PDA

View Full Version : Tangodown mags cheap

5pins
06-05-12, 20:00
Brownells has them for $10 each or five bucks with the good guy discount.

DSG also has them for $8.99 on close out.

seb5
06-05-12, 21:08
They must not have been selling much. I went to a class and the instructor really pushed them. I thought why not and bought 12. The first few I tried worked fine. By the time I got some rounds through all 12 I realized that they were inconsistent on lock back. I suppose they released them before the bugs were out as I understand the newer ones are supposed to work. For the price they offered nothing more than other products. It was one of the few products that were recommended to me by BTDT guys that were sub par. I was disappointed and had a guy that thought they were the business. I explained my issues and he offered me $8.00 each. I took the loss and bought some aluminums from DSG.

Littlelebowski
06-05-12, 21:19
What is the good guy discount at Brownells?

SomeOtherGuy
06-05-12, 21:24
Maybe this is a positive sign that the generation 2 version will finally be readily available? (I've read a review of them but have not seen any in the wild.)

I use a bunch of the gen 1's that of course I paid $12-15 a piece for. In my experience they have worked 100% when used in a midlength or rifle upper with M4 feedramps. Put them in a midlength without M4 feedramps and they choke pretty regularly. I read a detailed discussion of the reliability issue when fully loaded but can't remember offhand where I saw it.

5pins
06-05-12, 21:34
What is the good guy discount at Brownells?

Mil, LEO or dealer.

5pins
06-05-12, 21:38
Maybe this is a positive sign that the generation 2 version will finally be readily available? (I've read a review of them but have not seen any in the wild.)

I use a bunch of the gen 1's that of course I paid $12-15 a piece for. In my experience they have worked 100% when used in a midlength or rifle upper with M4 feedramps. Put them in a midlength without M4 feedramps and they choke pretty regularly. I read a detailed discussion of the reliability issue when fully loaded but can't remember offhand where I saw it.

I assumed they were gen 2.

I have one TD mag that I bought when they first came out it was around $22 at the time. I have not used it much and never got anymore because they did not do anything that Pmags did for a lot less.

usmcvet
06-05-12, 22:06
Mil, LEO or dealer.

Or armorer. No credentials were required when I signed up. I had them but was never asked.

ffhounddog
06-05-12, 22:44

I have 20 Mk2s at the house. They have been out for awhile now.

Of course these might be old MK1s.

I had issues with the Black Mk1s but the Foilage Green Mk1s I did not.

They are a good mag and TD backs them up.

5pins
06-06-12, 07:55
Or armorer. No credentials were required when I signed up. I had them but was never asked.

They don’t ask for proof or anything at least they didn’t when I change my account.

5pins
06-06-12, 07:57
I have 20 Mk2s at the house. They have been out for awhile now.

Of course these might be old MK1s.

I had issues with the Black Mk1s but the Foilage Green Mk1s I did not.

They are a good mag and TD backs them up.

How do you tell the difference between the MK1’s and the MK2’s?

G-lock
06-06-12, 09:08
Ordered 5 thanks for the heads up!

mike_556
06-06-12, 09:40
Dang it is exactly 5 bucks with the good guy discount! I don't know much about these mags....good? bad or indifferent opinions out there?

I just placed an order late last night with Brownells. Crap these might be gen 1s. I think I'll pass for now

06-06-12, 10:29
My sample size of one has had issues with almost every Tango mag. I've had.

Kyohte
06-06-12, 10:36
The MK1 almost universally had problems. My two were junk, and everyone else I know who tried them had the same problems. It was a design flaw. I use mine to set-up malfunctions now.

The MK2 works fine. At a low enough cost, they're a good magazine. The problem is they cannot be rebuilt (if there were to be another ban), and they cannot be cleaned in the traditional manner. If they're MK2s, and cheaper than Pmags, they're probably worth buying. If they're MK1 or more expensive than a Pmag, skip them.

ffhounddog
06-06-12, 10:42
Well my mk1 Foilage were okay but the issue with the black Mk1s the top round hit the front of the magazine and would not load. The foilage mk1s I had had more material on the magazine off and the round would load properly.

I ordered a few might be a great deal. At least I hope so.

PA PATRIOT
06-06-12, 11:18
I called over to Brownell's technical support and "Eric" pull a Tangodown 30rd magazine from the warehouse and stated the ones they have are unmarked generation wise.

2nd generation Tangodown magazines are supposed to be marked on the lower half so most likely these reduced price clearance Tangodown 30rd magazines are 1st generation which are known to have some issues.

mike_556
06-06-12, 11:27
I called over to Brownell's technical support and "Eric" pull a Tangodown 30rd magazine from the warehouse and stated the ones they have are unmarked generation wise.

2nd generation Tangodown magazines are supposed to be marked on the lower half so most likely these reduced price clearance Tangodown 30rd magazines are 1st generation which are known to have some issues.

Thank you! That sealed it. Very much appreciated, sir.

5pins
06-06-12, 17:36
DSG informed me that the ones thay have on sale are gen1.

ST911
06-06-12, 18:11
I am running a couple of dozen TD ARCs, both early ARCs and a pre-2nd gen revision. They are GTG for me.

roninMD
08-28-12, 00:20
I picked up 30 of the Gen 1's from the Brownell's deal, largely because Pat Rogers of EAG said they were GTG. (With the coming election I thought they would make good "stash" mags!) So far I've been using 5 of them to see how they do and have had good results with my BCM middy. I'll reserve judgement until I run a lot more rounds through these mags with the middy and my SBR (Mk 18 clone).

Thanks to all the above posters for the educational info on these early models. Glad to see that TD will stand behind them, though.

Doc

Facejackets
08-28-12, 00:21
Do they still have them for $5?