PDA

View Full Version : Value of Frankenbuilds?

robb01
06-05-12, 09:01
Just wondering how various builds hold resale value. I hate to think of ever having to sell my rifles, but it may be a possibility. How well do rifles built with different brand uppers/lowers hold there value as far as resale? Or would you typically sell them seperately?

Iraqgunz
06-05-12, 09:21
Way too many variables here. Are you talking a Colt upper on an LMT lower? BCM upper on a Noveske lower?

Much different than Doublestar Arms and a DPMS lower. In addition people will want to know rounds through the weapon, etc...

In some cases you are better off selling things like optics, lights, etc.. and then trying to sell the rifle barebones.

Just wondering how various builds hold resale value. I hate to think of ever having to sell my rifles, but it may be a possibility. How well do rifles built with different brand uppers/lowers hold there value as far as resale? Or would you typically sell them seperately?

bullittmcqueen
06-05-12, 09:23
I would think parting it out individually would be more beneficial to you. You may be able to pass off a Frankenbuild on a friend or new shooter but most people will always be a little leery.

Brahmzy
06-05-12, 09:28
Part it out. Been doin' this for many years. A Daniel Defense rail goes for much more when you're not expecting somebody to buy a bunch of other crap with it.

The people that build their guns are typically needing specific parts, not somebody's complete built upper. Now if it's a factory Noveske upper with low round count or similar, you may fetch a decent sale.

C4IGrant
06-05-12, 09:46
As mentioned, parts matter and also who built the gun matters.

On this forum, if you say that we built your gun, I am willing to bet that you would get more money for it than if you said that you built it.

C4

Nmate
06-05-12, 10:03
I would think it depends greatly on the quality of the parts used along with the skill and reputation of the person who built it.

A rifle built by say, Chris Costa, on a rare Knight's SR-15 lower with a Colt upper and Noveske CHF barrel would fetch a ton of money based upon the quality of parts and the ferocity of his fanboys.

A rifle built by Danny Rick with a Plum Crazy lower and a Hesse upper with "custom" parts from Tapco probably won't do as well based upon people not being utter morons.

Obviously extreme examples, but it illustrates a point.

darwing31
06-05-12, 14:38
I would think parting it out individually would be more beneficial to you. You may be able to pass off a Frankenbuild on a friend or new shooter but most people will always be a little leery.

This has been my experience. Part it out unless you need the money faster and are willing to lose some coin.

Moltke
06-05-12, 14:53

Factory guns hold value, factory uppers and lowers hold value too more or less. Frankenguns don't hold value very well, especially to an experienced buyer.