks for the heads up....sweet price!

RCI1911
06-05-12, 06:36
Darn just bought a used full size...wish I would have waited a couple more days I would have picked up another 9c.

pr1042
06-05-12, 10:45
Wonder if this means the current production will now have the "new" trigger

5pins
06-05-12, 10:49
Wonder if this means the current production will now have the "new" trigger

I was having the same thought. Maybe they are dumping old stock before they bring out the redesigned ones.

brickboy240
06-05-12, 11:18
$399 then add another 100 for the Apex trigger and another $150 or so for the barrel so it will group right.

Suddenly....it is not really a bargain...is it?

I really like the feel of the M&P and if Smith ever gets the trigger and accuracy problems licked, they will rule the polymer striker pistol market.

- brickboy240

snackgunner
06-05-12, 11:22
PSA has free shipping on all items also.

avengd7x
06-05-12, 11:23
$399 then add another 100 for the Apex trigger and another $150 or so for the barrel so it will group right.

- brickboy240

the stock trigger honestly isn't bad. I have a sample size of one, but it has a clean break and audible reset. The break is as good or better than my glocks, and frankly an audible reset is unnecessary to me.

brickboy240
06-05-12, 11:34
Really? They must have fixed it.

I borrowed and shot both a 45 and full-size 9mm M&P about 2.5 years ago. Loved the feel, sights and recoil of both but the triggers were terrible. You could not feel ANY re-set and both were gritty and spongy.

Accuracy was so-so and I think the 45 was more accurate than the 9, but it was hard to concentrate on getting really tight groups because of the triggers.

Both fed and ejected right and I never got beaned with brass....which was an improvement over my G19! LOL

If Smith can get the triggers right and the accuracy problems with the 9mms....they will rule the polymer world. As a company, I really like Smith & Wesson and the run ins I had with their customer service were really pleasant.

- brickboy240

Apricotshot
06-05-12, 11:36
the stock trigger honestly isn't bad. I have a sample size of one, but it has a clean break and audible reset. The break is as good or better than my glocks, and frankly an audible reset is unnecessary to me.

I'd keep that pistol forever then. Because mine is not that way at all. You're lucky.

avengd7x
06-05-12, 12:04
I'd keep that pistol forever then. Because mine is not that way at all. You're lucky.

how old is yours? mine has a 2012 test fire date

jwfuhrman
06-05-12, 13:07
Buddy of mine took the Pro Series trigger out of his and out an APEX in and gave me the pro series trigger, big improvement and since I shoot USPSA, Multigun and carry all with the same
m&p 9 FS, mine has about 2500rds on it with this trigger, which was brand new when i got it

Apricotshot
06-05-12, 13:10
Nevermind.

USA
06-05-12, 13:30

I really like the feel of the M&P and if Smith ever gets the trigger and accuracy problems licked, they will rule the polymer striker pistol market.

- brickboy240

Same can be said for Glocks, not that you are overtly advocating for them. Not sure why Glocks always get a free pass for all the mods people do to them though. And, IMO with Glocks or M&Ps, the price of mods are miniscule when priced out over the lifetime of the firearm. Do I wish Glock and/or M&P would incorporate the mods into their current design? Sure, but until they do, I just use the firearm and try and become a better shooter.

Apricotshot
06-05-12, 13:35
Quote Fail. Nevermind.

Ironman8
06-05-12, 14:37
Same can be said for Glocks, not that you are overtly advocating for them. Not sure why Glocks always get a free pass for all the mods people do to them though. And, IMO with Glocks or M&Ps, the price of mods are miniscule when priced out over the lifetime of the firearm. Do I wish Glock and/or M&P would incorporate the mods into their current design? Sure, but until they do, I just use the firearm and try and become a better shooter.

While I agree that the mods are miniscule over the life of the gun, you still have to compare apples to apples between platforms (ergonomic controls, trigger characteristics, accuracy capability of at least 4" @ 25 yds, ect.) The difference in the price becomes more significant when you have to make these mods to multiple guns that you own, as most people will have at least a couple of each platform....also, for the purpose of this illustration, sights are not factored into the costs associated below since it is such a personal thing and most people will change out sights regardless of what the gun originally came with...

