PDA

View Full Version : The FN FNS ...a viable 9mm polymer alternative?

brickboy240
06-05-12, 12:40
Accuracy problems....ejection issues....horrible triggers....QC issues...expensive and hard to find mags...funky rear sights.

With this many players in the 9mm polymer striker pistol field (which is quickly becoming like the 1911 field) you all know that SOMEBODY...SOME DAY has got to get it right.

If Glock and S&W can't do it...how about FN?

http://www.fnherstal.com/index.php?id=269&backPID=263&productID=172&pid_product=295&pidList=263&categorySelector=5&detail=&cHash=fcfd50b577

Anybody own one of these? Is this a viable alternative to the other 9mm striker pistols? Nobody near me has one in stock.

Years ago, I borrowed an FNP in 40SW from a buddy and really liked the way it shot. Seemed like a quality made gun and he still owns it and likes the thing.

If anyone that owns and likes (or dislikes) the FNS, please let us know. I have looked a little and cannot find it's warts...if it has any.

Thanks in advance....somebody is going to produce a polymer 9mm striker gun that runs right out of the box. Glock USED to do it so we all know it CAN be done. LOL

- brickboy240

C4IGrant
06-05-12, 13:22
I know that their FNX guns have failed to beat the M&P in large international solicitations. I also know that if there is a problem with their gun, YOU the buyer has to pay for shipping BOTH ways.

So for me, that would be a deal killer.

I would buy an older GEN 3 Glock, an M&P or an HK product.

C4

brickboy240
06-05-12, 13:41
Yeah...but an older Gen 3 or 2 G19 is getting scarce around here.

The HK is d/a s/a and not the same. Oh, I looked at the LEM but that too is really odd if you're used to Glocks. You can also buy 2 Glocks to what you pay for an HK.

It seems like FN is much like Springfield with their XD pistols - they keep on cranking out variations and they get small followings but never really "catch on" with the professionals or take over.

I am going to keep looking for an older G19 and wait for the Apex fix. My money says Mr. Lee will get this right and end this silliness. Too bad Glock can't do it.

- brickboy240

djegators
06-05-12, 13:49
I do think the FNS-9 is at least worth a look. I picked one up at gun show due to the price being too ridiculous to pass up. I am impressed with the fit and finish, the mag release pops the mags out, the magwell is flared, the grip is very "grippy", grip angle gives natural point, the bore-axis is pretty low, the controls are all ambi, the accuracy is there, and the trigger is decent, and comes standard with night sights. Drawbacks so far: wish there was an option for no external safety, still getting used to sights causing me to shoot low, mags are hard to find/non-existent.

C4IGrant
06-05-12, 13:52

They are out there (come across them all the time).

The HK is d/a s/a and not the same. Oh, I looked at the LEM but that too is really odd if you're used to Glocks. You can also buy 2 Glocks to what you pay for an HK.

It is different, but the lite LEM is pretty good. An HK P30 is nearly twice the gun that a Glock is so something to consider.

The M&P in 40 and 45 and 9C don't have accuracy issues and once we have barrels, the 9mm M&P will be the gun to own IMHO.

C4

djegators
06-05-12, 14:24
I do agree with you Grant about the P30.

MistWolf
06-05-12, 14:26
If you like the FNS-9, get one and shoot it and see if it works for you.

If you're looking for alternative choices, take a look at the PPQ. Mags are on the expensive side but the PPQ specific mags with the slick finish feed smoothly, fall free cleanly and insert effortlessly even with a full mag and the slide in battery. The PPQ comes with two magazines so you start with a spare.

The PPQ is a natural and accurate shooter, has simple and full ambidextrous controls, well made and has a terrific trigger

brickboy240
06-05-12, 14:30
I need to find a place near by that I can test fire both the PPQ and the P-30. Everyone says great things about these two pistols. I have shot a USP full size in 9 and 40 and they were ok. A tad thick and big but functional and well made.

The FN autos just don't seem to catch on in large numbers...do they?

- brickboy240

okie john
06-05-12, 14:38

Take a longer view of the problem. Whatever pistol you buy will likely have a service life of 50k rounds if not more. That much good ammo will probably cost at least $10,000. In that light, the cost of the pistol--even if you get an HK or buy an older Glock online and pay $100 more than you would in a LGS--is minor. And if you DO end with the HK, you can easily train through any trigger weirdness with that much ammo.

Okie John

brickboy240
06-05-12, 15:10
Very true...if you train enough and have been shooting for a long time, one SHOULD be able to pick up any 9mm and do reasonably well.

In the end...much of this is probably nit picking.

If you DO happen to get one of the $399 M&Ps that runs 100%...that is a really good deal.

