PDA

View Full Version : PSA Upper issue?

rak320
06-05-12, 10:19
Gents,

The picture is the FH of my brother's PSA upper with a 14.7" barrel. Unless I am mistaken, there should be a mark from the pin/weld correct? This was a factory built upper shipped directly from PSA.

Thoughts?

Grant

OldGreg
06-05-12, 10:22
I think you should tell your brother contact PSA.. which would've been my 1st step.

Brahmzy
06-05-12, 10:26
It looks like that 360 degrees around the barrel?

If so, I would be calling PSA and explaining the situation to them. They have been shipping stuff out en masse. They could have missed it, which is scary. It needs to be broght to their attention asap. Pretty big deal for your bro and them if that FH spins off that barrel.

rak320
06-05-12, 10:26
I think you should tell your brother contact PSA.. which would've been my 1st step.

I believe he is trying to do at this moment, he says they aren't answering...

You in St. Louis?

rak320
06-05-12, 10:27
It looks like that 360 degrees around the barrel?

If so, I would be calling PSA and explaining the situation to them. They have been shipping stuff out en masse. They could have missed it, which is scary. It needs to be broght to their attention asap. Pretty big deal for your bro and them if that FH spins off that barrel.

Yep, the pic is of the bottom, but no mark anywhere.

Brahmzy
06-05-12, 10:29
Contacting PSA can be a chore, seriously. Especially now. I've seen them pretty much stop phone support when they get busy like they are now.

I would email them with "You sold me an illegal firearm. FEDs are inbound" in the email title to get their attention. Not joking. Call and leave messages and send multiple emails.

You're bro is covered, and frankly, this is good documentation. He had no control over what was shipped to him. As long as he brings it to the attention of the manufacturer asap, shouldn't be an issue.

ac130usnsr
06-05-12, 10:45
Gents,

The picture is the FH of my brother's PSA upper with a 14.7" barrel. Unless I am mistaken, there should be a mark from the pin/weld correct? This was a factory built upper shipped directly from PSA.

Thoughts?

Grant

Are you sure he selected the $20 option to have the muzzle device pinned and welded when he ordered it?

PSA can ship any length upper and it's legal, it's the buyer that has to either have no lower receivers, a pistol configured lower receiver or an SBR'd lower receiver in their posession while they have a <16" barreled upper in their posession to avoid "constructive intent".

CDDM416
06-05-12, 10:46
OP, are you saying he bought a complete gun, or just the upper?
If its just the upper, then its up to you to have it pinned.

Both BCM,and LMT send them out all the time without being pinned.
Ive bought one from both of them that way.

AC130 beat me to it.

rak320
06-05-12, 10:50
OP, are you saying he bought a complete gun, or just the upper?
If its just the upper, then its up to you to have it pinned.

Both BCM,and LMT send them out all the time without being pinned.
Ive bought one from both of them that way.

AC130 beat me to it.

He bought just the upper, so that might explain it. He said it was supposed to pinned so I would assume under the NFA option he checked " pin and weld muzzle device" on their website

Brahmzy
06-05-12, 10:56
LOL. I made the assumption that he ordered it correctly. Skipped right past the basics.

Grizzly16
06-05-12, 10:59
LOL. I made the assumption that he ordered it correctly. Skipped right past the basics.
He would have had to unchecked it on purpose. I just looked at their sight and it defaults to selecting pinned and welded.

Brahmzy
06-05-12, 11:07
Well cheers to the OP for bringing it to his bro's attention and correcting the issue. Hopefully a simple mistake that'll cost some shipping, time and another $20 to fix it. I'd have the upper in the mail to PSA with a letter explaining the issue. Wouldn't wait for them to get back to him.

Or, I'd hit up a local trusted gunsmith today (since this probably isn't PSA's issue) and just have him perform the work. PSA may do a cleaner job as they do thousands of pin/welds.

No worries.

Grease Monkey
06-05-12, 11:10
Check the receipt and see what it says.

ac130usnsr
06-05-12, 11:48
He would have had to unchecked it on purpose. I just looked at their sight and it defaults to selecting pinned and welded.

It used to default to the no pin/weld option on that page. Had to be selected before.

Tomahawk_Ghost
06-05-12, 12:39
I bought one that was pinned. It was done neatly but you could see the weld mark.

Check the packing slip. Mine said pinned.

BufordTJustice
06-05-12, 13:29
I bought one that was pinned. It was done neatly but you could see the weld mark.

Check the packing slip. Mine said pinned.

My wife runs a PSA CHF 14.7" w/ pinned A2. The weld was ground down, polished over, and re-blued. Only way I could tell was that the A2's bottom was actually out-of-round from being ground. It was really clean work on my wife's upper. Hers looks a lot like your picture.

I would check your slip as well. Mine also says pinned.

Leonidas24
06-05-12, 13:48
My wife runs a PSA CHF 14.7" w/ pinned A2. The weld was ground down, polished over, and re-blued. Only way I could tell was that the A2's bottom was actually out-of-round from being ground. It was really clean work on my wife's upper. Hers looks a lot like your picture.

I would check your slip as well. Mine also says pinned.

That's what I'm actually suspecting just looking at the pic. The upper portion of the FH looks parked but the portion where a pin would be looks polished and blued.

Brahmzy
06-05-12, 14:16
That's what I'm actually suspecting just looking at the pic. The upper portion of the FH looks parked but the portion where a pin would be looks polished and blued.

Well, the fact that the whole area has a slight polished "sheen" to it as well in the vicinity of where it would be pinned - barrel, crush washer and that portion of the FH.

C'mon OP - you're the one with it in your hands. Does it looks like it's been worked or not?? :confused:

SomeOtherGuy
06-05-12, 14:20
If you still need to contact PSA, their representative on this site tends to be much more responsive and hands-on then (in my experience) what you get with the main email address. And the phone number is hardly worth trying.

But it sounds like this may be resolved anyway.

JSantoro
06-05-12, 15:21
https://www.m4carbine.net/faq.php?faq=vb_faq#faq_new_faq_item

4) Contact The Manufacturer or Dealer First – Internet forums have a large global audience and unsubstantiated or ill-informed comments will affect the livelihoods of a lot of hard working people in the industry. If you have an issue with a manufacturer or dealer that you would like to resolve, we ask that your first contact them to resolve it.

That means, the manufacturer contacted AND given a reasonable chance to respond. "...trying to do that at this moment" indicates that the second part of that has not come to pass.

The fact that it's unclear as to whether or not a particular electronic box was or was not checked, and not confirmed prior to posting is not helping, either.

OP, if there's no response in 5 days, hit me up and we'll open this again. If there's a resolution, or new info that develops sooner than that, hit me up and we'll open this up again.