Assuming you get a gun with the inherent problems of the platform...

S&W M&P
FS M&P (G&R Tactical) - $450
Apex DCAEK - $90
Apex RAM - $23
Storm Lake Fitted Barrel (G&R Tactical or Apex) - $200
TOTAL COST - $763

Glock 19
Gen 4 Glock 19 (G&R Tactical) - $550
Vickers Ext. Mag Release (Nettac) - $17
Viclers Ext. Slide Stop (Nettac) - $20
*Apex Extractor (when they become available) - $75 (estimate...Randy mentioned that these would be more expensive than the M&P extractors)
TOTAL COST - $662

*As far as extraction goes, this is something that some people have problems with, while some don't. Much like the accuracy issues seen in M&Ps. I have a FDE Gen4 G19 that does have erratic ejection, but I personally feel that, while it's not ideal (obviously), it doen't affect my shooting practice. What's more important to me is that I can make a shot when I "need" to make a shot. I can attribute misses to me and not the gun...or wonder which it actually was.

I still have one FS M&P since deciding to move to Glocks (just haven't put it on the EE yet) that seems to have only slightly larger groups than my G19 does. (The day that I tested it, I was getting on average about 1-1.5" larger groups with my M&P than my Glock with the same ammo - Ranger 124gr FMJ (but I wasn't shooting as well that day as I know I can...)

Like was said in another thread, I think the difference will lie in the range of ammo that the Glock can shoot with the same POI and accuracy compared to the range of ammo the M&P can shoot. I haven't extensively tested my M&P vs Glock in this way, but since I actually like the feel of the G19 better, I don't suppose I will. I'll leave that to you guys ;)

OldState
06-05-12, 14:45
I have an M&P 45 with a born on date of 5/10/12. The stock trigger what had a crisp break with very , very little creep if any. PLUS is had a definite tactile and somewhat audible reset unlike any M&P I tried before.

I tested the weight and it was almost 7 lbs. I was surprised by this as it felt around 5 lbs.

That being said I replaced it with a Apex FSS since I'm a trigger snob and am coming from 1911's. I have a safety on it as well.

The reset is good enough that I could care less if APEX every releases the RAM for this pistol.

All in all the stock trigger was nice.

WillBrink
06-05-12, 14:54

Yes, actually it is. A good gun, with a great trigger and custom installed barrel (neither of which are actually required for it to be a reliable serviceable gun regardless of the wining...) for a grand total of $650 by your estimation. I call that a damn good deal actually.

What's the closest rival cost?

francis
06-05-12, 14:58
damn. Sold out the 9mm's already!

mtdawg169
06-05-12, 17:04
While I agree that the mods are miniscule over the life of the gun, you still have to compare apples to apples between platforms (ergonomic controls, trigger characteristics, accuracy capability of at least 4" @ 25 yds, ect.) The difference in the price becomes more significant when you have to make these mods to multiple guns that you own, as most people will have at least a couple of each platform....also, for the purpose of this illustration, sights are not factored into the costs associated below since it is such a personal thing and most people will change out sights regardless of what the gun originally came with...

S&W M&P
Apex DCAEK - $90
Apex RAM - $23
TOTAL COST - $763

Glock 19
Gen 4 Glock 19 (G&R Tactical) - $550
Vickers Ext. Mag Release (Nettac) - $17
Viclers Ext. Slide Stop (Nettac) - $20
*Apex Extractor (when they become available) - $75 (estimate...Randy mentioned that these would be more expensive than the M&P extractors)
TOTAL COST - $662

*As far as extraction goes, this is something that some people have problems with, while some don't. Much like the accuracy issues seen in M&Ps. I have a FDE Gen4 G19 that does have erratic ejection, but I personally feel that, while it's not ideal (obviously), it doen't affect my shooting practice. What's more important to me is that I can make a shot when I "need" to make a shot. I can attribute misses to me and not the gun...or wonder which it actually was.