- brickboy240

quirino21
06-05-12, 15:52
I do think the FNS-9 is at least worth a look. I picked one up at gun show due to the price being too ridiculous to pass up. I am impressed with the fit and finish, the mag release pops the mags out, the magwell is flared, the grip is very "grippy", grip angle gives natural point, the bore-axis is pretty low, the controls are all ambi, the accuracy is there, and the trigger is decent, and comes standard with night sights. Drawbacks so far: wish there was an option for no external safety, still getting used to sights causing me to shoot low, mags are hard to find/non-existent.

The mags are the same as FNX mags...
I'm getting FNS9 In 5" when they come out, very nice guns...

djegators
06-05-12, 15:55
The mags are the same as FNX mags...
I'm getting FNS9 In 5" when they come out, very nice guns...

No, I do not believe that to be true. I understand the FNX mags will fit loosely in the FNS, but FNH does not recommend using them.

tdoom15
06-05-12, 16:14
No, I do not believe that to be true. I understand the FNX mags will fit loosely in the FNS, but FNH does not recommend using them.

This is true.

I dislike the FNS trigger very much. The FNX is a great DA/SA pistol though, although the one thing that I wish they would change is the safety. The FNX's safety just wont let me get as high up on the grip as I do with my other pistols causing me to barely push up on the safety enough to kill the trigger on occasion.

Other than that, if FN can manage a respectable trigger, they have a lot of nice features going for them.

PPQ is definitely worth a look. Well over 3500 rounds through mine and it's done nothing but grow on me. Wish Heinie would make sights for it though.

KalashniKEV
06-05-12, 16:34
An HK P30 is nearly twice the gun that a Glock is so something to consider.

That's quite a statement...

Moltke
06-05-12, 16:39
An HK P30 is nearly twice the gun that a Glock is so something to consider.

C4

Are you talking about cost? I agree with you.

C4IGrant
06-05-12, 16:40
That's quite a statement...

Yep. For instance you can fire a bullet in an HK barrel, have it lodge, fire another bullet and it won't blow the gun up.

C4

quirino21
06-05-12, 17:09

I sell FNH, my FN rep was at my store in april. They work, and I sell a lot of them...

djegators
06-05-12, 17:44
I sell FNH, my FN rep was at my store in april. They work, and I sell a lot of them...

I will concede to you at this point, as I do not have first hand knowledge. I will also likely wait until the FNS-9 mags are available to purchase more.

bm176
06-05-12, 18:50
Accuracy problems....ejection issues....horrible triggers....QC issues...expensive and hard to find mags...funky rear sights.

With this many players in the 9mm polymer striker pistol field (which is quickly becoming like the 1911 field) you all know that SOMEBODY...SOME DAY has got to get it right.

If Glock and S&W can't do it...how about FN?

http://www.fnherstal.com/index.php?id=269&backPID=263&productID=172&pid_product=295&pidList=263&categorySelector=5&detail=&cHash=fcfd50b577

Anybody own one of these? Is this a viable alternative to the other 9mm striker pistols? Nobody near me has one in stock.

Years ago, I borrowed an FNP in 40SW from a buddy and really liked the way it shot. Seemed like a quality made gun and he still owns it and likes the thing.

If anyone that owns and likes (or dislikes) the FNS, please let us know. I have looked a little and cannot find it's warts...if it has any.

Thanks in advance....somebody is going to produce a polymer 9mm striker gun that runs right out of the box. Glock USED to do it so we all know it CAN be done. LOL

- brickboy240

i know your specifically askin about the fns, but another alterantive you might want check out is the new steyr c9-a1 striker fired and has a better trigger/reset than its previous models. all i can say as compared to my glock a whole world of difference from trigger and ergos right outa the box is the steyr wins hands down, as a matter of fact i sold my glock 17.

JHC
06-05-12, 18:56
Are you talking about cost? I agree with you.

+1 It's arithmatically impossible to be more reliable than my 10K rds Gen 4 G17 which shoots the 1.5" groups of my avatar so it won't be easy to be twice as accurate.

I've shot one and I don't see me shooting a 2.5 second FAST with one. :p

FChen17213
06-05-12, 20:37
It is still early to tell how the FNS will shake out. One thing I think we should all think about is that the gun itself is just one part of your shooting system. That is what makes the Glock and M&P so popular and attractive. For an entire system, you'll have to get holsters, mag pouches, lots of magazines, maybe aftermarket sights, etc. For the FNS, spare mags are quite expensive and not everywhere. Holsters choices are slim pickings as well. How about spare parts? All things to think about.

chilic82
06-05-12, 21:05
Yep. For instance you can fire a bullet in an HK barrel, have it lodge, fire another bullet and it won't blow the gun up.

