PDA

View Full Version : Glock sight install - threadlocker?

LOKNLOD
01-14-08, 18:41
What's the appropriate threadlocker for the tiny screw on Glock front sights? Loc-tite blue, or red? Other? How much torque is needed?

Thanks...

Robb Jensen
01-14-08, 18:42
I use blue or green on the front sight screw. I torque by feel. It's probably about 10in lbs.

onmilo
01-14-08, 22:36
I use green #290 threadlocker and tighten by feel.
Trying to torque a front sight screw on a Glock is inviting twisting the screw head off.
When it feels as tight as the screw on a pair of glasses, it is tight enough, the threadlocker will do the rest.

GlockWRX
01-15-08, 09:34
Is this a night sight? Be very careful not to get any thread locker on the tip of the screw, only on the sides. The hole in the sight for the screw goes all the way through to the shaft that the tritium tube is in. When installed there is not a lot of clearance between the tip of the screw and the tritium tube, and if there is loc-tite on the tip of the screw it's possible to crack the tube and ruin the sight.

Like the others have said, I usually use blue loc-tite and tighten just enough to snug it down. It's easy to strip out those little threads. Check it after your next shooting session.

LOKNLOD
01-15-08, 19:24
I'm trying to put Warren tacticals with tritium front and plain rears. The sight is tall enough and screw short enough that the problem with the screw + loctite crunching the trit tube shouldn't be a problem. I used blue 242 and plan on shooting (and checking) a few times before an upcoming class I'm trying to make. I've got the front on fine now but I'm having hell getting the back site on. Any tips on that now?

Robb Jensen
01-15-08, 19:26
I'm trying to put Warren tacticals with tritium front and plain rears. The sight is tall enough and screw short enough that the problem with the screw + loctite crunching the trit tube shouldn't be a problem. I used blue 242 and plan on shooting (and checking) a few times before an upcoming class I'm trying to make. I've got the front on fine now but I'm having hell getting the back site on. Any tips on that now?

Use a MGW Glock sight tool and lube the slide a tiny bit with Militec. Warren rears fit the slide very tightly.

LOKNLOD
01-15-08, 19:40
Use a MGW Glock sight tool and lube the slide a tiny bit with Militec. Warren rears fit the slide very tightly.

No kidding. Very tight. I've got it flush with one side of the slide using my improvised sight pusher but now i'm worried I won't be able to get it centered.

Does the regular MGW tool work with most sights? It looks like the "tall" version is only necessary for those goofy ghost ring sights.

Robb Jensen
01-15-08, 19:43
No kidding. Very tight. I've got it flush with one side of the slide using my improvised sight pusher but now i'm worried I won't be able to get it centered.

Does the regular MGW tool work with most sights? It looks like the "tall" version is only necessary for those goofy ghost ring sights.

I have two MGW Glock sight pusher ones at least 4-5yrs old and the other is about 2yrs old. Both work with Heinie and Warren sights but there's very little extra room. If you can't get it I can help.

GlockWRX
01-15-08, 20:05
I'm trying to put Warren tacticals with tritium front and plain rears. The sight is tall enough and screw short enough that the problem with the screw + loctite crunching the trit tube shouldn't be a problem.

Roger. It mainly seemed to happen to Trijicon sights.

LOKNLOD
01-15-08, 22:35
Well crap fire and save matches...I give up. This thing is just too tight.

Robb Jensen
01-15-08, 22:38
Well crap fire and save matches...I give up. This thing is just too tight.

Send me the slide bro and $5 for return shipping and I'll center it up for you.

markm
01-16-08, 09:20
Same here. On tight rear sights, I get them started by simpley squeezing them flush in the bench vise itself. Then I beat it into place like and ARFcom member drifting tapered FSB pins the wrong direction! :D

Hadn't thought of lubing the dovetail cut though. :)

jackinfl
01-16-08, 13:21
If you don't have Robb (gotM4) help you, I have soem experience with this. I contacted Scott Warren and he advised that you may hato take some material off the sight. I did this VERY VERY slowly and it worked. I have a Glock factory tool, but I think the MGW is better.....

If you do not feel comfortable filing the bottom of the sight, send it to Robb. That is a generous offer.

LOKNLOD
01-16-08, 18:17
securing the slide in a sturdy vise, lubing the dovetail, and using a Delrin block and small hammer to drive the sight into the dovetail.

This is actually exactly how I was going about it. When I got past the point of hitting it, and reaching beating it, I surrendered. I then improvised a sight pusher with the delrin and a C-clamp and managed to get it flush with the slide.

Since I needed a box from work to mail it out to Robb anyway, I snuck it in to the machine shop and was able to secure it and press it to center. I don't think it'll need further adjusting but I sure hope I can drift it if I do...

Thanks again for the helpful tips, guys. And extra thanks to Robb for the offer of help.