I still have one FS M&P since deciding to move to Glocks (just haven't put it on the EE yet) that seems to have only slightly larger groups than my G19 does. (The day that I tested it, I was getting on average about 1-1.5" larger groups with my M&P than my Glock with the same ammo - Ranger 124gr FMJ (but I wasn't shooting as well that day as I know I can...)

Like was said in another thread, I think the difference will lie in the range of ammo that the Glock can shoot with the same POI and accuracy compared to the range of ammo the M&P can shoot. I haven't extensively tested my M&P vs Glock in this way, but since I actually like the feel of the G19 better, I don't suppose I will. I'll leave that to you guys ;)

Add in a "-" connector and you're even closer. The cost difference at that point is well worth it based on ergos alone. If you really want to get technical, compare it to the 9c, which is closer in size, and you can skip the barrel upgrade with money for ammo to spare. And by the way, the M&P won't bean you in the face with brass either. ;-)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

bigghoss
06-05-12, 18:32
Dang. If they had any .45's for that price I'd get one. If it did have problems I could probably sell it used for $400. I bought 2 stripped AR15 lowers from PSA and liked the product and the service.

ralph
06-05-12, 19:08
Add in a "-" connector and you're even closer. The cost difference at that point is well worth it based on ergos alone. If you really want to get technical, compare it to the 9c, which is closer in size, and you can skip the barrel upgrade with money for ammo to spare. And by the way, the M&P won't bean you in the face with brass either. ;-)

Let's not forget the M&P has had issues with extractors as well, The FS9 I had while it never beaned me, it did however have weak ejection, usually just clearing the pistol and rolling across my arm, or going out and landing about a foot or less to the right of my feet. My Midsize .45 has much better ejection, But the last time I had it out, it did something very unusual, it hit me in the face with a piece of brass! Why, I don't know, It has never done that before..Anyway, Apex has had extractors out for M&P's for some time just for the weak ejection that some have had..

espnazi
06-05-12, 20:40
CDNN had them priced @ $425 and $399 for .357 sig.

RogerinTPA
06-05-12, 21:22
I've had a 9c since they hit the market. It has over 12K rounds fired and has been a little tack driver from the get go. The stock trigger wasn't that bad on any of my M&Ps. I added to the 9c the Heine Straight Eight sights and shot it like that until the Apex hard sear came online a few years later. When Randy at Apex started posting here, I was convinced that I had to order a few. I ordered 3 and added an Apex hard sear & striker block to the 9c, 9 and 40, just to see if it would make a difference. The 45 was GTG right out of the box, so I left it alone. The trigger on the 9c, like all my other M&Ps with the hard sear, became smooth as silk, helped with improved trigger manipulation and accuracy. It has been a sweet shooting gun ever since. If I didn't just purchase another 9c a few month ago, I'd be all over this deal.

JML2321
06-05-12, 21:28
I was having the same thought. Maybe they are dumping old stock before they bring out the redesigned ones.

Yea, I figured that the new production M&Ps will be hitting the market in the near future. I still wish I would have waited but just bought a G19.

Wow I posted this in the morning today and now their sold out.

USA
06-05-12, 21:36
Yea, I figured that the new production M&Ps will be hitting the market in the near future. I still wish I would have waited but just bought a G19.

Wow I posted this in the morning today and now their sold out.

Thanks for posting man. Alas, I was too slow to order.

USA
06-05-12, 21:49
Let's not forget the M&P has had issues with extractors as well, The FS9 I had while it never beaned me, it did however have weak ejection, usually just clearing the pistol and rolling across my arm, or going out and landing about a foot or less to the right of my feet. My Midsize .45 has much better ejection, But the last time I had it out, it did something very unusual, it hit me in the face with a piece of brass! Why, I don't know, It has never done that before..Anyway, Apex has had extractors out for M&P's for some time just for the weak ejection that some have had..

What year was your FS9? An IP here mentioned that the extractor issue was resolved a long time ago... It is unfortunate that there was ever a problem, but is it really worth mentioning now?

ralph
06-06-12, 05:41
What year was your FS9? An IP here mentioned that the extractor issue was resolved a long time ago... It is unfortunate that there was ever a problem, but is it really worth mentioning now?