C4

It is my understanding that most all large name pistols can do this. I'm quite sure a Glock, M&P, Walther, Caracal, and Sig could.I thought I remember hearing it was standard criteria.

JB326
06-05-12, 22:06
I picked up an FNS-9 shortly after they hit the streets. I like it a great deal, but the trigger in mine is not nearly as dreamy as I heard and read that it would be. I also HATE the safety. Those are my chief complaints. My favorite aspects are the sights, feel/ ergos, and the mag well. It almost feels like the mag well "sucks up" the magazines when doing a reloading. I run mine with the flat backstrap and it feels a thousand times better in my hand than any of my Glocks do.

As for support gear, I made a full set of gear for my FNS, but it fits a kydex M&P holster every bit as well as it fits it's own holster.

I plan to pick up one of the 5" guns sooner than later.

JHC
06-06-12, 05:37
I picked up an FNS-9 shortly after they hit the streets. I like it a great deal, but the trigger in mine is not nearly as dreamy as I heard and read that it would be. I also HATE the safety. Those are my chief complaints. My favorite aspects are the sights, feel/ ergos, and the mag well. It almost feels like the mag well "sucks up" the magazines when doing a reloading. I run mine with the flat backstrap and it feels a thousand times better in my hand than any of my Glocks do.

As for support gear, I made a full set of gear for my FNS, but it fits a kydex M&P holster every bit as well as it fits it's own holster.

I plan to pick up one of the 5" guns sooner than later.

That's interesting. I've read a review where it fit the LEO's Glock 22 holster well also. Nice design!

I'd like to try one out.

Cosmo M3
06-06-12, 06:16

They fit loosely

They work, but not a permanent solution.

KalashniKEV
06-06-12, 10:13

C4

Glocks can do that too.

You'll be wanting a new barrel afterward though...

http://imgur.com/a/jpipk#0

C4IGrant
06-06-12, 10:31
Glocks can do that too.

You'll be wanting a new barrel afterward though...

http://imgur.com/a/jpipk#0

Right.

C4

Cazwell
06-06-12, 15:39
I would buy an older GEN 3 Glock, an M&P or an HK product.

C4

I thought the PPQ had made your short list?

It is different, but the lite LEM is pretty good. An HK P30 is nearly twice the gun that a Glock is so something to consider.

C4

I would really like to try that out... Not a single range has one to rent.

C4IGrant
06-06-12, 15:48
I thought the PPQ had made your short list?

I would really like to try that out... Not a single range has one to rent.

PPQ is a good gun as well.

C4

Devildawg2531
06-06-12, 16:03
They are out there (come across them all the time).

The M&P in 40 and 45 and 9C don't have accuracy issues and once we have barrels, the 9mm M&P will be the gun to own IMHO.

C4

Grant - appreciate your feedback on this; can you elaborate on your HK P30 comment above. In what way is other than price is the HK P30 twice the gun of a Gen 3 Glock 19? I would expect a typical G19 to be a 2.5 - 3' gun at 25 yards and the HK P30 to be a 2'' gun at 25 yards. As a Glock user I find HK DA / SA trigger's awkward. HK sights I would also replace and aftermarket support I would give the edge to Glock. Maybe reliability?

polydeuces
06-06-12, 16:06
They seem to be readily available, and priced reasonably.

http://www.impactguns.com/fn-fns-9mm-blk-17rd-ns-66928-845737001360.aspx

From what I read, is pretty much all what one can ask for.

But then again.....:

Gary1911A1
06-06-12, 18:58
Here's a video of Dave shooting a prototype of the FNS Longslide. We don't get to see the pistol, but at least we know it can't be far off.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeoYDbkkkmI&feature=plcp

Nowski87
03-27-14, 21:30
I got a FNS 9mm about 3 weeks ago and I really like it. I owned a 2 g19's 1 G17 and a G34 as wll as an M&P .45 and none of them have felt or worked as well for me as this gun has. Using the flat back strap gives me an angle more like the 1911's I'm used to. Also I have freaky hands with large palms and short fingers so hitting the mag release on a Glock even with the extended on is hard for me and uncomfortable. The newer FN's have night sights standard and no safety, the trigger isn't as nice as a stock Glock trigger. It's a little gritty and about a half pound heavier but a few dry fire sessions is smooths out and lightens up. fnfourm.net has a thread devoted to this and places that just need to be cleaned a little to help with the trigger.

The gun offers things that I would have to pay extra for on the Glock which is a big plus. Steel night sights are the big one, along with the front cocking serrations and the changeable back straps. There are a few people making holster for this gun now so that's no longer an issue, it comes with three mags ans you can find extras just have to look. What ever you choose I hope it works out for you. I know it worked for me much better than other options both Physically and monetarily.