PDA

View Full Version : Confusion over sighting in a Golani at 25 meters

ak74auto
06-06-12, 00:10
My Galil PDF states that I should be hitting 15mm below POI at 25 meters, but Dr.Golani ( A member of another board) stated that he zeroed his Golani to hit 15 cm's below POI at 25 meters, that's a huge difference in terms front sight adjustment.

So, which one is it?

Thanks guys.
Signed,
Joseph

Failure2Stop
06-06-12, 06:31
My Galil PDF states that I should be hitting 15mm below POI at 25 meters, but Dr.Golani ( A member of another board) stated that he zeroed his Golani to hit 15 cm's below POI at 25 meters, that's a huge difference in terms front sight adjustment.

So, which one is it?

It is definitely NOT 15 centimeters low.
I am assuming a typo on his part.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Icculus
06-06-12, 07:33
15mm is just over half an inch while 15cm would be almost 6 inches low. Don't see how it could be 15cm at 25.

Jack-O
06-06-12, 09:08
I think someone got fat fingers and typed CM where they meant MM

KalashniKEV
06-06-12, 10:40
I assume that what you're trying to do is achieve a 50m zero on a 25m target.

http://aesirtraining.com/home/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/25-50-100-yard-zero.jpg

The offset is approximately 2".

15mm is slightly over .5", a negligible difference.

With a 55 grain bullet and a 16" barrel, the 25m zero produces a point of aim, point of impact at 25m, and again at ~350m. This trajectory “peaks” at approximately 200 meters, about 9 inches high from the point of aim.

With a 55 grain bullet and a 16" barrel, the 50m zero produces a point of aim, point of impact at 50m, and then again at ~225m. This zero only produces a “peak” about 2 inches high at between 125 and 150 yards.

You should just zero the rifle... however you would like to have it zeroed.

ak74auto
06-06-12, 11:22
I assume that what you're trying to do is achieve a 50m zero on a 25m target.

http://aesirtraining.com/home/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/25-50-100-yard-zero.jpg

The offset is approximately 2".

15mm is slightly over .5", a negligible difference.

With a 55 grain bullet and a 16" barrel, the 25m zero produces a point of aim, point of impact at 25m, and again at ~350m. This trajectory “peaks” at approximately 200 meters, about 9 inches high from the point of aim.

With a 55 grain bullet and a 16" barrel, the 50m zero produces a point of aim, point of impact at 50m, and then again at ~225m. This zero only produces a “peak” about 2 inches high at between 125 and 150 yards.

You should just zero the rifle... however you would like to have it zeroed.

My issue with this is that I have turned the front sight post down as far as it will go, but I am still hitting several inches low.

Failure2Stop
06-06-12, 17:39
My issue with this is that I have turned the front sight post down as far as it will go, but I am still hitting several inches low.

What do you mean by down?
Exactly how low are you at what range?
How are the rear sights set?

Pictures help.

ak74auto
06-06-12, 21:23
What do you mean by down?
Exactly how low are you at what range?
How are the rear sights set?

Pictures help.

I am using a M-4 target at 25 meters on family land. I am using the 300 meter rear sight, and even with the front post turned all the way down, I am hitting at least 3-4" low on the sight in target.

Failure2Stop
06-06-12, 23:12
I am using a M-4 target at 25 meters on family land. I am using the 300 meter rear sight, and even with the front post turned all the way down, I am hitting at least 3-4" low on the sight in target.

What rear sight setup do you have?

ak74auto
06-07-12, 00:06
What rear sight setup do you have?

The standard sight setup that comes on all Galil clones, a 300 and 500 meter peep sight. I am using the 300 meter peep sight. The barrel is 14.7" with a 1.5" flash hider.

Jippo
06-07-12, 01:02
There is a problem with the gun or your aiming. If the front sight is bottomed out, your gun shouldn't be able to shoot 3" low. You do know how to aim with Galil sights do you? Front sight ring centered to the diopter, aim with the center of the top of your front post?

nabO
06-07-12, 01:29
Is this a Century built clone?

ak74auto
06-07-12, 05:41
There is a problem with the gun or your aiming. If the front sight is bottomed out, your gun shouldn't be able to shoot 3" low. You do know how to aim with Galil sights do you? Front sight ring centered to the diopter, aim with the center of the top of your front post?

Yes, I know what the proper cheekweld and sight picture is.

ak74auto
06-07-12, 05:42

Yes, but it was supposedly gone over by a gunsmith, for what that's worth at this point.

Jippo
06-07-12, 10:18
Yes, I know what the proper cheekweld and sight picture is.

Sounds like you have something seriously wrong with your gun, then. I just can't figure out what it could be. It should be next to impossible for this to happen with proper parts.

Just to double check (not that it should matter that much) you have the rear blade fully upright and you are looking through the 300m diopter. Night sights are folded down, both front and rear. The front post is screwed in its bottom position and aiming with it you are hitting 3 inches low. If you are doing like this, it can't be much else than some mysterious (major) fault in the gun.

Dave_M
06-07-12, 10:19

Yes it is. This isn't the first I've heard of CAI 'Galils' having issues with zeroing (one of the myriad of reasons why I never bothered to purchase one).

KalashniKEV
06-07-12, 11:05
I guess if you're printing tight and low on the target, and need to go down more you could always shave the front sight post... ridiculous, but it would be a quick fix.

I shot my Golani until it broke, but it was very accurate. Turns out even the improved Caspian/GLN receivers have soft ejectors.

I sent it off to Galil Guru Jeff Miller of Hillbilly Firearms and he removed and welded in a new ejector. Now I'm running 100% with consistent forward-and-up ejection. I actually shoot it quite often.

I would recommend sending the gun to him if you want to get it right.

nabO
06-07-12, 14:53

Yes, but it was supposedly gone over by a gunsmith, for what that's worth at this point.

I know I sound like a broken record but "that right there is yer problem".

I hope you're able to fix it and be satisfied but past experience tells me that you will always be pissed at this rifle.

I was a victim of the "CETME debacle" and vowed to never again purchase a Century built product.