2009...just pointing out that the M&P had/still has it's fair share of problems. I still have a Midsize .45 from 2008, that until late last summer, was very reliable, now has feeding problems,Ammo used has been the same, I'm still trying to run the source of this issue down...And No, sending back to S&W is'nt a option, as I'm NOT removing all the Apex parts in it just so they can look at it..

djegators
06-06-12, 07:08
Too bad Grant doesn't have $399 M&Ps...then I could buy it and have him upgrade it all at the same time ;)

mtdawg169
06-06-12, 07:28
2009...just pointing out that the M&P had/still has it's fair share of problems. I still have a Midsize .45 from 2008, that until late last summer, was very reliable, now has feeding problems,Ammo used has been the same, I'm still trying to run the source of this issue down...And No, sending back to S&W is'nt a option, as I'm NOT removing all the Apex parts in it just so they can look at it..

There's no doubt the M&P has had its teething problems, but the extractor issues have long been resolved. The trigger can be made much better with a polish job, much like the glock. The only persistent issue is the FS9 accuracy. My recently purchased gen3 G19 was a hot mess, constantly throwing brass in my face. A trip to Smyrna in person seems to have resolved that issue. My point is, both pistols have issues. The reason I mentioned the 9c, is that it doesn't have any of those problems. Functions with excellent reliability and is as accurate as the G19, if not slightly more so.

Whiskey_Bravo
06-06-12, 09:43
Damn, all out of stock. That was a good price.

bdcheung
06-06-12, 09:51
Damn, all out of stock. That was a good price.

Thank Goodness. Saving me from myself :p

Biggy
06-06-12, 10:07
I wonder if any of the current production M&P 9mm's pistols still suffer from the feedway jams with HP ammo when auto forwarding due to firm mag insertion? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-w2i7OWkyY&list=UUsUBSDV6AiQ6gHKbus2UjkA&index=4&feature=plcp

bdcheung
06-06-12, 10:41
I wonder if any of the current production M&P 9mm's pistols still suffer from the feedway jams with HP ammo when auto forwarding due to firm mag insertion? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-w2i7OWkyY&list=UUsUBSDV6AiQ6gHKbus2UjkA&index=4&feature=plcp

I've never experienced that issue with my full-size or compact 9mm, FWIW, with Speer Gold Dot 124g, Winchester Ranger 147g (RA9T), Winchester Ranger 124g +P (RA9124TP).

C4IGrant
06-06-12, 10:46

It will vary from gun to gun. Typically, auto forwarding is a direct result of inserting the magazine too hard.

C4

Grizzly16
06-06-12, 10:54
It will vary from gun to gun. Typically, auto forwarding is a direct result of inserting the magazine too hard.

C4

This is why it is worth a little more to order for Grant. Not much classier than replying to help about a gun in a thread dedicated to a sale price from a competitor .

MrSmitty
06-06-12, 11:35
Just picked up an M&P9 and my tigger is the same way. Test fire date March 2012. I like it better than the trigger on my Gen 3 G19 with - connector and polish job. May get the DCAEK but I don't really feel the need for it now.

ralph
06-06-12, 12:01
There's no doubt the M&P has had its teething problems, but the extractor issues have long been resolved. The trigger can be made much better with a polish job, much like the glock. The only persistent issue is the FS9 accuracy. My recently purchased gen3 G19 was a hot mess, constantly throwing brass in my face. A trip to Smyrna in person seems to have resolved that issue. My point is, both pistols have issues. The reason I mentioned the 9c, is that it doesn't have any of those problems. Functions with excellent reliability and is as accurate as the G19, if not slightly more so.

Maybe so, But I have had two M&P's, (a FS9, and a .45mid) one I sold recently because of accuracy issues, and now the other is starting to be a problem. This is very annoying. I'm getting sick and tired of changing parts, for little or no improvement. I've lost alot of faith in the M&P platform, If I can't get the .45mid back up and running like it's old reliable, accurate self,( I've got a few more things to try, yet) my next stop in a .45 will be HK....

sniperfrog
06-06-12, 12:47
I've come to the conclusion that pistols just suck. Either they're not reliable outta the box (gen 4 Glock) inaccurate (M&P9) cost upwards of a thousand dollars (Hk) or magazines are overpriced and gun has limited aftermarket support (PPQ). Then there's a combination of those on some (1911s).

