PDA

View Full Version : Light buffer spring and adjustable gas block.....

andy_ita
06-05-12, 03:43
Hi guys
Greetings from italy

Yesterday i have installed on my 14"( i know its not the best for 3gun but this is what i have here) the jprifle Lmoss bolt carrier and rifle buffer, a pri adjustable gas block and a Tubb flat wire buffer spring.
I tryed it with almost all close gas block. Recoil like a .22 but bolt not locked after the last round.
Normal.
So i tuned as it stay open at enpty mag, but im thinking...
If i find a very lite buffer spring, i could close the gas on gas block having the bolt open at empty mag... Isnt it?

So i need to share with you this idea and having your comments.
What willbe the lightest Buffer spring on the market?
May i cut a bit the buffer spring?
Pro and cons of this??

Thanks
Andy

GTifosi
06-05-12, 08:33
You're going to need at least some gas coming through the block regardless of anything else or the bolt won't cycle at all as you probably already know.

Instead of going for a super light or custom buffer spring or modifying one by cutting, why not play with buffer weight?

It would have simular effect as far as what the mechanism does and if going lighter can produce a softer recoil impulse.
However, it can also allow the buffer to move faster so a spring will still have to be selected to find an ideal.

The advantage of working the buffer vs cutting a spring or trying to find a specific one to meet your needs?

The buffer can be almost infinitely repeated with common replacement parts and won't wear down/go weak/collapse like a spring will over time and use.
Not that youy'd ever wear a buffer out, but in case you desired to have more than one on hand or build a clone rifle.

Easy repeatability is a desireable thing in competition if you're after good consistancy over a long period of time.

andy_ita
06-05-12, 08:45
Well it is not a bad idea, but... Im running a rifle stock with a jprifle low mass buffer. The weight is like a standard carbine buffer. How could i modify it?
I know there is some weight and spacer inside...but i never worked or opened.

What happen if i remove too much weight, or spacer?

Brahmzy
06-05-12, 09:33
Since you're going "there", why not look at JP's new captured spring/buffer combo - this was designed for their adj. gas block guns.
No dickin' with std. buffers and springs. Drop it in, tune the gas, and you're done.

That said I haven't used that particular piece. Not convinced of it's long term performance/reliability.
I've got VLTOR A5 tubes/buffers and am just now installing a bunch of the Syrac adj. blocks to test with. This, to me, seems to be a more reliable, consistent and forgiving setup than an on-the-edge race type setup.

Clint
06-05-12, 10:25
Andy,

Try dumping the stronger flatwire spring for a regular rifle spring.

You could also try a carbine spring to see what happens.

The danger of using a very light spring is the action may not have enough force to go into battery sometimes.

andy_ita
06-05-12, 11:15
Well, i ordered by brownells the jp captured spring. It is in backorder so i dont know when and if they will ship it here. Getting ar15 parts here is really hard and expensive. And the 90% of the gun parts sellers wont ship the " dangerous" ar15 parts oversea... So hope to receive it...

About the syrac... Ordered today... But had few minutes ago the ordered deleted :-((((((

I ordered and im wait to receive the wold Rp spring.

I wish to remove some weight from the buffer
What happen if i do that??
Same for carbine spring in a rifle lenght buffer tube... Isnt it too short?? What happen if i do that? I mean something could ho wrong? Could i broke some parts??

Brahmzy
06-05-12, 11:22
Ugh. So, you have a rifle length tube?

Assuming the JP captured spring order goes through, you ordered the rifle-length captured spring, correct? I think they just include a delrin spacer to make it rifle length.

That INCLUDES the buffer and the spring - you don't mess with that - you're done there, which is why I suggested it. Easy peasy. Now, if you can get the Sryac, you just tune it until the bolt locks back, (turn another click or two to add some forgiveness headroom) and you are done. Pretty simple.

IF THAT DOESN'T WORK OUT (it sounds like you're just ordering parts all over the place)
If you went with a Wolffe reduced power rifle-length sping, then you have to mess with buffer weights as well. It will take some experimentation to achieve reliability. I would've kept with a consistent std. power spring, personally and messed with buffers. You don't "remove weight from buffers" unless you know exactly what you're doing and have spare buffers to play with. Buffers only work with the correct quantity of parts. In your situation, the JP lightened buffer would be a good choice.

** This is all kind of silly until you tell us what you're building. And quit ordering random parts. This is a system. And whether you have an adjustable gas-block or not, decides on what system you should have. Most of JP's lightened parts (which you already own) are based on using adj. gas.

andy_ita
06-05-12, 14:32
I have a rifle lenght stock with a rifle lenght buffer tube.
I tuned the pri adjustable gas block so the bolt lock back at empty mag.

I ordered the jp captured buffer and spring, and i hope to receive it. But i dont know.

im thinking to reduce again the recoil keeping the Tubb bufferspring and working on the weight of the jp low mass buffer.
If i remove 2 pieces of the alluminium and change it with same 2 pieces, but with a hole inside. So lighter.
So The inside of the buffer will have same internals but with less weight.
So i should be able to reduce the gas needed to lock the bolt locked back at empty round.

How this idea could be??

andy_ita
06-05-12, 15:24
Oh Brahmzy

Im building a rifle for 3gun match.
I ll post a pic later.

About to buying random parts, well i have 4 ar15 and the fifht in coming... So parts are always needed...
And here in italy is not easy to have all the parts you guys in usa could have. So when i have tha chance to buy it, i do it. Im sure i will need it... Now or infuture....:-)

Brahmzy
06-05-12, 16:27
Ok. Considering the parts you already own. Here's what i would do, if at all possible with your rifle length tube.

JP lightened Carrier (you already own)
JP lightened rifle-length buffer (you already own)
Syrac or similar good adj. gas-block (Somebody will ship you a Syrac to Italy)

And that's it. I wouldn't go beyond that. JP's buffer is lightened already - I wouldn't try to reverse engineer that any-more - JP knows what they're doing.

I only mentioned the JP captured spring because I forgot you already owned the JP lightened buffer. The JP captured spring will work (and possibly better), if you can actually get it delivered.

That's it - that's all i got. If you need more than that - I think there are some specific 3-gun forums (don't know any off the top of my head, but I've seen them) that some guys go absolutely crazy with. Some crazy home-built stuff going on. Maybe that is what you're after.

andy_ita
06-05-12, 17:54
this is the rifle
http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/5810/fotoem.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/502/fotoem.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

well.. at the moment it is tuned as u described.
jp low mass bolt carrier, low mass buffer, and PRI adj. gas block.
it work. i would have a syrac so i can tune it without loctite...but the pri i have now work good.
the rifle have a good recoil, but...
if i can go better....why dont try:-)))))

brownells should ship me the captured spring/buffer... at the moment it is in backorder...but they still have not deleted the order...so hope they will ship it..
about to have a syrac...yes...somebody will ship it to me....:D