I'm going to start carrying ninja stars instead.

Grizzly16
06-06-12, 13:24
I've come to the conclusion that pistols just suck. Either they're not reliable outta the box (gen 4 Glock) inaccurate (M&P9) cost upwards of a thousand dollars (Hk) or magazines are overpriced and gun has limited aftermarket support (PPQ). Then there's a combination of those on some (1911s).

I'm going to start carrying ninja stars instead.

M&P in 40 or 45 or a glock in 40 or 45?

sniperfrog
06-06-12, 16:15
M&P in 40 or 45 or a glock in 40 or 45?

What is it your asking? Which one is better?

Grizzly16
06-06-12, 16:46
What is it your asking? Which one is better?
You said pistols suck, they don't work or are expensive. Those four styles of polymer pistols are affordable and dependable.

WillBrink
06-06-12, 17:54
I've come to the conclusion that pistols just suck. Either they're not reliable outta the box (gen 4 Glock) inaccurate (M&P9)

A single model in a large number of models can't make small groups at 25 yards, but is otherwise a reliable serviceable platform and you add it to the general pistols suck conclusion? :eek:

Although given a choice, I would for sure prefer to have acceptable groups at 25 yards (or beyond) from my pistol, but it's low on the list of absolute priorities (for me) from a pistol. M&P line has really only been around a short time all things considered, and by most accounts, S&W did a truly commendable job with it,, has responded to virtually all teething pains of the design, and seems to be continuing to do so from what I hear here on M4C et al.

It aint perfect to be sure, but "perfect" does not come cheap, but value to cost, M&P (even the 9mmFS I feel, your mileage may vary...) seems to sit at the table of a very short list of pistols.

Some people just aint never happy! :cool:

ralph
06-06-12, 18:24
A quick question for those of you with a M&P.45 Have any of you noticed a semi- circular mark on the front of your extractors? I have this in mine, Don't know if this is normal or not as I have nothing to compare it to..... I took it .45 mid out today and noticed some unusual things..Several times when shooting, on the forward stroke of the slide I could feel the slide (I don't know how to put this) slow down twice, rapidly, (kinda like a car hitting speed bumps).. I thinking my rash of feeding malfunctions(3-point malfunctions) may be somehow related to the extractor.. Also got hit in the head twice..once could have been from the empty bouncing from the overhang on the roof at the range, the second was definetly from the pistol, as I saw it coming..Empty came straight up out from the ejection port, and flipped back and beaned me.. This is very unusual, up until recently it has never done this.. any one have any ideas? I really would like to get this thing up and running as it has been a favorite of mine for a long time, and has always been a excellant shooter...

Mods; if this the wrong place for this please feel free to move it...

sniperfrog
06-06-12, 22:35
A single model in a large number of models can't make small groups at 25 yards, but is otherwise a reliable serviceable platform and you add it to the general pistols suck conclusion? :eek:

Although given a choice, I would for sure prefer to have acceptable groups at 25 yards (or beyond) from my pistol, but it's low on the list of absolute priorities (for me) from a pistol. M&P line has really only been around a short time all things considered, and by most accounts, S&W did a truly commendable job with it,, has responded to virtually all teething pains of the design, and seems to be continuing to do so from what I hear here on M4C et al.

It aint perfect to be sure, but "perfect" does not come cheap, but value to cost, M&P (even the 9mmFS I feel, your mileage may vary...) seems to sit at the table of a very short list of pistols.

Some people just aint never happy! :cool:

Well I was half joking when I said all pistols suck. I'm also not going to start carrying ninja stars, that was also a joke.

But my M&P9 won't shoot Gold Dot for shit. I already had to send the gun back once for another issue which was resolved. It will shoot ICC frangible quite well but the 124gn Gold Dot shoots about 4-5 inch groups at 15 yards.

I like the M&P so i'll probably get one of Grants barrels. I just wish I didn't have to. I'm also going to get a compact M&P and maybe even a 5" pro so I either like the platform or I'm just a glutton for punishment. My comment was mostly made to show my frustration that many others share when it comes to buying a handgun today. It's rolling the dice to see if you get a good one.

WillBrink
06-07-12, 09:03
Well I was half joking when I said all pistols suck. I'm also not going to start carrying ninja stars, that was also a joke.

But my M&P9 won't shoot Gold Dot for shit. I already had to send the gun back once for another issue which was resolved. It will shoot ICC frangible quite well but the 124gn Gold Dot shoots about 4-5 inch groups at 15 yards.

I like the M&P so i'll probably get one of Grants barrels. I just wish I didn't have to. I'm also going to get a compact M&P and maybe even a 5" pro so I either like the platform or I'm just a glutton for punishment. My comment was mostly made to show my frustration that many others share when it comes to buying a handgun today. It's rolling the dice to see if you get a good one.

There's never been more choices for quality pistols in human history. Materials, tolerances, etc, etc have never been better. That frustration, by and large, is from either lack of historical perspective and or unrealistic expectations.

If you want old school, why not get a 1911 or a HP? There's never been a better choice for 1911s out there also, but you're gonna spend the $$$$ for it.

OldState
06-07-12, 09:44
A quick question for those of you with a M&P.45 Have any of you noticed a semi- circular mark on the front of your extractors? I have this in mine, Don't know if this is normal or not as I have nothing to compare it to..... I took it .45 mid out today and noticed some unusual things..Several times when shooting, on the forward stroke of the slide I could feel the slide (I don't know how to put this) slow down twice, rapidly, (kinda like a car hitting speed bumps).. I thinking my rash of feeding malfunctions(3-point malfunctions) may be somehow related to the extractor.. Also got hit in the head twice..once could have been from the empty bouncing from the overhang on the roof at the range, the second was definetly from the pistol, as I saw it coming..Empty came straight up out from the ejection port, and flipped back and beaned me.. This is very unusual, up until recently it has never done this.. any one have any ideas? I really would like to get this thing up and running as it has been a favorite of mine for a long time, and has always been a excellant shooter...

Mods; if this the wrong place for this please feel free to move it...

I only have 400 rounds through mine but no such marks. Maybe check the ejector. Im new to M&Ps but with 1911's, the ejector is responsible for the direction the cases fly in most situations.

Hmac
06-07-12, 09:58

My M&P 9L's trigger was better than my Gen III Glock, but still bad enough that it needed a DCAEK.

The barrel on my 9L must be ok. It groups into 3 inches at 25 yards from a sandbag. The accuracy issue, if it exists, must be a hit-or-miss problem pistol to pistol.

WillBrink
06-07-12, 10:09
My M&P 9L's trigger was better than my Gen III Glock, but still bad enough that it needed a DCAEK.

The barrel on my 9L must be ok. It groups into 3 inches at 25 yards from a sandbag. The accuracy issue, if it exists, must be a hit-or-miss problem pistol to pistol.

It is. Remember, the 'net effect makes things seem much more common than they are. A higher % of 9L have an accuracy issue then they should to be sure, and trustworthy people like Randy et al have confirmed that, but I don't know of any formal testing done with large numbers that have shown the problem is the norm for the 9L or what % of them are problematic in that area.

I trust Randy and others who say it's an issue in a high enough % of the 9L that it's something that needs addressing, and and others (Grant, etc) have, and maybe S&W will in the near future also.

Seeing Grants groups he's now getting with the new barrel does make me want to fork up the $$$ and get me one...

If you get a "good one" drive on, if you get one that makes crappy groups at 25 yards, but is otherwise GTG, decide if that's something worth $$$ to fix for your needs, and (1) fix it or (2) don't worry about it. :cool:

sniperfrog
06-07-12, 12:34
There's never been more choices for quality pistols in human history. Materials, tolerances, etc, etc have never been better. That frustration, by and large, is from either lack of historical perspective and or unrealistic expectations.

If you want old school, why not get a 1911 or a HP? There's never been a better choice for 1911s out there also, but you're gonna spend the $$$$ for it.

I never said I wanted "old school" as I have no desire to carry a 1911 or HP.

I've carried a gun professionally for nearly 20 years now so I know what I need in a pistol. 5" inch groups at 15 yards is not considered acceptable for a self defense gun. I don't have "unrealistic expectations" as many other guns will shoot much better than this.

Like I said, I like the M&P and will buy more, but I'll have to spend more money to make the gun right. Many others have simply dumped the platform and moved on. I'm not giving up since I'm already heavily invested in the platform and it's cheaper to just buy a new fitted barrel than switch to something else.

I didn't want this to go so far off topic so I apologize for even posting my "pistols suck" comment.

WillBrink
06-07-12, 12:58
I never said I wanted "old school" as I have no desire to carry a 1911 or HP.

I've carried a gun professionally for nearly 20 years now so I know what I need in a pistol. 5" inch groups at 15 yards is not considered acceptable for a self defense gun. I don't have "unrealistic expectations" as many other guns will shoot much better than this.

Like I said, I like the M&P and will buy more, but I'll have to spend more money to make the gun right. Many others have simply dumped the platform and moved on. I'm not giving up since I'm already heavily invested in the platform and it's cheaper to just buy a new fitted barrel than switch to something else.

I didn't want this to go so far off topic so I apologize for even posting my "pistols suck" comment.

All good. I don't have 20 years of carrying a gun professionally and maybe I/we just took the comment out of context.

C4IGrant
06-07-12, 13:58
We don't have M&P's for $399, but we do have them for $425 (for those interested).

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=209301

C4

Beat Trash
06-07-12, 16:23
In addition to being only $26 more, Grant can install any of the Apex stuff for you prior to shipping g the gun.

Kind of a one stop shop experience.

WillBrink
06-07-12, 17:02
In addition to being only $26 more, Grant can install any of the Apex stuff for you prior to shipping g the gun.

Kind of a one stop shop experience.

They are not difficult to install per se, but for that price done for me, I wouldn't hesitate to pay that. :cool:

UsnRoberts
06-07-12, 17:27
I bought one from budspolicesupply and absolutely love it. Wish i would have gone through grant and got the apex too though. Military get $50 off from S&W too so it is $350...
Honestly I like it equally as my glock. Different beasts, respect both when pointed at you.

Skunk Pilot
06-09-12, 01:11
We don't have M&P's for $399, but we do have them for $425 (for those interested).

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=209301

C4

Good news. I am going to go into reloading with my uncle. He has a SD40 right now and wants a 9mm now, why he bought that instead of the M&P I don't know, probably had everything to do with the price at Cabela's and no research, or not enough. I sent him some stuff on the M&P9 and I think that's the platform he's going to go with.

Grant I did bring up the M&P9's accuracy problems but said the platform is great otherwise and not all of them have problems. I then brought up going with you with the aftermarket barrels and that's the road I'm planning on going down. A $25 price drop is very nice indeed, it's the exact model that I told him would probably be the best for him right now. I assume he's going to make a decision within the next 2-3 weeks or so, don't know if he wants the SL barrel though.

I'm hoping that on July 1st, S&W will give out a rebate to everyone, so hopefully your 4.25" barrels will be ready sometime around then. Well S&W should give $100 rebates to M&P 4.25"/5" 9mm barreled guns. Of course then you'll probably be OOS of the 209301's.

Sending him an email on your price drop right now.

brushy bill
06-09-12, 13:11

S&W M&P
Apex DCAEK - $90
Apex RAM - $23
TOTAL COST - $763

For someone starting from scratch who isn't already heavily invested in the platform, I can't follow the logic of doing all this. You are very close to the price of an H&K. Unless you just can't master a hammer fired gun. You wind up with an arguably lower quality firearm for very close to the same cost. However,for those with enough sunk costs in magazines, spare parts, holsters, and other accouterments for the M&P, at least you can fix the issues for an outlay that is about $112 less than the initial cost of the gun (based on a $425 sticker).

radon
06-09-12, 17:30
Ya, HK's never have any problems, ever.

So if you can get over the incredibly long trigger reset, very long trigger reach, overall blockiness and large size for the caliber (especially 9mm), complete lack of ability to get spare parts from anyone other than HK and HK's notoriously poor customer service, sure, HK will be perfect for you.

I've done the HK route--they didn't do anything for me at all. I personally did not have reliability or accuracy problems, but neither have I had any with m&p (except with a 9L) and a host of other brands.

The m&p problems are being blown out of proportion, IMHO. And I'd rather have an unmodified m&p trigger than an unmodified HK trigger any day. But for $74 from Brownells I can have an m&p trigger that beats the bunch (except maybe the Walther).

C4IGrant
06-09-12, 19:03
For someone starting from scratch who isn't already heavily invested in the platform, I can't follow the logic of doing all this. You are very close to the price of an H&K. Unless you just can't master a hammer fired gun. You wind up with an arguably lower quality firearm for very close to the same cost. However,for those with enough sunk costs in magazines, spare parts, holsters, and other accouterments for the M&P, at least you can fix the issues for an outlay that is about $112 less than the initial cost of the gun (based on a $425 sticker).

You actually don't have to do any of it. I always suggest people shoot the gun bone and stock and see what they like and don't like.

With that said, $700ish for a reliable pistol that can shoot 1" groups is a good deal IMHO.

C4

Skunk Pilot
06-09-12, 19:08
...You are very close to the price of an H&K... You wind up with an arguably lower quality firearm for very close to the same cost. ...$112 less than the initial cost of the gun (based on a $425 sticker).

Ya, HK's never have any problems, ever.

So if you can get over the incredibly long trigger reset, very long trigger reach, overall blockiness and large size for the caliber (especially 9mm), complete lack of ability to get spare parts from anyone other than HK and HK's notoriously poor customer service, sure, HK will be perfect for you.

I've done the HK route--they didn't do anything for me at all. I personally did not have reliability or accuracy problems, but neither have I had any with m&p and a host of other brands.

The m&p problems are being blown out of proportion, IMHO. And I'd rather have an unmodified m&p trigger than an unmodified HK trigger any day.

brushy bill;
True, you shouldn't have to spend this much money on aftermarket parts. On the M&P trigger, I shot mfg reps guns that had 2k+ on them (I'd assume) and I thought they were pretty damn good compared to my XDM9. The M&P 9C, 4.25" and 5" just feel better in my hand. You don't absolutely need Apex parts. Since I had the FSS & Trigger in my new M&P9L I don't see how I couldn't now though, however my stock trigger was very gritty new. I put in the FSS & Trigger before I even shot it as I didn't want to wait and I really like the shorter trigger pull, let alone having the trigger closer to you.

Granted it's been awhile since I've held a HK 9mm, but it also seemed very big to me, didn't appeal to me. I agree the trigger pull is too long, never looked into aftermarket trigger for it though. I also thought the Walther PPQ was too long also. That's why I just loved that FSS & Trigger, or course at $168 with SH, I guess you should love any trigger upgrade at that price. With all that said, when my uncle asked about a new 9mm, I said I highly recommended the M&P, but also told him to look into the Walther PPQ and an HK if he wanted.

How accurate are HK 9mm's out to 25 yards? I doubt they'd get 1" or under from a rest like Grant is getting.

BCmJUnKie
06-09-12, 20:16

- brickboy240

You really nailed everything I was thinking.

I really wanted to like it....

Going from a Glock to an M&P makes the trigger seem even worse

USA
06-09-12, 20:51
OMG, time to close this thread already. For those that like the M&P, the sale priced M&Ps are already gone. For those that dislike the M&P, no need to keep beating a dead horse as there is already another thread. For those that are interested in the M&P, rent it and decide for yourself and know that ANY firearm you decide will require an additional investment in time and money to get the most out of it. Choosing and purchasing the firearm is just the first step.

varoadking
06-10-12, 13:37
OMG, time to close this thread already. For those that like the M&P, the sale priced M&Ps are already gone. For those that dislike the M&P, no need to keep beating a dead horse as there is already another thread. For those that are interested in the M&P, rent it and decide for yourself and know that ANY firearm you decide will require an additional investment in time and money to get the most out of it. Choosing and purchasing the firearm is just the first step.

So...what did you want to discuss...the weather?